United to Start Direct Los Angeles to Manila Flights

Joey G
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I stick by my opinion that the average American has more chance of being shot going about their daily business home in the USA than becoming a civilian casualty of war in the Ukraine, with around being 120 shot and killed every day in the USA.  I'm really not trying to bring this into a gun crime debate, just trying to put context to the war and the risks of vacationing in Europe.  

Agree that I'm "giving mankind too much credit for caring than it deserves". My post had nothing do to with the risks of vacationing in Europe, it had to do with how people vacationing there feel. Having been in Europe for 3 weeks in May, I will agree most vacationers there seemed oblivious. On the other hand virtually every European we talked to seemed keenly aware of the war and it was at the forefront of their mind. It opened my eyes more than I expected.

I don't see the relevance in your editorial opinion about  comparing war and crime and murders in the USA to my original post (???)  Perhaps I touched a nerve, sorry about that.

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Aside from United, there are rumors other airlines are increasing flights in 2024 to the Philippines and other destinations.  The reason is the strong demand this year.  But there is also reason for caution.  Covid had delayed travel and many passengers kept the vouchers offered by carriers.  Aside from the strong desire to travel, these vouchers are expiring end of 2023.  As capacity increases in 2023, the number of passengers may decline starting January 2024.  Good news for us traveling next year.  I won't rush to purchase tickets now for next year travel.  They are very expensive at the moment in all classes of service.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Joey G said:

Agree that I'm "giving mankind too much credit for caring than it deserves". My post had nothing do to with the risks of vacationing in Europe, it had to do with how people vacationing there feel. Having been in Europe for 3 weeks in May, I will agree most vacationers there seemed oblivious. On the other hand virtually every European we talked to seemed keenly aware of the war and it was at the forefront of their mind. It opened my eyes more than I expected.

I don't see the relevance in your editorial opinion about  comparing war and crime and murders in the USA to my original post (???)  Perhaps I touched a nerve, sorry about that.

No apology needed, in fact It is perhaps I who should apologise as I can see I misunderstood your 2nd post as I thought you were focusing on the physical risk of vacationing in Europe rather than the psychological side of things - that also explains why I went down the comparison route of casualties in the current war v US gun crime. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/25/2023 at 8:00 AM, Mike J said:

Booked a RT ticket last week for the wife from Cebu City (Mactan) to Seattle.  She will depart Sep 13th, return Oct 13.  Cost was $1331, booked directly with Korean Air web site.  Cebu > Inchon > Seattle, same in reverse for return.  I was able to find cheaper flights but they had two in transit stops instead of one.  Less stress and fewer chances to miss/be late for a flight is worth the extra money when it comes to the wife's safety and, relatively, stress free travel.   

Yup, EVA is a lot cheaper but only from MNL and CRK, I think.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, OnMyWay said:

Yup, EVA is a lot cheaper but only from MNL and CRK, I think.

Agree, most any international flights are less expensive from MNL, but then we would need to add the Cebu to Manila leg with the expense and bother.  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

Agree, most any international flights are less expensive from MNL, but then we would need to add the Cebu to Manila leg with the expense and bother.  

And deal with the overweight scam both PAL and Cebu Pacific play.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

Whilst that's true I've also found that most international flights from Cebu have an intermediate stop (Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong etc) where as it's often possible to get on a direct flight out of Manila.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Whilst that's true I've also found that most international flights from Cebu have an intermediate stop (Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong etc) where as it's often possible to get on a direct flight out of Manila.

We, actually the wife now, fly into Seattle and any flight from Manila to Seattle are have one stop in transit, so from Cebu would make it a two stopper plus the expense, travel time, hassle, etc. of the Cebu Manila flight.   And in Manila I think you would need to go from domestic to international which as I recall was a pain in the @ss.   That being said I have a VERY LOW tolerance for travel issues and problems.   I have a friend who would be will to do four stops and a layover if he could save $100. :hystery:

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

And in Manila I think you would need to go from domestic to international which as I recall was a pain in the @ss. 

Transferring between terminals at NAIA used to be difficult but with many international flights operating out of T3 now and Cebu Pacific Domestic also operating out of T3 it's possible to avoid that (if you don't mind flying domestic with CEBU Pacific).

I'm going to risk Cebu Pacific next trip for the domestic leg and see how it goes (QANTAS for the international leg).

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Transferring between terminals at NAIA used to be difficult but with many international flights operating out of T3 now and Cebu Pacific Domestic also operating out of T3 it's possible to avoid that (if you don't mind flying domestic with CEBU Pacific).

I'm going to risk Cebu Pacific next trip for the domestic leg and see how it goes (QANTAS for the international leg).

We had a huge hassle with Cebu Pacific NAIA terminal 3 last December but this last Wednesday no issues with Air Asia terminal 3.  No lines to speak of at immigration whereas in December that was the biggest issue.

• Like 1