Android Head Units

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm researching Android Head Units for my Trailblazer.  If you have any knowledge, links, etc., to share, post em up!

This one seems to be a chain / franchise and has a branch in my area, but is higher priced at 12999.  Almost all include free install and reverse cam.

https://www.navitopia-opc.ph/

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I'm assuming these are dash cams, although that is not made clear in your post or the link. The last car we rented in the PI had a rear view mirror that had a front/rear dashcam integrated into it. This seemed to be the best setup to me. It wouldn't block the driver's view, and it would not be instantly recognizable as a dashcam. So if the driver did NOT want to use the video in his defense, he wouldn't need to point out its existence. Also it wouldn't be a target for theft.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I'm assuming these are dash cams, although that is not made clear in your post or the link. The last car we rented in the PI had a rear view mirror that had a front/rear dashcam integrated into it. This seemed to be the best setup to me. It wouldn't block the driver's view, and it would not be instantly recognizable as a dashcam. So if the driver did NOT want to use the video in his defense, he wouldn't need to point out its existence. Also it wouldn't be a target for theft.

No, not dash cams.  Head unit is your main radio / nav / entertainment unit in the middle of the dash.  Here is my current that I want to replace with an Android unit. Sometimes dash and rear cams can be integrated to the HU.  This one displays my reverse cam when I put it in reverse, but the cam stopped working.

I have the rear view mirror dash cam on my Brio.  They are cheap and popular now.  Mine is front cam built in and also hooked up to reverse cam.

339469139_201593642654354_7726970112132865581_n.jpg

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The last car we rented in the PI had a rear view mirror that had a front/rear dashcam integrated into it. This seemed to be the best setup to me. 

We have one of these in our Innova, SWMBO papa (who used to be a taxi driver) sourced one and had it fitted at the workshop that serviced the taxi.

Some of the units work very well... some not so well (his words).

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

One thing I want to have on a new head unit is compatibility with the steer wheel guidelines like the orange lines shown here.  My reverse camera is not working which is why only the lines show.  I have found that some units say they will work, and some don't.  The Navtopia guy told me "maybe".

339469139_201593642654354_7726970112132865581_n.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

We have one of these in our Innova, SWMBO papa (who used to be a taxi driver) sourced one and had it fitted at the workshop that serviced the taxi.

Some of the units work very well... some not so well (his words).

The only problem with the one I have is that it is slightly too heavy for the Brio mirror, which pivots on a ball joint.  So while driving, the mirror will move and you have to readjust it.  There is no way to tighten the ball joint.

P.S. I bought mine on Amazon so my experience might be a reason to buy locally and make sure it works well on your mirror.  I bought it a few years ago when there was not much selection here but now they are all over.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

As stated in a previous thread, we're sort of in the hunt for an aftermarket head unit and 360 cam all in one.  We'll be near a Toyota dealer on Friday so I'll find out the cost of "genuine" parts and get back to you on here.  I suspect we'll be looking elsewhere if they're anything like the cost of "genuine" parts in most other countries.  The car is a 2022 Toyota Rush. 

The factory head unit is very basic and only really there to say one is installed and they can add it to the list of features; but it does have a reversing camera.  We're after one that's both Android and Apple compatible.  

• Like 3

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

As stated in a previous thread, we're sort of in the hunt for an aftermarket head unit and 360 cam all in one.  We'll be near a Toyota dealer on Friday so I'll find out the cost of "genuine" parts and get back to you on here.  I suspect we'll be looking elsewhere if they're anything like the cost of "genuine" parts in most other countries.  The car is a 2022 Toyota Rush. 

I had a 360 all round dash cam fitted at Toyota on Saturday on a new unit I bought.  Total cost was 11,750. Looks good and no stray wires poking out. 

Yes I could buy cheaper elsewhere, but I’ve learned over the years trying to save a few thousand pesos in the Philippines isn’t always a wise idea. 

Edited by Gas
  • Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

I had a 360 all round dash cam fitted at Toyota on Saturday on a new unit I bought.  Total cost was 11,750. Looks good and no stray wires poking out. 

Yes I could buy cheaper elsewhere, but I’ve learned over the years trying to save a few thousand pesos in the Philippines isn’t always a wise idea. 

So was that just the cam system and it integrated into the stock head unit that came with the vehicle?  Which vehicle?  I was behind a Veloz today and I could tell it had 360 because of the cams under the side mirrors.  I like the Veloz.  Looks sharp compared to other vehicles in that class.

• Like 2

Gas
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So was that just the cam system and it integrated into the stock head unit that came with the vehicle?  Which vehicle?  I was behind a Veloz today and I could tell it had 360 because of the cams under the side mirrors.  I like the Veloz.  Looks sharp compared to other vehicles in that class.

The system is rear view mirror and it’s integrated into the existing front, back and side mirror cameras. They also added a rear camera at the back as existing camera is too low to get a proper recording. 

Fortuner Q. I’m a bit distracted by all the bells and whistles. Slowly learning how to turn them all off!

Both the Veloz and Rush are nice cars. If  I was buying for personal use only I would have probably gone with one of the Toyota’s. 

• Like 3