Did You Know that Airlines Are Allowed to Overbook Flights?

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Greglm said:

In my experience the EU has decent passenger consumer protections when enforced, better than the US

I agree on the consumer protections being better in the EU... however the EU protection comes with some consequences.... on our European vacation this past May we took 5 flights within Europe.... EVERY single flight had us boarding the plane via a bus that drove us to/from the terminal, and then walking up portable stairways to get on/off the plane.  Even though there were empty gates in the terminal right in front of us. Apparently this reduces turn around time and reduces fines imposed on late flight times.  

The funny part was how they boarded everyone from the terminal....  business class get priority, then people who paid for early boarding... then the rest of the plane in groups... THEN... everyone gets on the same double bus, and the last people who board the bus get off first, and get on the plane first.  Crammed in the bus like sardines, I suspect this is how my wife got COVID.  I will say though... every flight was on time but one, and that one only by an hour. 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Joey G said:

EVERY single flight had us boarding the plane via a bus that drove us to/from the terminal, and then walking up portable stairways to get on/off the plane.  

Almost every Cebu pacific flight I take domestically arriving after 12 noon, requires a bus too.

And yes still their flights are late.

And for goodness sake, why are they still playing those silly childish games. Flight back from BKK last week, ok now lets play a game. FFS why ??

Used to take the 2am flight  regularly from Taipei to Manila.. its a 2hour flight, so yes at 3am lets play a stupid game shall we......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Our younger son and his friends took advantage of the overbooked flights system.  Returning home to Hawaii from college during Christmas, their group would check passenger load by looking at the airline page that showed which seats were already taken.  Their reservations are done when the aircraft begins to fill.  Inevitably, the flights are filled as many on holiday would like to spend Christmas in Hawaii. 

When the announcement is made seeking volunteers to give up their seat, they would be first in line to negotiate compensation such as cash, upgrade on another flight, food, lodging, etc.  For some reason, only one airline gate agent is assigned to the task and, slowing down the negotiation process, produces better results.  The minimum is usually $400 to $800 cash compensation, also known as Christmas money.  I never made plans to go to the airport for pickup until the final leg of his journey.  The rule was phone call or text message once seated on the aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2