Tornado

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well that's a slap in the face to people who have died in tornados in Canada. 

Calm down.  Key word "primarily", which is true.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Far more common here are water spouts which are basically a tornado over water.

Waterspout.jpg

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Calm down.  Key word "primarily", which is true.

So you did NO research before commenting, did you.  I did, just in case you were right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tornadoes_causing_100_or_more_deaths

image.png

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So you did NO research before commenting, did you.  I did, just in case you were right.

Actually, I did.

"These violent storms occur around the world, but the United States is a major hotspot with about a thousand tornadoes every year.

"Tornado Alley," a region that includes the area in the eastern state of South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, northern Texas, and eastern Colorado, is often home to the most powerful and destructive of these storms. U.S. tornadoes cause 80 deaths and more than 1,500 injuries per year."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/tornadoes

Certainly other places have tornadoes and deaths.  There are a few that have similar conditions to the U.S. tornado alley.  Bangladesh is super poor so it is probable they have more deaths from similar storms.  People living in "tornado alley" are better prepared to survive tornadoes.

Anyhow, the subject was not tornado deaths, but where the most tornadoes are, and I'm fairly certain the U.S. is at the top of the list, by a good bit.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Far more common here are water spouts which are basically a tornado over water.

Waterspout.jpg

I've observed a few of them from Boracay and usually around this time of the year, I'd hate to be caught up in one as I witnessed a very small one pick a German and his inflatable out the water and about 6ft into the air while based near Hohne in Germany.

I was at a disused flooded quarry and had seen a few what I called whirlwinds dancing over the sand and crossing the flooded quarry when one about 20ft high passed by and hit the guys inflatable lifting them both up, I'd hate to think what one 100 times the size could do. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
cheapastern
Posted
Posted
On 6/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, mountainside said:

Didn't expect to hear of a tornado in the Phils.  My parents' home was destroyed by one in the US decades ago.  Wouldn't want to go through that anywhere, including the Phils.

Yup, the Philippines does get hit by some crazy storms, like typhoons and tropical storms. They can be super intense with strong winds, heavy rain, and flooding, wrecking houses and stuff.

But you know what? Tornadoes are not that common in the Philippines compared to those big bad typhoons. Tornadoes usually happen in places with different weather conditions. Still, anything's possible when it comes to weather, right?

So, it's essential to stay alert and keep an eye on those weather reports. If you're in a storm-prone area, you gotta have a plan in case things get gnarly. Listen to the local authorities and be prepared to keep you and your loved ones safe. Keep safe! 

• Like 2