Whole House Water Filtration Systems

JohnGalt84
Posted
Posted

Has anyone had any experience with a whole house water filtration system? Recommendations or luck? 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Not necessary unless the water is really bad.  Normally, you install one filtration device attached to the kitchen sink.  The reason is to remove impurities from your drinking and cooking water.  To do the entire house is overkill.  Just avoid inhaling water while showering and use filtered water for brushing teeth.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

To do the entire house is overkill. 

In one house I lived in, I was subjected to Staphylococcus aureus in the municipal water.  It caused me to break out in boils multiple times until I figured it out and added sufficient chlorine to my water storage tank.  Without a water storage tank, water filtration to the entire house may have prevented it.  Staph is common in the Philippines.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In one house I lived in, I was subjected to Staphylococcus aureus in the municipal water.  It caused me to break out in boils multiple times until I figured it out and added sufficient chlorine to my water storage tank.  Without a water storage tank, water filtration to the entire house may have prevented it.  Staph is common in the Philippines.

About 30 or 40 years ago, there was very little bottled water sold in Canadian and American stores.  The difference between municipal tap and bottled water is the removal of chlorine.  In theory, bottled is less safe.  But everyone has become accustomed to purchasing bottled water as a convenience. 

Yes.  There are areas in the Philippines where the water is not safe.  

Joey G
Posted
Posted

There are different types of water filtration systems. We use reverse osmosis in the US, but mainly because we have a well. 

If I was building a house there I'd install one, they are easy to maintain. However, when we visit we usually go with using the 5 gallon purified water bottle route which is easy to get delivered nowadays. 

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The difference between municipal tap and bottled water is the removal of chlorine. 

I think you mean... chlorine is not added...  The majority of bottled water I see in the store doesn't originate from chlorinated municipal tap water.  

Side note... Many USA municipalities also started adding fluoride to the drinking water.... and my dentist says thats likely why I have so few cavities :)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

I think you mean... chlorine is not added...  The majority of bottled water I see in the store doesn't originate from chlorinated municipal tap water.  

Side note... Many USA municipalities also started adding fluoride to the drinking water.... and my dentist says thats likely why I have so few cavities :)

Even with names like Poland Spring, the primary source is municipal water.  Bottlers remove the chlorine through filtration to improve the taste.  

In areas with fluoridated water, the dental check-up recommendation is once a year.  In places like the Philippines, it is twice a year visits.  The dentist includes fluoride treatment as part of the check-up.  

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  There are areas in the Philippines where the water is not safe. 

Perhaps an understatement:

According to the World Bank, almost a third, or 31 percent of illnesses in the Philippines, monitored for a five-year period were caused by water-borne pathogens.

Source: https://www.greenpeace.org/static/planet4-philippines-stateless/2019/05/11e8551c-11e8551c-the-state-of-water-in-the-phil.pdfh

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Reverse osmosis, ultraviolet and chlorination are the only effective ways to remove bacterial pathogens.  All other filtration methods only remove impurities/dirt, chorine etc.   

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Reverse osmosis, ultraviolet and chlorination are the only effective ways to remove bacterial pathogens.  All other filtration methods only remove impurities/dirt, chorine etc. 

Australia had developed a purification system for swimming pools that was very popular in Hawaii.  A small amount of salt was added and the water passed through an ultraviolet device.  No chlorine added, so eye irritation was less, and it did not bleach your hair.  The skin on your hands did not wrinkle.  The original use was for military water supply.  

• Hmm thinking 1