Spam (canned mystery meat)....... chat

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hopefully the SPAM chat will move here from Helper Humor. Share your favorite recipe or story?

Last week I ordered a Spam Musubi mold from the famous online jungle place. We all enjoy Spam Musubi but the takeout stuff is expensive for what it is. 

I'll make a first batch in the morning and post some pictures. 

Update, the plastic Musubi mold broke during first use. I ordered a different type that will arrive tonight. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can buy a cutter in Hawaii that will give you a precise number of slices per can of Spam.  A popular surfer's breakfast is a mound of white rice, two slices of Spam, a scoop of gravy and topped with a fried egg.  Kim-Chi on the side is extra.  

During WWII, Hawaii was isolated due to the constant fear of a Japanese invasion.  Meat was scarce and the local population were given Spam as a substitute, which was part of military rations.  It remains popular.

Our son teaches in Nanakuli High School on the Waianae Coast which is a Hawaiian homeland area.  Most of his students are at poverty level.  He would give essay assignments for the weekend and those students who complete them received a Spam Musubi.  Very strong incentive since they were seldom fed breakfast at home.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Spam is very popular in S. Korea too, seems like the stuff followed US soldiers and remained long after they left. Syrupy fruit cocktail also is a left over from that era. At least I recognize the fruit. Spam is likely made of any part of an animal that can't be sold in a butcher shop, much like potted meat, Vienna sausages [now that's some serious marketing labeling'] and other gourmet foods. My daughter asked me what I thought Spam was made of and I told her it was already cooked so not to worry but likely ears, nostrils, foreskin and scrotum were in there along with other delicacies. That being said potted meat and a Skyflake is a go to quick snack around here. Taste of home :smile:

• Haha 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife sells a lot of the Korean spam in her grocery store, much more popular than any of the local brands. You can get it in most korean stores for 80-100 pesos per can, they sell a lot of seaweed also.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

Spam is very popular in S. Korea too, seems like the stuff followed US soldiers and remained long after they left. Syrupy fruit cocktail also is a left over from that era. At least I recognize the fruit. Spam is likely made of any part of an animal that can't be sold in a butcher shop, much like potted meat, Vienna sausages [now that's some serious marketing labeling'] and other gourmet foods. My daughter asked me what I thought Spam was made of and I told her it was already cooked so not to worry but likely ears, nostrils, foreskin and scrotum were in there along with other delicacies. That being said potted meat and a Skyflake is a go to quick snack around here. Taste of home :smile:

Kinda like "Mechanically Separated Meat" as one of the ingredients in chicken patties :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, MotorSarge said:

Kinda like "Mechanically Separated Meat" as one of the ingredients in chicken patties

I never knew I ate MSM but I knew Spam and potted meat resembled canned dog food which is less expensive. No wonder my dogs gobbled the stuff down, it was Spam and Potted meat.!

Mechanically separated meat (MSM), mechanically recovered/reclaimed meat (MRM), or mechanically deboned meat (MDM) is a paste-like meat product produced by forcing pureed or ground beef, pork, mutton, turkey or chicken, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue. It is sometimes called white slime as an analog to meat-additive pink slime and to meat extracted by advanced meat recovery systems, both of which are different processes. The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

Mechanically separated meat (MSM), mechanically recovered/reclaimed meat (MRM), or mechanically deboned meat (MDM) is a paste-like meat product produced by forcing pureed or ground beef, pork, mutton, turkey or chicken, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue. It is sometimes called white slime as an analog to meat-additive pink slime and to meat extracted by advanced meat recovery systems, both of which are different processes. The process entails pureeing or grinding the carcass left after the manual removal of meat from the bones and then forcing the slurry through a sieve under pressure. This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones.

You just ruined my love for Spam.

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Not to worry JJ!! SPAM is made of only six ingredients;

Spam is made from pork shoulder and pork ham, with no other scraps from the hog. And the four remaining ingredients include salt, potato starch to bind the meat together and retain moisture, pure sugar - no syrups - and sodium nitrite to preserve the meat.

I'm curious to try the Korean SPAM. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Like Possum said JJ,

"My daughter asked me what I thought Spam was made of and I told her it was already cooked so not to worry but likely ears, nostrils, foreskin and scrotum were in there along with other delicacies". :hystery: 

From the definition "This puree includes bone, bone marrow, skin, nerves, blood vessels, and the scraps of meat remaining on the bones".

Nothing gets thrown away!

Ears, nostrils, foreskin and scrotum might make it into the dog food Isle.

I would still rather eat cold SPAM or chicken patties versus a nice warm plate of PagPag :th_thbarbaque:

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Spam is made from pork shoulder and pork ham, with no other scraps from the hog. And the four remaining ingredients include salt, potato starch to bind the meat together and retain moisture, pure sugar - no syrups - and sodium nitrite to preserve the meat.

What a relief!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2