Cleansing the PNP will be a herculean mission

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

there are numerous mentions of paying traffic cops a bribe.

I think a distinction is needed.  If a traffic cop is going to give out a ticket with a fine of 100 pesos, and the recipient says:  "Here is 500.  Can you take care of it for me when you get back to the office and keep the change for your trouble?"  Is that a bribe?  Or is that paying for a service which you may have done yourself.  Have you done anything similar to that?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think a distinction is needed.  If a traffic cop is going to give out a ticket with a fine of 100 pesos, and the recipient says:  "Here is 500.  Can you take care of it for me when you get back to the office and keep the change for your trouble?"  Is that a bribe?  Or is that paying for a service which you may have done yourself.  Have you done anything similar to that?

Unless you receive an official receipt that would be perceived as a bribe in most countries.  Or am I missing something here?

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Things may be changing and all for the good.  They can no longer take your license and you can pay online.  Testing in NCR, hopefully it will roll out to other areas. :thumbsup:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/metro-manila/single-ticketing-system-rollout-starts-may-2-2023/#cxrecs_s

MANILA, Philippines – Local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila will begin implementing on May 2, a single ticketing system for erring drivers.

On Thursday, April 13, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and the LGUs under its jurisdiction signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) and data sharing agreement with the Land Transportation Office (LTO).

It was on February 1 when the Metro Manila Council adopted the single ticketing system by establishing the Metro Manila Traffic Code of 2023. The code provides for a “system of interconnectivity” among government agencies involved in traffic management in the capital region.

The code provides for standardized fines and penalties for common violations like disregarding traffic signs and the coding system, as well as illegal parking. The system also aims to “harmonize” national and local laws on traffic enforcement, the MMDA said in a statement on Thursday.

The implementation will begin with a pilot test involving seven LGUs – San Juan, Muntinlupa, Quezon City, Valenzuela, Parañaque, Manila, and Caloocan.

“The pilot testing will be done so the next LGUs that will be onboard will roll out their respective systems seamlessly,” said MMDA acting chairman Don Artes.

In a statement on Thursday, the MMDA said it would supply handheld devices to apprehending officers who would provide cashless payment options for traffic violators. Artes claimed that this would minimize corruption and negotiations between the driver and the enforcer.

Speaking through Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Hubert Guevarra, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. also welcomed the passage of the single ticketing system.

“As you spearhead the institutionalization of the single ticketing system in the NCR (National Capital Region), make it so that all your efforts will translate to an even more seamless and consistent application of our traffic laws,” said Guevarra, reading the President’s message.

“Let this be a way for all our motorists to become more conscious and respectful of our laws, rules, and regulations,” Guevarra added.

Metro Manila Council President and San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora also noted the support from other local chief executives.

MMDA head Artes said that the new single ticketing system was a “historic legislation,” since it took 28 years until it was fully realized. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Unless you receive an official receipt that would be perceived as a bribe in most countries.

It is entirely possible you are correct, but getting a receipt would be difficult if you are asking him to take care of it. Is there a point system?  If no other penalty than the fine then I would just take the ticket and pay it online.  The reason I did not do that in the past is that the traffic cop said I had to go to the LTO (I think) and wait in line to pay it.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No Sir, not me 100% bribe free. I always go and pay my parking tickets even the invisible No Parking signs don't lie.

:Policeman:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sorry to be blunt Mr H, but as we say in Scotland, what a load of pish.

• Love it 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sorry to be blunt Mr H, but as we say in Scotland, what a load of pish.

That reminded me of one of my all-time favourite comedies, "Still Game".  It's brilliant but will tug at the heartstrings in the final episode. 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

That reminded me of one of my all-time favourite comedies, "Still Game".  It's brilliant but will tug at the heartstrings in the final episode. 

I s that the one where he kicks off his false leg stashed with cash and flies through the open window and those kids out side nick all his money?

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I s that the one where he kicks off his false leg stashed with cash and flies through the open window and those kids out side nick all his money?

It is indeed - Winston was the character with the false leg.

• Like 2