Beggars Go Hi-Tech

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There are several recent stories about beggars in China and India going hi-tech.  They are oftentimes told, "I don't have any cash."  The new strategy is to present you with a QR code or similar digital wallet payment system so you can still make a donation.  Let's wait and see how long before this novel idea makes it to the Philippines.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

There are several recent stories about beggars in China and India going hi-tech.  They are oftentimes told, "I don't have any cash."  The new strategy is to present you with a QR code or similar digital wallet payment system so you can still make a donation.  Let's wait and see how long before this novel idea makes it to the Philippines.

Knew a guy in the USA who told a panhandler; "I'd you help out but I am a little short myself".   Panhandler gave him a dollar and wished him luck. :tongue:

• Haha 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Given how innovative the ppl here can be, especially when it comes to scams, I’m surprised it didn’t originate here, lol

Instead of the “I don’t have cash or coins” reply, I use the Nancy Reagan strategy of just saying “No”. 

• Like 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

Instead of the “I don’t have cash or coins” reply, I use the Nancy Reagan strategy of just saying “No”. 

I've moved beyond "No", to "DON'T TOUCH ME"

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The Hawkers on Boracay have been using Gcash for a while now. No money no problem, here scan my code. Even the Taho guy at 20 peso a shot. 

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2023 at 5:55 AM, Gator said:

That's my normal response to street beggers however a while back a gang of street kids followed me after I left a greenwich pizza, asked for peso "no", asked louder for peso "No" screamed for peso "NO" screamed again and the group surrounded me "NO!"... then he ran at me and spat on me.

When I moved towards him he looked scared and backed off, looked across the road and I followed his glance.

There was an adult filipino man, no doubt his handler who glared at me, I got my phone out glared back and he waved and the kids ran away.

Then I walked back to the Greenwich Pizza, instead of the few blocks to the hotel and had a coke and a desert.

They hadn't reapeared by the time I'd finished so I went back to the hotel.

I did see them hanging around the Greenwich Pizza next night so I stopped at a closer place to get takeaway and didn't go further.

Moral of the story?  None really... just No doesn't always have exactly the effect us westerners would expect :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted

Professional panhandlers see me from a mile away as a "soft touch".  At heart I still am, but I've learned to harden my heart.  Never engage and keep moving.  They recalculate and leave me and my wife alone.  Mostly.  Groups of them have on very rare occasions gotten right in my face, always when departing a ferry or bus with luggage.  I pretend that I'm very important and ask the lead kuya to find me the right taxi.  50 pesos worked, and actually got me fine service.

All in all, I prefer dealing with Asian panhandlers to our American ones.  

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

then he ran at me and spat on me.

With all respect:  time to leave that place.  They don't deserve you.

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

'Wala quarta', and the beggars leave me alone ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

A quick little shake of my head and a low shake of my finger below waist height  normally works for me.  The more persistent after that I just look right ahead and keep walking.  No point engaging.  

• Like 1