American national arrested for fatal hit-and-run in Alcantara

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Heeb said:

He should have stayed and most likely he would just have to pay medical bills and buy the guy a new bicycle. Now he’s toast.

What is a dead guy going to do with a new bike? :smile: The first one died.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What is a dead guy going to do with a new bike? :smile: The first one died.

You have that backwards, what I read is that the 70 year first victim is in the hospital

“Initial investigations showed that the first instance happened in Brgy. Polo in which Hemphill’s sports utility vehicle (SUV) hit a 70-year-old biker, identified as Alfredo Sabanal.

The suspect, however, fled the scene and left Sabanal on the road, said Comaling. Sabanal is still confined in a public hospital to recuperate from the severe injuries he sustained, the police official added.

A few minutes after hitting Sabanal, Hemphill hit another motorist.

He just reached Brgy. Poblacion, situated around one kilometer north of Brgy. Polo, when he hit another motorist, a tri-sikad driver identified as Jerry Timtim. Unfortunately, the victim died.

Edited by Heeb
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, gbmmbg said:

I hate to admit it but Kerry is my brother in law. It's so sad he took someone's life and did not stop to help.

Sorry to hear that.

I ask this because this is causing me problems.  How old is he, was this at night, and how is his night vision?

At 66, I'm cutting back on night driving because my night vision is getting worse.  In the U.S., it would not be the same problem as here.  Better street lighting helps a lot.  High beams here are very blinding too, and they don't care.  In daylight, no issues avoiding the crazy drivers of all vehicles, and walkers who walk right in front of you.  At night, I am paranoid a bicycle rider or walker, with no lights and dark clothes, will veer unexpectedly into my path and I won't have time to react.  I drive extra carefully at night in those places where there are more of these, but the unexpected can happen.

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How old is he, was this at night, and how is his night vision?

54, and in vary good health.Yes it was at night but leaving two people on the side of the road is what I cant rap my head around. My night vision is starting to go so i don't drive at night in the P.I. Yet I hear from people over and over how dangerous it is to drive here at night but they continue to do it. Like Albert said “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

At 66, I'm cutting back on night driving because my night vision is getting worse.

Same here.  Turned 73 a couple of weeks ago and I will only drive at night if absolutely necessary.   I actually prefer to drive my scooter during the day but no longer carry passengers.   

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mike J said:

Turned 73 a couple of weeks ago and I will only drive at night if absolutely necessary.

I also find my night vision deteriorating which is very disconcerting, even more disconcerting is my depth perception. I used to fly and at the time my vision was 20/10 which spoiled me and depth perception was a must. Now? I find myself parking too far back in parking spots. Also, I started seeing what appeared to be flashes of lights coming off of stationary lights. I went to the eye doctor and he said this was due to developing cataracts likely due to being in strong sunlight without sunglasses over my life time. Made sense to me as I spent a lot of leisure time fishing sometimes with sunglasses sometimes not when I was not working. The doc said the cataracts weren't ready to be removed yet, check back in a year or so. Frustrating but I look on the bright side. I can see fireworks simply by looking at a light in the distance. I do NOT like driving at night though, especially in the Philippines as many don't bother with lights, especially tricycles, the rest have their windows so darkly tinted their vision is even worse than mine.

Whenever I think about complaining of new frailties I remind myself that there are many that have gone before me that would like to be able to complain.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Greglm said:

Also, I started seeing what appeared to be flashes of lights coming off of stationary lights.

Oncoming headlights seem extraordinarily bright to me, so when high beams are really on (common here) I am easily blinded. 

Last night an idiot was in a hurry behind me coming up our hill.  I was not going slow but he was on my ass, and his headlights were super bright in my rearview mirror.  When the road widened I let him pass, and he was driving a Toyota 4WD that had modified suspension, make the headlights very high, right a rearview mirror level.  His headlights were probably not stock either and many of these new LED headlights are very bright, especially if not adjusted correctly.

After he passed, I got behind him and flipped on my high beams, as a show of respect!  :hystery:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Well it looks like he is going to get away with it. The 2 families signed a affidavit of desistance, so most likely charges will be dropped.