Begpackers & Penniless Ambassadors

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

She wasn't topless - it was much worse! (or better depending on how you look at it) :whistling:

"She"? Yep, guess it depends how you look at "IT" :shades:

• Hmm thinking 1

Terraan
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2023 at 11:07 PM, JJReyes said:

Tourism officials in Asia are starting to sound the alarm about young Western tourists begging on the streets.  Some carry signs in public areas that read, "Help Us with Our Dream!" They have no sense of shame asking for help including free accommodations in homes, meals and pocket money.  They have a guide, "How to Pay for Your Travels by Begging and Busking." published in 2018.  These penniless tourists even visit soup kitchens setup in neighborhoods for the country's elderly and poor.  On the positive side, they seldom seek employment.  The work is too hard and too little money.

Has anyone seen any in the Philippines?  

I saw my share of begging foreeigners in the Philippines, mostly after burning all their money afer some wrong relationship. Not even money to go to their ambassedes. I listen to their stories buy them some food and a beer and thats it. If a man gets himself in trouble, he learns only if he gets himself out of it again. In the phillipines you have to learn to walk over the beggars heads. You just cant help them all. Thats the work of their goverment.

• Like 2

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted

I didn't even know this was a thing, and I'm astonished.  Last time I was in Philippines I didn't know the money yet.  I gave a beggar a couple of 1 Centavo coins and got a dirty look back.  Now that I know what one is I'll make sure to have a couple on me for the backpack beggars.  I probably won't see any in Bohol province though.  Maybe I can offer them a free custom sign in the native language.  "Palihug ilabay ang basura kanako" would work well. :)

• Like 1

JoeLansing
Posted
Posted
On 6/12/2023 at 11:04 PM, Freebie said:

If you cant afford the trip, dont expect others to fund it.

Donate them a couple re-filled bottles of ice cold local untreated water.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JoeLansing said:

Donate them a couple re-filled bottles of ice cold local untreated water.  

Ach, better to just give them a few pesos or ignore them.  

Terraan
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JoeLansing said:

I didn't even know this was a thing, and I'm astonished.  Last time I was in Philippines I didn't know the money yet.  I gave a beggar a couple of 1 Centavo coins and got a dirty look back.  Now that I know what one is I'll make sure to have a couple on me for the backpack beggars.  I probably won't see any in Bohol province though.  Maybe I can offer them a free custom sign in the native language.  "Palihug ilabay ang basura kanako" would work well. :)

Hi Joe, you live in Bohol? i am planning to go there and to seek an appartment in Taglibaran city. Do you have any idea about good areas and what they might cost? As i google arount i think myself like around 20000 in tagbilaran 35000 and up in panglao and maybe 5000 in the province. Do i got that  right? Hope you can shed some light on this question.