Traumatized' Pinoy traveler 'throws away' P15,000 after missing int'l flight due to immigration interview

Lee
Posted
Posted

Other than human trafficking issues, what is BIs concerns about ordinary Filipinos leaving the country?

A traveler from Laguna missed his first trip abroad after the Bureau of Immigration (BI) allegedly made him wait for so long and subjected him to unnecessary questioning.

Aldrin Clark Edward "Ace" Bicomong on July 1 took to Facebook to air his frustrations, saying he threw away P15,000 in just a night and calling what happened as the "worst experience ever."

Giving a timeline of events, Bicomong recalled how he was already at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 at around 6 p.m. for his 9:40 p.m. flight via Jetstar. He paid for his travel tax, checked in, and took his boarding pass.

By 8 p.m., he said he went to the BI's office for interview. There was a second interview, he noted, as it's his first time leave the Philippines. He was "patiently waiting."

But little did Bicomong know that things will take a turn for the worse.

By 9 p.m., he said he asked for a follow-up since it's just 40 minutes before his flight. He was then told to take a seat and wait for an immigration officer's call.

By 9:30 p.m., it was already boarding time and Bicomong was still waiting to be interviewed.

Jetstar made a last call at 9:40 p.m., and the plane left between 9:45 p.m. and 9:50 p.m., he said.

"Nagtake-off na yung plane saka nyoko kinall-out? Tapos sasabihin nyo na di nyo kasalanan na naiwan ng flight?" he said, adding he was told to just rebook his flight.

Bicomong noted the questions during the second interview was the same as the first, and when it was finally done, he said the immigration officers "gaslighted" him with, "sayang naman sir di kayo umabot."  (It's a pity sir that you didn't make it)

He had no choice but to try to rebook the following morning, so long as he can leave as planned. But he said Jetstar didn't offer flights during his preferred date.

His ticket was then tagged as a no show, making it invalid and non-refundable even though he checked in on time.

Bicomong lamented the lack of sleep, the waiting time, the exhaustion, and the hunger he endured, only to go to Laguna empty-handed.

"Akala ata nila nasisimot lang yung ganung pera," he said. "Gusto ko lang naman mag vent out ng stress. Ay lalong na stress sa nangyari."

He said the incident traumatized him, so much so that he doesn't want to leave the Philippines anymore.

His post got over 103,000 reactions (mostly "Sad" and "Angry"), 17,000 comments, and 37,000 shares.

The BI has yet to issue a statement on the matter.

PhilSTAR L!fe also reached out to the agency for comment, but has yet to receive a reply.

'Traumatized' Pinoy traveler 'throws away' P15,000 after missing int'l flight due to immigration interview (msn.com)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I suspect this has more to do with power trips than nanny state, but there may be an element of the latter as well. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

It's all nanny state, treating the citizens like children. Not just the BI, try to get married and see what hoops they make you jump through.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

More BI harassment.

Traveler bound for Taiwan offloaded

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has ordered a probe into the case of a female traveler who was offloaded after failing to present 10 birth certificates of her relatives.

Immigration Commissioner Norman Tansingco said the passenger, who was about to visit her cousin in Taiwan, was offloaded because of “multiple red flags.”

The BI questioned the purpose of her travel to Taiwan.

The passenger was scheduled to visit her cousin, Ammie Liau, in Taiwan, on June 29. Her trip was rebooked on July 1 after she reportedly failed to present a physical copy of their photograph together.

An immigration officer reportedly asked her to present 10 birth certificates of her family members to prove her relationship with Liau.

Liau reportedly spent P17,000 to sponsor her cousin’s travel fare.

The BI officer noted numerous inconsistencies when asked about basic details about Liau.

The BI said the passenger could be planning to work illegally in Taiwan.

(Wouldn't this be Taiwan's problem to figure out upon her arrival?) IDK.

Traveler bound for Taiwan offloaded (msn.com)

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

It's all nanny state, treating the citizens like children. Not just the BI, try to get married and see what hoops they make you jump through.

I was talking in this particular instance.  The guy has run into a power tripper.  But yes, the entire process in general is nanny state.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Only country in the world where a guy in a low paid job ( but a uniform ) gets to deny its citizens their constitutional right to travel . They are forever stating how many trafficking "victims" ( people going overseas looking for a job ??) they have saved , like they are the Archangel Gabriel... and yet we often hear how BI can and will arrange special passes and permits up to planeside for the right price. They aint no saints.

And yes they power trip...especially the shall we overweight overaged females who will usually harass a younger slimmer prettier Filipina. Seen it several times.

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Kingpin said:

try to get married and see what hoops they make you jump through.

Yup.  I especially enjoyed our mandatory pre-marital counseling session where the lola younger than I urged me, despite my vasectomy, to bear children with my Filipina.  But since we've married, at least no BI official has stopped us on our way out to inquire about my trafficking intentions.  I'd confess: I'm trafficking her for my own devious selfish purposes -- and it involves boom-boom.   

• Haha 3

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Other than human trafficking, what are the reasons given by BI to hassle Filipinos trying to leave the country even for a short visit? I have asked this before and never got any answers that made sense. My lawyer who has jumped through all the hoops in the past still gets hassled when she goes to go to India to visit her brother.

I recall reading a story of a group of nuns wearing their habits trying to take a trip together to Thailand. They were stopped at immigration because they had red shoes on.

Edited by Lee
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

I have often wondered if some of the BI harassment of Filipinos is out of jealousy. If they were serious about illegal immigrants they would raid more of the POGOs even the ones that already paid.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mountainside said:

Yup.  I especially enjoyed our mandatory pre-marital counseling session where the lola younger than I urged me, despite my vasectomy, to bear children with my Filipina. 

Back in Febuary 2020 I wrote and entire series of posts with regards to the interesting series of requirements it is for a foreigner to get married here in PI.  And yes, the group counselling session was an both amusing and a little frustrating for me as well.  Apparently sex outside of wedlock is the sole cause of all sexually transmitted diseases including HIV.  I just sat there grinding my teeth with a smile on my face.  

• Like 2