Where should we visit on our next trip?

fototek1
Posted
Posted

We have been exploring the Philippines for 3-4 weeks per year for the last 14 years and want your recommendations on what to check out next. Here is a list of places we have been.

• Pretty much all of Luzon
    • Manila
    • Sagada
    • Baguio
    • Benguet
    • Banawe 
    • Bataan
    • Batangas
    • Tagatay
      • Taal Volcano 
    • Bulacan
    • Palawan
      • Coron
      • puerto princesa
    • And I am sure there are more.
  • Bichol
    • Mt Mayon
  • Bohol
  • Cebu
    • Cebu City for Sinulog
    • Moalboal
    • and other places I can't remember
  • Siargao

We prefer outdoor activity (I am not a sit on the beach and do nothing person)away from crazy tourist attractions. Coron was such a beautiful place with so much good food but the trip excursions were a huge let down because everything was so crowded.

My wife is thinking Dumaguete Negros Oriental, Apo Island, Dauis, and Siquijor Island. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, fototek1 said:

. . . . a huge let down because everything was so crowded.

My wife is thinking Dumaguete Negros Oriental, Apo Island, Dauis, and Siquijor Island. 

I think you'll be let down again if you hate crowds.  Filipinos love 'em.  Especially in Dumaguete it seems.  But there are many who enjoy scuba diving in the other places you mentioned.  Hard to be crowded underwater I think.

• Like 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, fototek1 said:

We have been exploring the Philippines for 3-4 weeks per year for the last 14 years and want your recommendations on what to check out next. Here is a list of places we have been.

• Pretty much all of Luzon
    • Manila
    • Sagada
    • Baguio
    • Benguet
    • Banawe 
    • Bataan
    • Batangas
    • Tagatay
      • Taal Volcano 
    • Bulacan
    • Palawan
      • Coron
      • puerto princesa
    • And I am sure there are more.
  • Bichol
    • Mt Mayon
  • Bohol
  • Cebu
    • Cebu City for Sinulog
    • Moalboal
    • and other places I can't remember
  • Siargao

We prefer outdoor activity (I am not a sit on the beach and do nothing person)away from crazy tourist attractions. Coron was such a beautiful place with so much good food but the trip excursions were a huge let down because everything was so crowded.

I also am not a fan of crowds, with a couple I could recommend @fototek1  One being Bantanyan Island, land in Cebu booked a van online & took 3 1/2 hours to go north to Hagnaya ferry (waited an hour or so then just over an hour for trip) then across to Sante Fe port then onto resort. We first stayed at the smallish and comically named Yooneek Resort up the coast & also got a beach house once for a couple of weeks that we found another time. This10 mile or so island has got some nice things to do like a special uncrowded secluded pristine beach like Sandira or hop across to a privately owned Virgin Island where Paradise beach is. great for a couple or small family. As you said you're not a sit on the beach person, I'd say a week would be good. There also was a small airport which I was informed while there flew a little caravan from Cebu twice a week & when going next trip will look into this as the trek from Cebu is a little tiresome when being repeated.

You can ride a motorbike (found a big old Yam 750 which was fun) & also hired our own bangka boat to Sandira beach & they came back at a time we requested. There are also caves, waterfalls & hikes we enjoyed around the island. we found around a half dozen restaurants quite close to each other 10 minute beach walk from Yooneek which were owned & operated by folkes of all different nationalities & we didn't have a bad meal. There's also a few small resorts & a pub we ate at which were ok. Was safe to walk around at night and locals were super friendly to us.

Remember one thing if you do go, always ask if it's Box Jellyfish time! We had no issues on both trips but a friend who went recently said someone had been stung & I have read online a news article a few months ago where a young lady from Bohol had been stung & had sadly passed away. 

Another place we've been going a lot in the last few years is Bolinao in Pangasinan, recommend Coco resort (prices reasonable) where you can request the front rooms which are 20 yards from the beach & lately we've been going from Angeles City with a bunch of friends and get 5 or more rooms next to each other (which have a connected porch at front door with fridges, tables & bbq's pretty much right on the beach. Most times it's just the two of us. Good little market nearby for anything you might need. You can see some awesome tidal caves for swimming there as well and an two different waterfalls where you can swim.

Best bet is go mid-week as the caves & waterfalls get crowded on weekends. The drive is about 4 hrs with a good run from AC. Alaminos near 100 Islands is just less than an hour away if you hadn't been there also. We've been traveling around Phils for 5 or 6 years looking for somewhere that suits us both to live. Although we haven't found the place yet we have still enjoyed lots of the places for the holiday, some I notice are on your list too but a few others like Guimaras Island, El Nido, Baler, Anda, Samal Island have been fun too. All enjoyed.

Good luck & hope you enjoy wherever you travel, Lifes for living lol! Cheers

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our family farm is located in Barangay Sampaloc, Tanay, Rizal about 60 kilometers from Metro Manila.  Being close, the area has become a popular weekend haven for outdoor activities like mountain biking and hiking by wealthy city folks.  Weekdays, the area is quiet.  You need to consult with a local tour company as to where to go and what to do.  The area has not been discovered by foreign visitors so there is limited information on the Internet.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the feedback. Dave, I am sad to hear that Dumaguete may be a crowded place. It's been on my list to visit for many years to explore as a potential part time retirement location. I think we settled on Bataan for the part time retirement location since my wife wants to be semi close to Bulacan.

Sailor and JJ, We have spent some time in Rizal, Antipolo and Pangasinan (but not Bolinao). I did find things to enjoy in all of these places. Thinking about it, I can find things to try and enjoy almost anywhere. I am reflecting about my experience trying to take the LRT out of Makati at rush hour one night. That was an experience I can now say I've had and don't want to have again but I am smiling as I think about the craziness trying to pack bodies in. 

What are your thoughts on Davao, Samar or Leyte? 

JamesBond
Posted
Posted
On 9/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, fototek1 said:

We have been exploring the Philippines for 3-4 weeks per year for the last 14 years...

Given you've traveled so much, can you share a few favorite place/experiences you'd recommend?

• Like 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, JamesBond said:

Given you've traveled so much, can you share a few favorite place/experiences you'd recommend?

I assume you only want recommendations in the Philippines.

I really like nature and places that were not ruined by massive tourism. 

• Sagada 
  • Banawe 
  • Bataan
  • Bohol
  • Taal volcano
  • Mayon Volcano
  • Bicol Area had great food
  • Siargao was probably the best unmolested place in the Philippines I have been in the last 6 years. I highly recommend this place and touring yourself around on a scooter. 
  • Coron has great food and amazing views but the tourist boat trips are a disaster. Too many people and too rushed. I asked a local person where I could go to not be near the tourism and have a good time. He told us about a beach owned by a local that had a small fee to enter. It was great, I attached a photo.    

Some of the places like Panglao Bohol and Baguio were amazing 14 years ago and have changed so much since. They are still really good but I miss the old days. 

377151536_653613103202670_2424354014781011589_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I assume you only want recommendations in the Philippines.

Have you spent time in Malaysia?  We had a great time there.  I've been meaning to write more about it but time has been short.

• Like 1