To VAT or not to VAT

EddP
Posted
Posted

On the immigration/customs form is something asking about purchases from abroad. What is this mean? I’m bringing 4 laptops that cost me $750 total. Do I need to declare it here? I want to do the right thing but not cause me a delay if I omit. 

IMG_6243.jpeg

Gator
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, EddP said:

On the immigration/customs form is something asking about purchases from abroad. What is this mean? I’m bringing 4 laptops that cost me $750 total. Do I need to declare it here? I want to do the right thing but not cause me a delay if I omit. 

IMG_6243.jpeg

I could be mistaken, but I believe that question is for residents of the Philippines who are returning from abroad. I’ve always just put a “0” when it was a paper form. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I believe that question is for residents of the Philippines who are returning from abroad.

I agree with Gator.  Never had a problem leaving that blank on the paper form.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Shooting blanks? 

Yes it's not really for anyone but Filipinos. 

5 hours ago, EddP said:

I’m bringing 4 laptops that cost me $750 total. Do I need to declare it here?

Anything over 10K in peso value could have an import tax. Why people bring in laptops beats me. Anyway, other topics here said they had no problem bringing in laptops. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Shooting blanks? 

Anything over 10K in peso value could have an import tax. Why people bring in laptops beats me. Anyway, other topics here said they had no problem bringing in laptops. 

Laptops are much cheaper, and a better variety, from the USA.  This is especially true for newer, more powerful, machines.

Example from Lazada;

Lenovo IdeaPad core I5 w/8 gigs RAM, and 1/2 terabyte SSD driver.  38,295 peso (about $696).

Same machine from Amazon with 20 gigs of RAM for $519 (about 28.5K peso).  And that includes free shipping to the Philippines.

(I used an exchange rate of 55 peso to the dollar).

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Same machine from Amazon with 20 gigs of RAM for $519 (about 28.5K peso).  And that includes free shipping to the Philippines.

I understand what you are saying and agree that laptops are much more expensive in PH, but the Amazon example would include ~$230 duty and tax deposit, bringing the total to around $750,  Cheaper on Lazada.  To take advantage of the cheaper prices in the U.S., you need to find away around the duties and taxes.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe that question is for residents of the Philippines who are returning from abroad.

6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Shooting blanks? 

I'm not understanding the "only for Filipinos" statements.  Is there a reference for that?

I agree that it is rare here in the Philippines, but technically you can be pulled aside for customs inspection.  Why is the "over 10k" mentioned if there is no problem?

New vs. used makes a difference too!  Bringing 4 used computers vs. 4 brand new computers.  4 brand new computers might indicate intent to resell.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I understand what you are saying and agree that laptops are much more expensive in PH, but the Amazon example would include ~$230 duty and tax deposit, bringing the total to around $750,  Cheaper on Lazada.  To take advantage of the cheaper prices in the U.S., you need to find away around the duties and taxes.

You sir are correct and I see that now.  I do not recall having to pay import fees when I bought this laptop from Amazon but that was quite a few years back.  But the tariff folks did contact me and I had to submit a notarized document saying the laptop was for personal use, not for resell, and that I had not imported another pc within the previous 12 months.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

You sir are correct and I see that now.  I do not recall having to pay import fees when I bought this laptop from Amazon but that was quite a few years back.  But the tariff folks did contact me and I had to submit a notarized document saying the laptop was for personal use, not for resell, and that I had not imported another pc within the previous 12 months.

That is good info for this topic.  Which carrier did it arrive on?  DHL, FEDEX, UPS????

The Amazon amount is a deposit, and I think you can get it back if customs does not ding you for all or part of it.

If I knew the rules on laptops, for certain, and the rule was "one per year duty free allowed", I certainly would consider getting one on Amazon.

Edited by OnMyWay

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not understanding the "only for Filipinos" statements.  Is there a reference for that?

You will notice that the question is something like:  How much did you purchase abroad.  Well if it meant for foreigners you would have to add up everything you have spent in your lifetime.  :hystery:  So just common sense to me.