Sara: It’s final, leave classroom walls bare

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Why would we think logic and critical thinking was used in Duterte's "off the wall" remarks? 

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Why would we think logic and critical thinking was used in Duterte's "off the wall" remarks? 

We wouldn't and don't but I'm genuinely interested in what justification was given for the policy, if any.  It's not like she's a low-level local politician after all so we can perhaps credit her with some level of intelligence.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 8/23/2023 at 3:42 AM, Lee said:

class.jpg

Same room but one photo showing the back of the classroom and the other showing the front.  Not really a before and after.  And why would :whistling:put a curtain over a blackboard? 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Mike J said:

And why would :whistling:put a curtain over a blackboard?

My first thought was to hide the questions put on the board for a pop quiz, ya know....1,2,3 START!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Same room but one photo showing the back of the classroom and the other showing the front.  Not really a before and after.  And why would :whistling:put a curtain over a blackboard? 

Yep...this sort of thing irritates me more than it should.  It's completely pointless in terms of what it's supposed to be showing. The usual half-arsed effort we see here for many things.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

We wouldn't and don't but I'm genuinely interested in what justification was given for the policy, if any.  It's not like she's a low-level local politician after all so we can perhaps credit her with some level of intelligence.  

I sent the article to 4 members of my family who are recently retired teachers in California.  I said also, luckily my kids are in private school and don't have to deal with such nonsense.  I hope.

Two responses from my nieces:

-----

People with an inflated sense of power should stay the heck out of the way of schools and education policies. SO many things wrong with this. Yes, classrooms can become overcluttered, and for some students (sensory issues) this can be detrimental to learning, but for the most part, well organized, thoughtfully chosen  materials can greatly enhance learning, and of course the rise in self-esteem for children whose work is displayed is immeasurable!

-----

Having interesting things to look at is much more of an advantage in education, then a disadvantage. Let’s face it, some students tune out often, but almost all kids tune out once in awhile. Having “educational” things to look at on the walls, and sometimes even on the ceiling can promote learning and spark interest when a student is not 100% tuned in to what is going on in the classroom.

-----

Basically the same as what we are saying here.  My sister is a super dedicated teacher and mentor to other teachers of Spanish.  She should be retired after 50 years of teaching but she loves it so much she is still teaching college level, and mentors.  I helped her get her high school room ready for the school year once or twice.  She would spends a week or two getting it ready with many things that help the students be engaged in the topic.  Language can be boring but she livens it up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I sent the article to 4 members of my family who are recently retired teachers in California.  I said also, luckily my kids are in private school and don't have to deal with such nonsense.  I hope.

Two responses from my nieces:

-----

People with an inflated sense of power should stay the heck out of the way of schools and education policies. SO many things wrong with this. Yes, classrooms can become overcluttered, and for some students (sensory issues) this can be detrimental to learning, but for the most part, well organized, thoughtfully chosen  materials can greatly enhance learning, and of course the rise in self-esteem for children whose work is displayed is immeasurable!

-----

Having interesting things to look at is much more of an advantage in education, then a disadvantage. Let’s face it, some students tune out often, but almost all kids tune out once in awhile. Having “educational” things to look at on the walls, and sometimes even on the ceiling can promote learning and spark interest when a student is not 100% tuned in to what is going on in the classroom.

-----

Basically the same as what we are saying here.  My sister is a super dedicated teacher and mentor to other teachers of Spanish.  She should be retired after 50 years of teaching but she loves it so much she is still teaching college level, and mentors.  I helped her get her high school room ready for the school year once or twice.  She would spends a week or two getting it ready with many things that help the students be engaged in the topic.  Language can be boring but she livens it up.

I doubt many outside of Sara Duterte's inner circle can make a case for such a practice, at least in terms of the relative importance it's being given.  I am beginning to wonder if this was just some throwaway comment she made out of frustration in seeing/hearing about the state of some classrooms which has taken on a life of its own and the mocking/criticism and has led to Duterte doubling down on it. 

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I am beginning to wonder if this was just some throwaway comment she made out of frustration in seeing/hearing about the state of some classrooms which has taken on a life of its own and the mocking/criticism and has led to Duterte doubling down on it. 

Not likely a throwaway comment from Sara (from the article)

Duterte issued the statement as several teachers’ groups sought clarification on DepEd Order No. 21, series of 2023 or the implementing guidelines for Brigada Eskwela, which stated that all schools must ensure that “school grounds, classrooms and all their walls and other school facilities are clean and free from unnecessary artwork, decorations, tarpaulin and posters at all times.”

5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

People with an inflated sense of power should stay the heck out of the way of schools and education policies.

The niece that said this is wise beyond her years.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Lee said:

Not likely a throwaway comment from Sara (from the article)

Duterte issued the statement as several teachers’ groups sought clarification on DepEd Order No. 21, series of 2023 or the implementing guidelines for Brigada Eskwela, which stated that all schools must ensure that “school grounds, classrooms and all their walls and other school facilities are clean and free from unnecessary artwork, decorations, tarpaulin and posters at all times.”

A throwaway comment which took on a life of its own and has resulted in her doubling down on it (as per my post above).

Just my theory.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

The niece that said this is wise beyond her years.

That niece Beth is 3 days younger than I.  :hystery:  In 1956, my mom and my eldest sister had babies in the same hospital, and we got our pictures in the paper.  My eldest sister was 19 and my mom was 40.  My mom had 5 kids spaced out over 19 years, whereas my eldest sister had 5 kids by the time she was 26!  Those 5 are my 2 nieces and 3 nephews, and we grew up more like brothers and sisters!

Beth and I!  (sorry for off topic!)

I was well known for my large brain! :hystery:

Sep23$55.JPG

And later I was working on my bad boy look!

Sep23129.JPG

• Haha 1