SRRV renewal fun

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I have had a bit of fun renewing my SRRV extended courtesy. Following a few emails backwards and forwards with the PRA and getting information in dribs and draps I eventually sussed that I had to fill in an application form and produce my passport bio page, ID, copy of current SRRV and proof of payment into a US Dollar account with an additional $5 for admin fee from the Landbank and a seperate 150 peso for the courier.

I went online to my bank the HSBC and selected paying Pesos converting to Dollars with the Landbank with a few hundred additional Pesos to be safe. After filling all the information in and trying to send it I received a message saying they can only transfer from the HSBC in Pesos. 

I tried again in Pesos and the money was sent, two hours later I get a rejected message from the Landbank as they don't accept local currency.  No problem I will go to the mainland to the Landbank as it was just after 2pm.  I arrived at the Landbank to find it closes at 3pm and it was now 3:10pm arggggghh.

No problem I will head over next morning after sourcing Dollars and pay in Dollars. Get up early and hit every bank as they opened and none would sell me Dollars due to bank policy unless a member. I then tried multiple currency exchangers and again all refused me. On my last attempt I entered a currency exchange and noticed a lot of money on the edge of the counter my side of the glass screen.  I pointed it out to the teller who said it was her bosses oops. I think this good deed helped as she sold me $20 after a strange look.

Off to the mainland with a skip in my step to the Landbank confident that I'll just pay in Dollars and be one my way.  Sorry sir we don't accept Dollars. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): I asked them if they were serious and apparently they were so I got them to phone head office and sort their act out.  As they were phoning the PRA emailed as I'd been giving them a running commentary to tell me I could have just paid it into a seperate Peso account which they linked to. Nothing like not telling me the day before when I highlighted the issues I was having or even telling me on day one of the escapade. 

It's more fun in the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I have had a bit of fun renewing my SRRV extended courtesy. Following a few emails backwards and forwards with the PRA and getting information in dribs and draps I eventually sussed that I had to fill in an application form and produce my passport bio page, ID, copy of current SRRV and proof of payment into a US Dollar account with an additional $5 for admin fee from the Landbank and a seperate 150 peso for the courier.

I went online to my bank the HSBC and selected paying Pesos converting to Dollars with the Landbank with a few hundred additional Pesos to be safe. After filling all the information in and trying to send it I received a message saying they can only transfer from the HSBC in Pesos. 

I tried again in Pesos and the money was sent, two hours later I get a rejected message from the Landbank as they don't accept local currency.  No problem I will go to the mainland to the Landbank as it was just after 2pm.  I arrived at the Landbank to find it closes at 3pm and it was now 3:10pm arggggghh.

No problem I will head over next morning after sourcing Dollars and pay in Dollars. Get up early and hit every bank as they opened and none would sell me Dollars due to bank policy unless a member. I then tried multiple currency exchangers and again all refused me. On my last attempt I entered a currency exchange and noticed a lot of money on the edge of the counter my side of the glass screen.  I pointed it out to the teller who said it was her bosses oops. I think this good deed helped as she sold me $20 after a strange look.

Off to the mainland with a skip in my step to the Landbank confident that I'll just pay in Dollars and be one my way.  Sorry sir we don't accept Dollars. :571c66d400c8c_1(103): I asked them if they were serious and apparently they were so I got them to phone head office and sort their act out.  As they were phoning the PRA emailed as I'd been giving them a running commentary to tell me I could have just paid it into a seperate Peso account which they linked to. Nothing like not telling me the day before when I highlighted the issues I was having or even telling me on day one of the escapade. 

It's more fun in the Philippines.

Wonder if this is one of the advantages of an agent.

Mine was due couple of months ago, e mailed my agent whom did the application, she sent me the required amount to pay and a private bank account number being one of the heads of PRA.. Red lights  started flashing......Hey why not the PRA account number, she stated it would involve a heap of nonsense plus time to identify my funds.....Me..anything worth a go to ovoid bureaucracy.

Accepted this is as my agent had shown to me, to be a person of integrity. Paid the funds in and within a few days received my new card.

Sure some funds would of gone ...say......astray but who cares as amount was very close to what was stated on web site and all so easy.......

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted

I've heard that PRA hopes to soon be able to restore the three-year renewal option.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I also heard from the main Makati office that "hopefully" the 3 years will be installed.

Snowy.. what a saga/song and dance and clusterfuck. All 3 !!!!

In December I made appt for my renewal. Got to the office and 50 people waiting for renewals. Took 3 hours to get to see someone who merely checked my  SRRV number , said pay cash then return. I paid, submitted receipt and clerk said come back in 2 hours.. she said lunch break. I suggested that govt department no longer take lunch breaks ( they had signs saying so after all ) , she just laughed. so a simple renewal that previously had taken 30 minutes became 5 plus hours.

On returning home, google reviews got to learn of that saga. So far 2500 have seen it.

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Freebie said:

Took 3 hours to get to see someone

When I held my SRRV from 2015-2019 all was quick, efficient, and cordial.  Given that the youngsters are no longer eligible for the visa, I had assumed that PRA workload would drop significantly and that things would go even more quickly.  Eight days ago, weighing whether or not to apply for a new SRRV, I emailed PRA with two questions:  If I add my wife to an SRRV, will she be able to keep the visa if I die before she does?  If so, will she be able to cancel and get the deposit returned without court and lawyer involvement?  No answer yet.

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mountainside said:

If I add my wife to an SRRV, will she be able to keep the visa if I die before she does?  

I think there was another topic about this but the question is, is your wife a Filipino citizen? I guess not if you are getting her a visa.

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think there was another topic about this but the question is, is your wife a Filipino citizen? I guess not if you are getting her a visa

Thanks.  Saw the other topic.  My wife is a Filipino citizen, and we're in the US now.  She's applied for US citizenship, which I think will be granted.  If she reaffirms Philippine citizenship and becomes a dual citizen, that opens up the balikbayan or 13A options for me.  But it would really complicate estate planning (Philippine mandatory distribution rules, trying to probate a US will in a Philippine court, BRI involvement).  So I'm exploring the possibility of going the SRRV route again, and adding her to the visa, which she would be ineligible for if she reaffirms Philippine citizenship.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

At times I wonder about the numerous train wreck stories when reading articles on this and other forums. Visas obviously lead  the list along with property or relationship dramas.

Recently have met quite a few people from various countries whom are almost laughing at  us law abiding people.  So many that are here illegally, the typical reaction is why bother, already old, no intention of going anywhere. Some live in the city others in more remote areas. 

None have ever been asked to show there immigration status, one guy I know even went to the barangay Captain whom suggested just lay low should not be a problem, he is well know in his town, even runs a sari sari store. Another recently appeared in court on a minor charge of unjust verification, was fined and never a mention of his status.

Please note in no way do condone this or suggest it, just pointing out the decision of so many elderly long noses here.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, RBM said:

just pointing out the decision of so many elderly long noses here.

I may get to that point, but not until the Alzheimer's sets in.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, RBM said:

At times I wonder about the numerous train wreck stories when reading articles on this and other forums. Visas obviously lead  the list along with property or relationship dramas.

Recently have met quite a few people from various countries whom are almost laughing at  us law abiding people.  So many that are here illegally, the typical reaction is why bother, already old, no intention of going anywhere. Some live in the city others in more remote areas. 

None have ever been asked to show there immigration status, one guy I know even went to the barangay Captain whom suggested just lay low should not be a problem, he is well know in his town, even runs a sari sari store. Another recently appeared in court on a minor charge of unjust verification, was fined and never a mention of his status.

Please note in no way do condone this or suggest it, just pointing out the decision of so many elderly long noses here.

I've a friend who is a walking disaster, you name it he has suffered it. The latest being his ex partner trying to get him jailed and kicked out of the country on trumped up charges, he is on his ars@ financially as can't work, no pension and she got him arrested, jailed and passport taken off him. 

He was bailed by a friend and they held his passport. A few court cases have passed and she never appeared for any of them and in the end even her attorney said she is messing everyone around so the judge threw this case out.  He has another one pending but he was released and handed his passport back even though he is a good year out of date on his visa and no way of paying any back fees or penalties, it appears as long as he hasn't annoyed the wrong person they don't care about his visa status. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1