Shorter school year sought to allow return to old school calendar

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

It should be said there are many excellent dedicated Filipino teachers doing their best with not much. 

Quite true.

Another issue is that the teachers themselves are the products of the same school systems that they are now trying to teach in. Often they don't know the material much better than the students.

I recall having a meeting with a 10 grade HS teacher a few years ago. He had graduated with some type of a degree with a "minor" in math. I commented that my niece (a student in his class) had never learned her multiplication tables. The teacher said that no one in the class, INCLUDING HIMSELF, knew these tables. He went on to say that since everyone in school had cell phones that there was no reason to learn them. How do you respond to that?

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Sad 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

The Philippines has the lowest academic scores of any Asian nation.  So let's improve that by shortening the school year. :whistling: 

Two more reasons to home-school.

• Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Two more reasons to home-school.

Very true IF/providing those homeschooling have not had just the somewhat dubious Philippine schooling themselves :tiphat: 

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a little
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If they continue to drop their standards the students won't be able to earn enough to buy the grades for their kids when they're older. :whistling:

• Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Lee said:

I recall having a meeting with a 10 grade HS teacher a few years ago. He had graduated with some type of a degree with a "minor" in math. I commented that my niece (a student in his class) had never learned her multiplication tables. The teacher said that no one in the class, INCLUDING HIMSELF, knew these tables. He went on to say that since everyone in school had cell phones that there was no reason to learn them. How do you respond to that?

I agree with the teacher.  My high school required students to memorize tables including multiplication.  That was 60 years ago.  Still ingrained in my brain which means I can do complex calculations using pen and paper.  With the advent of calculators and smart phones, such skills are no longer necessary.  What is important is to learn the principles of mathematics so that you know how to do it.  

Lee
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

What is important is to learn the principles of mathematics so that you know how to do it.  

What principle of mathematics should you learn that will tell you at a glance in the middle of a math test that 8 X 9 = 72 for example? None that I can think of.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Lee said:

What principle of mathematics should you learn that will tell you at a glance in the middle of a math test that 8 X 9 = 72 for example? None that I can think of.

There is a principle in division though... learning how to divide requires method not memorization.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

The point I was trying to make is the need to adjust to changes.  I recall my school required passing penmanship classes.  It is no longer a requirement.

Spoiler

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

For balance, I'd also throw in the fact that the decline in education standards is not exclusive to the Philippines. Anyone who takes more than a passing interest in education in the UK will note some worrying trends - I'm sure it's the same in the US/Australia etc.

That said, the bar here in the Philippines was already set pretty low so lowering it seems curious. 

You are correct, they have lengthened the school year where we live in the states. But, it will not make a difference since the quality of teachers is poor at best and our government and social medias shoveling immoralities, hate, & race issues into our kids minds daily. 

The down spiral of the US has been picking up in pace in the last few years, truly sad for those who can't see this or deny it :sad:

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a former poster mentioned home schooling is an option. Back during Covid our 5 year old began Singapore math and English. Once school started again she was ahead of her classmates in the private school she attends. She continues to do online Singapore classes. Singapore and S. Korea have some of the best education systems in the world. My  7 year old is leanring her multiplication as directed by the Singapore system, much as I learned. It's important that you see numbers in your head and not rely one a machine to give you the answer.

The education system in the Philippines is terrible. Just read a few of the books they are given and you'll understand. The funny thing is they teach English as a required course but they do it in Tagalog.

Edited by Greglm
  • Like 1