1 dead, 100 rescued in 3rd PH ferry accident in over a week

Possum
Posted
Posted

I've seen all manner of ferries in the Philippines they range from really primitive to modern appearing vessels. The only personal experience I have is in traveling from Batangas to Puerto Galera. At the time they were run well and not overloaded. Life jackets were required to be worn by all passengers, really professionally operated. Additionally I have been on some on some of the larger ferries as a guest while in port as I knew some of the crew. The crew told me the vessel's maintenance wasn't up to the standards I was accustomed to and enforcement of regulations were lax. That being said I have been on worse at times in different parts of the world. I personally would not get on any ferry here with my family unless they issued us a life jacket shortly after boarding. If they refused we'd get off as I'd take that as a sign.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Possum said:

I've seen all manner of ferries in the Philippines they range from really primitive to modern appearing vessels. The only personal experience I have is in traveling from Batangas to Puerto Galera. At the time they were run well and not overloaded. Life jackets were required to be worn by all passengers, really professionally operated. Additionally I have been on some on some of the larger ferries as a guest while in port as I knew some of the crew. The crew told me the vessel's maintenance wasn't up to the standards I was accustomed to and enforcement of regulations were lax. That being said I have been on worse at times in different parts of the world. I personally would not get on any ferry here with my family unless they issued us a life jacket shortly after boarding. If they refused we'd get off as I'd take that as a sign.

I've only been on a short ferry trip across to Boracay (twice) and both times the boat had sufficient life vests for all passengers as far as I could see.  Possibly this was because Boracay is a tourist destination.  I lived in Hong Kong for a good few years and travelled back and forth across the harbour frequently and never was offered a life vest and never saw anyone wear one - it never crossed my mind to.  There was one particular accident I recall back in 2012 when 39 died when 2 ferries collided.  

Possum
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I lived in Hong Kong for a good few years and travelled back and forth across the harbour frequently and never was offered a life vest and never saw anyone wear one

I never saw the need to wear one in Hong Kong either. Their standards and inspections are good. The Philippines, not so much.

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

I seem to recall that the location of life vests was pointed out to the passengers during a ferry ride from HK to Macau and back.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

I seem to recall that the location of life vests was pointed out to the passengers during a ferry ride from HK to Macau and back.

For sure, and they were available on HK ferries as well - under the seats IIRC.  I was more contrasting my experience on a Boracay ferry where life vests were issued to passengers whereas in Hong Kong they were available but not issued.  Probably the relative safety performance of HK ferries explains why.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, usa32 said:

Most of these ferry accidents. Are they the newer style ferry's like you got cebu. supercat and oceanjet?  Or are these smaller ferry's in the provinces?

Most seem to be smaller wooden bangka boats.  But even the larger steel ones I wouldn’t deem as too safe, but they do have life preservers on board.

One exception is on the RoRo’s. You’re allowed to sit in your vehicle (if you wish with engine running and aircon on). I’ve recently been on few: Luzon to Samar, Leyte to Cebu, Cebu to Negros and Negros to Panay Island. In the passenger area there are life preservers, but none to found where the vehicles are at. So if something were to happen I guess you take your chances or should’ve packed scuba gear in your car. 

IMG_1895.jpeg

Edited by Gator
  • Like 3

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

One exception is on the RoRo’s. You’re allowed to sit in your vehicle (if you wish with engine running and aircon on). I’ve recently been on few: Luzon to Samar, Leyte to Cebu, Cebu to Negros and Negros to Panay Island. In the passenger area there are life preservers, but none to found where the vehicles are at. So if something were to happen I guess you take your chances or should’ve packed scuba gear in your car. 

Pack scuba gear or drive a VW beetle:

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Geez, Ted Kennedy died 13 years ago. The incidence referred to happened 54 years ago. I can guarantee that VW bugs will sink, I had a few and they would not float for long on the flooded roads I used them on. But the engines were easy to rebuild even for a teenager :smile:

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted

I think we all will know they will sink, but they just might take slightly longer than some.  National Lampoon decided to stretch it a bit.  I drove one for 20 years.  Never expected it to save me from drowning.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hestecrefter said:

I think we all will know they will sink, but they just might take slightly longer than some.  National Lampoon decided to stretch it a bit.  I drove one for 20 years.  Never expected it to save me from drowning.

I always opened a window so my ears wouldn't pop when I closed the door.

• Like 1