Wedding Ceremony

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

So reading the invitation again I was  reminded that I have to wear a colour of the groom’s colour choice, not a big deal BUT.

To be there at the designated time I asked my partner to be ready at half an hour before, now being ex military I am anal about being on time, comes with the military training I guess.

We were only ten minutes late at the cathedral, so I grabbed a park under a tree close to the entrance and in we went, after being asked to get some tissues I went back to the car and while I was closing the door a branch fell from the tree glancing me on the shoulder before landing on the bonnet of the car, I brushed it off and went back inside, no pain. Was this a sign as the last time I was in one of these places was fifty five years ago. Was it  a  reminder to buy a lottery ticket?

By some miracle the branch had disappeared when we came out, I am supposing that they don’t want legal action against them, seeing how poor they are if I was injured.

As usual at these things there is a lot of standing up, kneeling and sitting down but because of my knee replacements I just sat there with my legs outstretched, which didn’t go down well at all because the proceedings were stopped at one stage with the man in the funny costume pointing at the person sitting down and not following the rules, as my partner pointed to her knees and then to me.

The whole thing was organised with a choir and candles everywhere with the candles being constantly being relit as the fans kept blowing them out, quite a comedy show.

Then off to the reception where there was a person in charge of proceedings, the person was neither male or female, I get confused with this but it had a microphone in the hand and they started playing games with the sponsors being first up, luckily we were spared that privilege.

The music was and the person in charge of playing was so loud that it made my head throb, together with that ridiculously stupid canned laughter that I detest which is on the TV and radio. 
So I excused myself to my partner and left, and found a quiet bar where we go and asked the barman to turn all of the noise off.

My partner informed me later that I missed out on  great meal with seafood lechion and all the trimmings.

Serenity Now.

Apologies for a long post but.

Don’t know how much the whole thing cost but they came around with a pouch on a long stick for people to put money in, probably to pay me for the damage to my car.

A most interesting and amusing anthropological report from a person visiting a strange cultural landscape. Most enjoyable.

• Haha 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2023 at 3:58 PM, Onemore52 said:

My partner and me received a wedding invitation yesterday for a wedding tomorrow, nothing unusual about that except the invitation asks for no presents but Money.

I guess the days of giving a set of steak knives or a vertical grill are a thing of the past.

And as usual I will sit there like a shag on a rock, I wasn’t going to drink but what the hell.

Now I know why they wanted money and not a present..to pay the institution that married them, there is no marriage celebrants in the country, not a bad gig if you have control of it.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Now I know why they wanted money and not a present..to pay the institution that married them, there is no marriage celebrants in the country, not a bad gig if you have control of it.

It is possible to have a civil wedding, a neice (teacher) and her now husband (also teacher) got married that way at the city hall.

For example... https://www.nuptials.ph/civil-wedding-requirements-in-the-philippines/

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

It is possible to have a civil wedding, a neice (teacher) and her now husband (also teacher) got married that way at the city hall.

I have also known some to have a civil wedding.  In fact my (then) gf and I were the witnesses and sole attendees at her sister's wedding.  However, that is considered a poor person's wedding and if there is a foreigner in the picture then that ain't gonna happen.  Which is why I was invited to be the witness, to pressure me to spring for the cost of food for the after party.  (I paid.  I would have done so without the guilt trip.)

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Catholic tradition in a baptism obligates the sponsors the responsibility of assuming the spiritual up bringing of the child in the event the parents are unable.  For weddings, the obligation is financial which may include hiring or finding a job for the groom.  Why do you think the sponsors are usually someone who is rich like a politician or foreigner?  Wasn't it explained to you before being asked to contribute money or be a sponsor?  The economic responsibility is lifetime, not just a contribution for the wedding.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

For weddings, the obligation is financial which may include hiring or finding a job for the groom.

IF that were true, then every groom would have a job.

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

IF that were true, then every groom would have a job.

Except for those who prefer not to work.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If that were true, then every groom would have a job.

Unfortunately, old traditions are no longer practiced.  Family obligations required for me to be a godfather at several baptisms.  You are suppose as Ninong to give an annual birthday gift to a godson or goddaughter.  Never did.  That doesn't mean I don't feel guilty about it.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Unfortunately, old traditions are no longer practiced.  Family obligations required for me to be a godfather at several baptisms.  You are suppose as Ninong to give an annual birthday gift to a godson or goddaughter.  Never did.  That doesn't mean I don't feel guilty about it.

I live in Mindanao and many of the family live in the provinces (or in Ozamis which is in practice like being in a small town) and I'm Ninong to 3 of the children.

One was born disabled and I send some peso each month for physio therapy and another child her mother died (her father was never around), lives with an ate.

Those two I've basically become their support system and their lives would be a lot worse if I wasn't ninong.

I'm not the only one, there are a few members of the family with good jobs and they do similar.

The practice might be dying (might even be dead in the big cities) but it's still around, if not as much, in the provinces.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Wife and I were asked to be sponsors in February at the wedding of two pastors, both of whom had been previously married and lost their respective spouses.  There were twelve couples listed as sponsors.  In each of the other eleven couples one or the other of the couple was a pastor/pastora.  There were so many pastors in attendance as sponsors and guests you could not have swung a dead cat and not knocked down at least two clergy.  The ceremony was held at a protestant church so no offering or fees requested from sponsors.  Interestingly they did do the shawl wrap, rope, coins part of the ceremony that is customary at Catholic weddings.  So I now assume it is a Filipino wedding custom?   They also did the first dance where peso notes are pinned to the clothing of the bride and groom.

• Like 1