LTO: No more periodic medical for 5, 10-year DL holders

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Here's some good news to start the week for both 5-year and 10-year driver's license holders.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has removed the periodic medical exam, which previously required DL holders to undergo another medical exam in the third year for drivers with 5-year license validity, and in the fourth and seventh years for drivers with 10-year valid licenses.

According to LTO Chief Jay Art Tugade, the agency decided to remove the requirement as “there's no empirical data that says periodic medical exams prevent road crashes”, said LTO Chief Jay Art Tugade as to why the agency decided to remove the requirement.

It means the medical exam will only be required for driver's license renewals and new driver's license applications.

For valid DL holders, the removal of the periodic medical exam is a definite relief, as not only will it save them a considerable amount of money, but also the precious time and effort consumed in going back to LTO-accredited medical centers every three or so years just to satisfy the requirement.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/lto-no-more-periodic-medical-for-5-10-year-dl-holders.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

One step at a time we can see improvements here. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

Here's some good news to start the week for both 5-year and 10-year driver's license holders.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has removed the periodic medical exam, which previously required DL holders to undergo another medical exam in the third year for drivers with 5-year license validity, and in the fourth and seventh years for drivers with 10-year valid licenses.

According to LTO Chief Jay Art Tugade, the agency decided to remove the requirement as “there's no empirical data that says periodic medical exams prevent road crashes”, said LTO Chief Jay Art Tugade as to why the agency decided to remove the requirement.

It means the medical exam will only be required for driver's license renewals and new driver's license applications.

For valid DL holders, the removal of the periodic medical exam is a definite relief, as not only will it save them a considerable amount of money, but also the precious time and effort consumed in going back to LTO-accredited medical centers every three or so years just to satisfy the requirement.

https://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/lto-no-more-periodic-medical-for-5-10-year-dl-holders.html

I wonder if that will include seniors?

• Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Saw this on a CNN ticker at the bottom of the screen while watching the senate enquiry into Degarno's death yesterday.  Gonna put a lot of sham medicos in the vicinity of LTO's out of business around the country; well the one near Dumaguete LTO is a joke anyway.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Gonna put a lot of sham medicos in the vicinity of LTO's out of business around the country; well the one near Dumaguete LTO is a joke anyway.

Many years ago the LTO decided no more drugs testing BUT these so called sham medicos ( not my words) petitioned the Government and the Testing was reinstated, so my friends I would not hold your breath to long  :tiphat:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I wonder if that will include seniors?

Everyone will still need the check on renewal so hopefully that will suffice.

Let's be honest, the medical check is not really a medical check so I can't see why they would feel it would be needed for seniors except as a money earner - if they want it as a money earner they wouldn't be proposing to stop it at all for the vast majority of drivers. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Many years ago the LTO decided no more drugs testing BUT these so called sham medicos ( not my words) petitioned the Government and the Testing was reinstated, so my friends I would not hold your breath to long  :tiphat:

I agree Jack, but I guess I take heart from the fact they at least recognise the weaknesses in their systems and hopefully in time they can start to actually implement some of the planned improvements.

Baby steps.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I take heart from the fact they at least recognise the weaknesses in their systems and hopefully in time they can start to actually implement some of the planned improvements.

That HK is a dream I tend to think we all have But we have to remember that money talks and loss of money is unacceptable here as I am sure many will agree 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

That HK is a dream I tend to think we all have But we have to remember that money talks and loss of money is unacceptable here as I am sure many will agree 

The same was said with the change of passport renewal from 5 to 10 years, Jack - yet here we are with 10 year renewals now.   

Dream do come true now and again! 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The same was said with the change of passport renewal from 5 to 10 years, Jack - yet here we are with 10 year renewals now.   

So was the upping of 5 to 10 years for the driving License, No one outside the DFA lost revenue because of it, Passport) I am sure you will agree so the two issues are very far removed:tiphat: 

• Hmm thinking 1