U.S. Social Security For Your Foreign Spouse

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Starting a new topic as there seems to be a lot of interest.  Seems that quite a few here are in those decision making years.  If possible, use SSA links to add information.

SSA Rules on Residency of Spouse:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302610025

Takeaway:  Your foreign spouse must have 5 years residency in the U.S. to get SS based on your SS earnings and account.  However, if she becomes a U.S. citizen, the 5 year rule no longer applies.

Spousal benefit calculator:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/spouse.html

Possible caregiver benefit:

If your spouse is caring for your children under 16, she can get a caregiver benefit when you start collecting SS.  Not sure about the residency requirement but I think it does not apply.  Need some help on this one.

Spousal benefit is based on your PIA: 

PIA changes every year.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/Benefits.html#aime

Question:  Does anyone know where to get the updated PIA and Family Maximum amounts every year?  They used to have them on the annual statements but don't seem to be there anymore.  I have a calculation but not 100% sure it matches theirs.

@mountainside@Mike J

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Question:  Does anyone know where to get the updated PIA and Family Maximum amounts every year?

A non-SSA website (not posting the link in order to avoid unofficial information sources) says to log in to your SSA account.  Then find the section near the bottom of the first page labeled "Your family qualifies for Survivors Benefits." Then click on the link labeled "Learn more about Survivors Benefits."  The table that pops up will display your maximum family benefit at the bottom.

So I gave it a try.  No such section for my account.  I think that's because SSA doesn't see a family for me since my wife isn't yet eligible for SSA benefits.  Maybe a member who has a family recognized by SSA can take a shot at it and see what happens.

Edited by mountainside

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, mountainside said:

A non-SSA website (not posting the link in order to avoid unofficial information sources) says to log in to your SSA account.  Then find the section near the bottom of the first page labeled "Your family qualifies for Survivors Benefits." Then click on the link labeled "Learn more about Survivors Benefits."  The table that pops up will display your maximum family benefit at the bottom.

So I gave it a try.  No such section for my account.  I think that's because SSA doesn't see a family for me since my wife isn't yet eligible for SSA benefits.  Maybe a member who has a family recognized by SSA can take a shot at it and see what happens.

No, doesn't work for me.  No such link.  My 2 daughters get benefits.

On my statement, it says this, among other related notes:

Survivors Benefits
We are not giving you estimates because our records show that you are already receiving or have qualified for benefits.

• Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For those interested, there is related information in this thread I started in 2015 and then revived in 2018 just before my kids got their SS.  Some of the opening information is incorrect so read the whole thing.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/21342-us-social-security-child-benefits/

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Question:  Does anyone know where to get the updated PIA and Family Maximum amounts every year?  They used to have them on the annual statements but don't seem to be there anymore.  I have a calculation but not 100% sure it matches theirs.

I called SS tonight.  It took me 54 minutes to get through.  I was able to get my 2023 PIA and Family Maximum.   I had manually calculated it using their published formulas, and my calculated PIA was 34.76 less than theirs, and my calculated Family Max was ~35 less than theirs.

Turns out my two kids and I use all of the Family Max except for 40 cents!

• Like 1