Filipina Dual Citizens and Income Tax

mountainside
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

why would she be want the dual citizenship?

14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good question.  Only answers I can think of are:  Everybody does it.  Or dreaming about going back there to retire some day.  Are there other reasons?

Dave, my wife will soon become a US citizen.  We'll return to the Phils in a few months (SRRV).  She says it's up to me whether she'll become a dual.  After researching the issue, and consulting with a Filipino attorney, we've decided to forego dual citizenship for the time being.  Advantages of dual:  right to vote; visa-free entry to countries (such as Cambodia) that Americans need a visa for;  right to hold public office;  right to purchase or inherit land.  Also the ability to sponsor a spouse for a 13A visa.  As to Pinoy Pride, my wife is a proud Filipino but doesn't think she needs to reaffirm citizenship to demonstrate that pride.  And her family and friends won't think less of her if her only citizenship is American.  They're proud of her (and me) for acquiring her US citizenship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2023 at 9:39 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone else come across this?

My wife got her dual prior to us retiring and moving here. So far there is no detrimental effect only positives really. Early on, with her being a dual we had no problem with land titles, opening bank accounts, signing up for phone, tv, water, power and other things that they ask for proof of citizenship right up front. Plus when she turned 60 she got her senior discount card.

She got it in the States, and as far as I remember it was hassle free and I dont remember the amount of the fee so it must have been minimal.

She does not pay any tax on her US pensions to the Phil government only to uncle sam.

• Thanks 1