Need a bank recomendation.

wheelbarrowhandle
Posted
Posted

When we did the SRRV with picked BDO and the PRA sorted out the account at BDO in Manila, When we arrived we were taken to BDO and were then able to open a php account which we now use. We can see the contents of the SRRV account under my wife's login. As it show as a seperate account. My only problem with BDO is the 50K max per day transfer. This has made some purchases complicated as you needed to do serval transactions. I have done many transfers from the UK using wise and the money arrives reasonably quickly.

I haven't yet look for any alternatives but will do soon. As I would like a second account somewhere else.

We also now have a BDO Network bank in the local town, so getting money out is no longer a 2hr trip.

Paul

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, wheelbarrowhandle said:

When we did the SRRV with picked BDO and the PRA sorted out the account at BDO in Manila, When we arrived we were taken to BDO and were then able to open a php account which we now use. We can see the contents of the SRRV account under my wife's login. As it show as a seperate account. My only problem with BDO is the 50K max per day transfer. This has made some purchases complicated as you needed to do serval transactions. I have done many transfers from the UK using wise and the money arrives reasonably quickly.

I haven't yet look for any alternatives but will do soon. As I would like a second account somewhere else.

We also now have a BDO Network bank in the local town, so getting money out is no longer a 2hr trip.

Paul

It probably doesn't apply, but BPI have the same 50k limit by default but you can go into the app and change it to up to 250k.  I've never tried it though as I never have needed to transfer such an amount.  

Clermont
Posted
Posted

We’ve always used Landbank and as above 50 k is all ATM will spit out, if you want more you have to go into a branch with ID, no hassles.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, hk blues said:

It probably doesn't apply, but BPI have the same 50k limit by default but you can go into the app and change it to up to 250k.  I've never tried it though as I never have needed to transfer such an amount.  

Yes you can choose up to 100k and a purchase limit of up to 250.

In the screenshot, I have got it set at 60 but as I said, 100k is the max 

card settings.PNG

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Clermont said:

We’ve always used Landbank and as above 50 k is all ATM will spit out, if you want more you have to go into a branch with ID, no hassles.

Most have a withdrawal from an ATM set limit per transaction. To get 50k from one withdrawal I would think is better than most banks.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Clermont said:

You're lucky - my BPI will only give 20k and that's if it's a BPI machine, otherwise it's 10K.  Metrobank is 50K any machine (assuming the machines are working and not limiting withdrawals to 5k or whatever, something which seems to be happening more and more - nothing to do with the 18php fee they make each time we use the ATM I'm sure:whistling:)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Metrobank is 50K any machine

Do you mean 50K in one transaction.  In my day an ATM could dispense only 40 notes at a time, so 40K pesos max.  Are they all better now?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do you mean 50K in one transaction.  In my day an ATM could dispense only 40 notes at a time, so 40K pesos max.  Are they all better now?

No - only 10k per transaction so I'd need to do 5x transactions to get the full 50K.  In theory, I can get 20K in one transaction at a BPI machine for a BPI account but it almost never works and I have to do 2x transactions of 10k to get the daily limit of 20k. IIRC, it's impossible to get more than 10k each time for a non-BPI ATM as the maximum amount on the screen is 10k and there is no option to select a higher amount. And all of the above assumes the ATM is actually giving the full 10k per transaction which is definitely not always the case!  And, each transaction costs me 18php! 

YMMV as it's very much account dependant. 

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

And, each transaction costs me 18php! 

YMMV as it's very much account dependant. 

The only ATM in the close by (and small) mall that will take my cards charges me 250 peso per withdrawl so I don't use that unless I really have to.

I'd love an account that only charged 18php!

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The only ATM in the close by (and small) mall that will take my cards charges me 250 peso per withdrawl so I don't use that unless I really have to.

I'd love an account that only charged 18php!

Sure...but it's a local account!  I needed to withdraw a large amount last Sunday and it cost me 2 San Migs!

ETA - Maybe I'm just not used to paying for ATM's as I never had to in Hong Kong or in the UK.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1