Stephen Cuunjieng Interview, Why Are Investors Not Coming To PH?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Stephen Cuunjieng is a very smart and well spoken Filipino investment banker, and he has some interesting insights on investment, or lack of, in the Philippines.  In that section, at the beginning, I think he has deliberately and politely left out a couple of elephants in the room.  A bit long, but worth the time.  Also, a lot of good comments on You Tube.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I follow him on You Tube because Stephen's economic analysis is not politically tainted.  There are also a couple of UP professors of economics and one from La Salle who are pretty good.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A bit long,

can you bottom line his conclusions for us?

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scott h said:

can you bottom line his conclusions for us?

Agree. I'm not spending an hour of bandwidth to watch this. BW can be tough to come by where I live.

As I understand things, foreign investors stay out of the PI because few would want to give up 60% control of any business they might want to start.

Lack of electricity, poor workforce, corruption, etc are IMO by products of the foreign ownership policy designed to keep foreign investment out of the country.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Lee said:

Agree. I'm not spending an hour of BW to watch this.

As I understand things, foreign investors stay out of the PI because few would want to give up 60% control of any business they might want to start.

Lack of electricity, poor workforce, corruption, etc are IMO by products of the foreign ownership policy designed to keep foreign investment out of the country.

My very simple elementary take on this brother Lee,

PI has much evolved from outside sources, Spain, Mexico, Japan, China and mostly US.

Smartest thing they did was to control the businesses, land ownership & outside corporations to the best of their ability, No dummies here from our beautiful people.

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

My very simple elementary take on this brother Lee,

PI has much evolved from outside sources, Spain, Mexico, Japan, China and mostly US.

Smartest thing they did was to control the businesses, land ownership & outside corporations to the best of their ability, No dummies here from our beautiful people.

No one said they are dummies. IMHO they want to control ownership for self enrichment and not for the betterment of the general population. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Agree. I'm not spending an hour of bandwidth to watch this.

I am just to lazy,,,,I have to click on the link, then click to turn on the sound....two many clicks

couch potato.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

No one said they are dummies. IMHO they want to control ownership for self enrichment and not for the betterment of the general population. 

He touched on this (ruling families) and corruption but very gently as he is living in Manila and on several large Filipino company boards today.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Old55 said:

In order as I remember. 

1) Energy cost. Electricity is unreliable and lack of future expansion.

2) Workforce. Education & skills. Critical thinking. English comprehension. 

3) Government bureaucracy. Labyrinth of requirements, corruption. Slow execution, corruption. Constantly changing inconsistent laws & regulations, corruption.

4) Very poor infrastructure.

Thanks!  I was going to try to do this later!  I thought he is very easy to listen to and I enjoyed spending an hour of my life getting better educated ib the many topics.

6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

He touched on this (ruling families) and corruption but very gently as he is living in Manila and on several large Filipino company boards today.

Yes, he was treading carefully and mostly stuck to the bureaucracy issue.

He used Vietnam as an example a lot.  I have on my "to do" list, to start a topic on Malaysia vs. Philippines.  I visited both for the first time in the 90's.  Malaysia has left the Philippines in the dust since them.

• Like 5