Baseboard, yes or no?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

LOL.  You wait 'till you get back to the real world.  Your family will pressure you to get a home with nice clean lines like this pic.  Perhaps you will switch to white socks and sandals too.  :1927_:

temp.jpg

Actually, if you zoom in and look closely, there is a small baseboard.  That particular wood finish looks good with a small baseboard.  When I googled "wood floors in homes", 90+% have a nice baseboard.

In any case, take your sandals off and that floor would be excellent for running and sliding in your white socks!  :hystery:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What about ceilings.  I remember the days when shoddy workmanship, or the lack of a need to make a perfect connection around the edge of ceilings, prompted the use of crown moldings.  Now I think they are just fashion because most first world builders DO make a perfect connection between wall and ceiling.  I prefer clean lines on ceiling and floor, but that's just one man's opinion.  I am not a fan of chair rails either.

Picture of our new living room ceiling.   I have done a number of remodels while living in the states.   I never cared for a chair rail if it was "just there".  What I did think looked good and actually incorporated into two different remodels was wainscoting on the lower wall, capped with a chair rail.   Always received positive comments, but maybe they were just being polite.  :tongue:

IMG_20230324_064151.jpg

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Picture of our new living room ceiling.   I have done a number of remodels while living in the states.   I never cared for a chair rail if it was "just there".  What I did think looked good and actually incorporated into two different remodels was wainscoting on the lower wall, capped with a chair rail.   Always received positive comments, but maybe they were just being polite.  :tongue:

IMG_20230324_064151.jpg

I know chair rail is considered old fashioned nowadays but I installed it throughout in our house here, and picture rail in the main room as it has high enough ceilings to make it work.  I like it as a divider between different colours on the walls.  In the main room we have three colours on the walls, separated by the mouldings.  In the other rooms we have two colours separated by the chair rail.  Baseboard throughout except CRs.

I did it all myself and I enjoy doing such easyish DIY tasks.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1