Filipinos must have somewhere to live

Lee
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

What has been largely successful is Habitat for Humanity. 

Former US President Jimmy Carter has championed this cause since 1984 and should be lauded for doing so.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Lee said:

After Yolanda perhaps thousands units of housing were built north of Tacloban and no one would move into them.

A huge majority of them remain vacant to this day and have never been occupied.

Filipinos must have somewhere to live (msn.com)

Same here just outside Bacolod, thousands of shoddy tiny chicken cage units sitting empty. I have walked through so many, hardly fit for human habitation. What a total waste of funds, trying to get info about them is like pulling teeth.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

in the US government built housing has almost always turned into slums at best, crime ridden lawless ghettos at worst. 

Someone tell the Philippines, which is headed down that path.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

Former US President Jimmy Carter has championed this cause since 1984 and should be lauded for doing so.

That is true, but as this video will illustrate there are many presidents of both major parties who championed this cause so let not make it about one US president or one US party.  We get deathly tired of that.

https://fb.watch/mdoDFEyINz/

• Thanks 3
  • Love it 1

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted

sometimes the land that people live on is in a desirable location of a city,  yet they do not have any title or the title has problems.  when someone wants that desirable land,  one thing that gets done is that a resettlement location usually outside the city will be built.  usually the people do not want to go to the new place and resist if possible because they would prefer to keep the good location even if the building or structures are not very good.  often the land in the city location has become of high value when this happens.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I've seen a couple of the developments around my area - at best they are 30% occupied.  That said, I've also seen private developments that are only slightly better albeit almost fully occupied.  The first time I visited one I likened it to an African village save concrete houses instead of mud huts.  We have a squatter village outside our sub-division and I'd rather live there than some of those low-end developments. 

I will say that I fully understand the economic realities of life here for many, but oftentimes I see a lack of pride in homes - and that goes for my sub-division too which is more middle-class.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 8/5/2023 at 10:46 AM, Sea Turtle said:

sometimes the land that people live on is in a desirable location of a city,  yet they do not have any title or the title has problems.  when someone wants that desirable land,  one thing that gets done is that a resettlement location usually outside the city will be built.  usually the people do not want to go to the new place and resist if possible because they would prefer to keep the good location even if the building or structures are not very good.  often the land in the city location has become of high value when this happens.

And it's all increasing rapidly as land value rises, massive housing projects going up as development continues.  The government or private owner demolishes (burns down) the squatter area., and if the squatters can prove they were residents, they get priority in being relocated. Fast forward a few decades and you get Singapore (they wish).

Some netizens supported Rama's program inspired by Singaporean development, but some social media users expressed reservations about its viability, citing it as "too ambitious" and the differences in culture and political setup between Singapore and Cebu City.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1204824

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had some relatives that were squatting in a camp outside of the wealthy gated community of Filinvest Alabang. One of my nieces husbands made a living off of burglarizing the homes. Since it was a big eye sore they were all relocated to San Pedro, Laguna  and given small homes. They were all titled but one of her brother in-laws kept pawning their house, so my wife stepped in and bought it from them to keep the 9 children in their home. Over the years she upgraded it into two stories but he kept on pawning it even without the title. She eventually forced him out to move to her other land in Bicol.

She had other relatives living there until last year, when she got tired of paying the electric bills she sold it for 1.5million pesos. Actually I sold it on Lamudi but I don’t get credit, her niece got 5% of the sale because she thinks it was sold thru her FB page and not even FB marketplace mind you. It was an OFW in Germany who sent me an email through Lamudi. She bought it for her relatives.

Edited by Heeb
  • Hmm thinking 1