Is crime in the Philippines increasing?

Summer of 69
Posted
Posted

I have an 11 month old son living near Ozamiz with his mother and it seems to me like the crime in the area has increased over the past year or two, with many incidents of kidnapping, robbery and even murder.

So I am interested to hear if other members on this site have experienced increasing crime in their areas. I am especially interested in Cebu city as this seems to be the best option as a new place for them to move to.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Summer of 69 said:

So I am interested to hear if other members on this site have experienced increasing crime in their areas. I am especially interested in Cebu city as this seems to be the best option as a new place for them to move to.

I dont see or hear of any more or less crime in Cebu. I think I read somewhere not long back that crime in Cebu City had decreased but that might of been because of covid where there were lockdowns and movement restrictions.

If you want somewhere safe try the IT Park.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Summer of 69. Glad to have you join us here. :tiphat:

I agree with Jollygoodfellow. IT Park and Cebu City generally has low crime except for a few known locations with meth/shabu infestations. Murder is rare there. 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I haven't seen an increase in crime over the last 5 or 6 years, around CDO or around Ozamis... if anything the reverse is true.

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I dont see or hear of any more or less crime in Cebu.

Less beggars, more shooters

Three persons wounded after getting caught in the crossfire between two rival youth gangs in Barangay Parian, Cebu City around 5:30 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 22, 2022 https://web.facebook.com/watch/?v=1295724557874085

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1949291/cebu/local-news/after-attending-misa-de-gallo-mass-goer-killed-in-crossfire

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

Ive lived in the same town for the past 26 years and crime levels have definitely decreased. 

• Like 1

Summer of 69
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I haven't seen an increase in crime over the last 5 or 6 years, around CDO or around Ozamis... if anything the reverse is true.

Thank you for this reply. Your impression of CDO is more or less in line with what I have heard, but I am interested to know how much time you have spent in Misamis Occidental (the province that Ozamiz is in) or what you base your opinion on? My sons mother has two first hand accounts from the parents of kidnapped children and has been stabbed and robbed herself and has told me about several similar crimes that have happened in the area over the past few months. I have not been able to find much about this online, but my impression is that it is a minority of such crimes that have reports that are easily found with Google.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Summer of 69 said:

Thank you for this reply. Your impression of CDO is more or less in line with what I have heard, but I am interested to know how much time you have spent in Misamis Occidental (the province that Ozamiz is in) or what you base your opinion on? 

A lot of SWMBO family live in Ozamis and I visit there quite a lot (and stay for weeks at a time most times).

I would say that CDO is better, from a corruption and crime standpoint compared to Ozamis, but it's my impression (and stated by several of the family members) that the 'bad people' weren't in the baranguy (in Ozamiz) any more (and that applies to several family members in various baranguays).

Certainly they used to be cautious about me going into some areas 5 or 6 years ago but they're relaxed about it now (no they're not here now was the comment).

It should be said that my personal experience only relates to certain specific areas and probably shouldn't be regarded as something that applies to the whole of Misamis Occidental.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Summer of 69
Posted
Posted

Thank you GeoffH, it seems like you have solid knowledge about Ozamiz as well. Also, thank you to all the others that posted in this thread, it is all very valuable information for me in ensuring my sons safety and well being.

• Like 1