British Embassy Lack of Assistance

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just a quick heads up to warn British Citizens to not rely on our Embassy for any financial or physical assistance. 

A quick heads up. I have a friend who has been in a car crash relationship since about one month after meeting him. Fell in love in days, partner allegedly pregnant by him again within days, kid looks 100% Filipino. 

He worked offshore a lot and her "Cousin" would arrive most nights after dark and leave about 4am. She would spend his money like it was going out of fashion but he was a 24hr millionaire as on great money. 

They spilt up 5 times and ended up with another kid, this one has some Western in it but he lost his job and she cleared his bank out and ran away with the kids. 

Not happy with doing that she put accusations of assault and mental torture against him even though I know she was the one that attacked him, he would show me the marks and would call from the CR where he had barricaded himself in when she went off on one. There were a few court cases all of which she never turned up for but are held on record for two years. 

He's now more than two years overstaying with no money or work. I've been basically financing him trying to get him on his feet and just talking by phone as I live a few hundred km away. 

His health deteriorated a lot, having seizures and about 6 days ago he thought he was having a heart attack. He's a trained paramedic so knows his body. I lost contact for 5 days so got a local to check up on him. He was found in bed barely able to move, hadn't eaten for 5 days and looking like death warmed up. The last time I saw him he was a good looking guy, about 6ft and 13 stone. I was sent photos of him and he looks under 9 stone and about 80yrs old. He's only 56. 

I contacted the Embassy and was given the run around for about 30 mins even bounced to the UK as no one is on duty here after hours. 

It basically culminated in them saying there is nothing they can do but advise him to exhaust all avenues but they can provide no financial of physical assistance. They were kind enough to offer to email him if I gave them his email address to advise him to seek assistance elsewhere. I even highlighted this guy is probably days away from death and got the same reply. :ohmy:

In short the Embassy doesn't care about its citizens here. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Just a quick heads up to warn British Citizens to not rely on our Embassy for any financial or physical assistance. 

A quick heads up. I have a friend who has been in a car crash relationship since about one month after meeting him. Fell in love in days, partner allegedly pregnant by him again within days, kid looks 100% Filipino. 

He worked offshore a lot and her "Cousin" would arrive most nights after dark and leave about 4am. She would spend his money like it was going out of fashion but he was a 24hr millionaire as on great money. 

They spilt up 5 times and ended up with another kid, this one has some Western in it but he lost his job and she cleared his bank out and ran away with the kids. 

Not happy with doing that she put accusations of assault and mental torture against him even though I know she was the one that attacked him, he would show me the marks and would call from the CR where he had barricaded himself in when she went off on one. There were a few court cases all of which she never turned up for but are held on record for two years. 

He's now more than two years overstaying with no money or work. I've been basically financing him trying to get him on his feet and just talking by phone as I live a few hundred km away. 

His health deteriorated a lot, having seizures and about 6 days ago he thought he was having a heart attack. He's a trained paramedic so knows his body. I lost contact for 5 days so got a local to check up on him. He was found in bed barely able to move, hadn't eaten for 5 days and looking like death warmed up. The last time I saw him he was a good looking guy, about 6ft and 13 stone. I was sent photos of him and he looks under 9 stone and about 80yrs old. He's only 56. 

I contacted the Embassy and was given the run around for about 30 mins even bounced to the UK as no one is on duty here after hours. 

It basically culminated in them saying there is nothing they can do but advise him to exhaust all avenues but they can provide no financial of physical assistance. They were kind enough to offer to email him if I gave them his email address to advise him to seek assistance elsewhere. I even highlighted this guy is probably days away from death and got the same reply. :ohmy:

In short the Embassy doesn't care about its citizens here. 

I doubt anyone on this forum is surprised at any of the above, I've read numerous similar stories on this forum.  The British Embassy website specifically states they will not pay bills or lend money.

A cautionary tale.  

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear that,

I think anybody that decides to venture to the PI or any other given country needs to have an emergency fund account prior to leaving their home country.

Enough for a minor medical event and a one-way ticket for yourself and whoever else you may need to go with you.

What baffles me is there are many cases of folks leaving their home countries on bare minimal finances, pensions, SSDI, etc & trying to live off that with no thought of room for emergencies.

I would never enter any other country without so, nobody is responsible for your decisions and lack of knowledge.

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have some limited experience both inside and outside the US Embassy system. If you ask before traveling they will tell you that you are on your own in other countries, read their advisories prior to traveling. Register with the embassy upon arrival. If you get into legal trouble they normally have a list of attorneys they know of that you can hire at your expense or not. If you are imprisoned but not convicted they will normally make a phone call to the local officialdom to let them know they are aware you're there and MAY visit, depends on the country and the charges But you are subject to that countries legal system for better or worse. If you are hospitalized and notify them they will make a note especially if you had registered with the embassy earlier. This is so they can notify next of kin should you croak. I had a relative involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in the EU. I notified the embassy there. The embassy notified the hospital, verified this information and actually visited once but this is not the norm. I don't care what country you are from you are on your own when viisitng another country and your own foreign affairs or state department will tell you this. The EU is a bit different and to my way of thinking better in this respect. My advice is at the first sign of serious trouble GO HOME. When you financial resources get down to cost of a plane ticket home it is time to leave.

At this point the best hope is a Gofundme page for this unfortunate fellow. If it happens I'll contribute

Edited by Possum
addition
  • Like 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hestecrefter said:

Both MotorSarge and JJReyes are right.  The former because it is simply foolhardy to venture abroad on a shoestring.  The latter because there may be some who assume that the country in which they land will come to their aid in a pinch and for the second reason he offers: some go overseas because they are paupers to begin with.

While the situation of the fellow described by Snowy is lamentable, it's not as though he was overtaken by some terrible tragedy on the sudden.  Things were falling apart for a long time, especially in the last 2 years with no work and a lengthening overstay situation.  Surely, in the early part of that last 2 years, he had the wherewithal to get out of Dodge, but chose not to.  He waited until too late, by the description provided.  In that case, do the British taxpayers have an obligation to bail him out?  What would that entail?  Having someone go to his residence, haul him out, check him into a hospital, provide whatever treatment and support required to return him to some semblance of a state of health.  And then what?  Turn him loose again to repeat the cycle?  Or, hogtie him and, at more taxpayer's expense, fly him back to the UK?  And, I note, he is said to be 6' tall, so it would be inhumane to expect him to fly in steerage, especially in his somewhat fragile state of health.  Paying for business or first class would be the right thing to do. Should he really be in extremis, then, of course, sending a private jet, with medical staff on board, would be the appropriate standard of care.  The British citizenry have deep pockets and won't mind.  That goes, too, for paying his overstay penalties on his way out the door.  All part of the service.

I would fully expect my government to tell me to pound sand if I got myself into a jam abroad and sought succour (succor if you prefer) from that source.  In fact, I would hope that to be the case.  If it's known that you can relocate to another country at no risk, because the nanny state you departed will come to your aid if in distress, that will only encourage more low flyers to go for it.

The "Banged up Abroad" "Locked Up Abroad" videos also point out in some cases that people who get in trouble with the law in a foreign country expect their embassies to hand them a get out of jail card free voucher, maybe raise a challenge to the unfair, oppressive legal system there.  Threaten war, if necessary. Again, why should they?  In my view, if you go abroad, you are deemed to know the local laws and you agree to be bound by them.  If they are harsh, don't go there.  

I suppose my views will be seen by many here as too hardass.  I am, however, unrepentant.

It might not of been easy to leave if his girlfriend filed a case.

Helping out a few people get home is loose change compared to what the UK government wastes their money on, they were giving out 'bounce back loans' to nearly everyone during covid, may aswell give one to this guy also.

They may aswell stick the British embassy on airbnb also as they barely do anything, they've already outsourced visa applications and almost everything else.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Helping out a few people get home is loose change compared to what the UK government wastes their money on, they were giving out 'bounce back loans' to nearly everyone during covid, may aswell give one to this guy also.

They cannot because the laws and mandates your elected officials have passed prohibit it. There are some really good people in the embassies that would help if they could. The problem lies with your elected officials not the people hired to administer the policies the countries' elected officials and those appointed by them mandated.

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Hestecrefter said:

Both MotorSarge and JJReyes are right.  The former because it is simply foolhardy to venture abroad on a shoestring.  The latter because there may be some who assume that the country in which they land will come to their aid in a pinch and for the second reason he offers: some go overseas because they are paupers to begin with.

While the situation of the fellow described by Snowy is lamentable, it's not as though he was overtaken by some terrible tragedy on the sudden.  Things were falling apart for a long time, especially in the last 2 years with no work and a lengthening overstay situation.  Surely, in the early part of that last 2 years, he had the wherewithal to get out of Dodge, but chose not to.  He waited until too late, by the description provided.  In that case, do the British taxpayers have an obligation to bail him out?  What would that entail?  Having someone go to his residence, haul him out, check him into a hospital, provide whatever treatment and support required to return him to some semblance of a state of health.  And then what?  Turn him loose again to repeat the cycle?  Or, hogtie him and, at more taxpayer's expense, fly him back to the UK?  And, I note, he is said to be 6' tall, so it would be inhumane to expect him to fly in steerage, especially in his somewhat fragile state of health.  Paying for business or first class would be the right thing to do. Should he really be in extremis, then, of course, sending a private jet, with medical staff on board, would be the appropriate standard of care.  The British citizenry have deep pockets and won't mind.  That goes, too, for paying his overstay penalties on his way out the door.  All part of the service.

I would fully expect my government to tell me to pound sand if I got myself into a jam abroad and sought succour (succor if you prefer) from that source.  In fact, I would hope that to be the case.  If it's known that you can relocate to another country at no risk, because the nanny state you departed will come to your aid if in distress, that will only encourage more low flyers to go for it.

The "Banged up Abroad" "Locked Up Abroad" videos also point out in some cases that people who get in trouble with the law in a foreign country expect their embassies to hand them a get out of jail card free voucher, maybe raise a challenge to the unfair, oppressive legal system there.  Threaten war, if necessary. Again, why should they?  In my view, if you go abroad, you are deemed to know the local laws and you agree to be bound by them.  If they are harsh, don't go there.  

I suppose my views will be seen by many here as too hardass.  I am, however, unrepentant.

I don't think your views are hardass, just peering into reality.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Possum said:

I have some limited experience both inside and outside the US Embassy system. If you ask before traveling they will tell you that you are on your own in other countries, read their advisories prior to traveling. Register with the embassy upon arrival. If you get into legal trouble they normally have a list of attorneys they know of that you can hire at your expense or not. If you are imprisoned but not convicted they will normally make a phone call to the local officialdom to let them know they are aware you're there and MAY visit, depends on the country and the charges But you are subject to that countries legal system for better or worse. If you are hospitalized and notify them they will make a note especially if you had registered with the embassy earlier. This is so they can notify next of kin should you croak. I had a relative involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in the EU. I notified the embassy there. The embassy notified the hospital, verified this information and actually visited once but this is not the norm. I don't care what country you are from you are on your own when viisitng another country and your own foreign affairs or state department will tell you this. The EU is a bit different and to my way of thinking better in this respect. My advice is at the first sign of serious trouble GO HOME. When you financial resources get down to cost of a plane ticket home it is time to leave.

At this point the best hope is a Gofundme page for this unfortunate fellow. If it happens I'll contribute

My advice is at the first sign of serious trouble GO HOME. When you financial resources get down to cost of a plane ticket home it is time to leave.

Exactly my echo, but many folks don't know preplan or backwards planning.

• Like 5