Philippine, Australia ‘work, holiday’ visa open to ages 18-31 (starting next year)

Lee
Posted
Posted

MANILA, Philippines — Filipinos and Australians aged 18 to 31 can apply for the “work and holiday” visa arrangement signed by the two countries available next year, according to the Presidential Communications Office (PCO).

The memorandum of understanding for reciprocal work and holiday visa arrangements was signed by Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo and Australian Ambassador Hae Kyong Yu on Sept. 8, allowing citizens of both countries to do short-term work to help pay for their 12-month stay.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese signed the memorandum during his official visit on Sept. 7-8.

The... arrangement will allow nationals of both participants to stay in the territory of the other participant for the primary purpose of a holiday, during which they may undertake work to supplement the cost of their stay,” the memorandum stated.

Filipinos and Australians must ensure they graduated college or completed two years of undergraduate studies or post-secondary education.

They should also meet health, character and national security requirements and have medical and health insurance for the duration of their stay.

Australia’s home affairs department said visitors should have enough money to support themselves while in Australia, which would cost around AUD5,000 or approximately P180,862.

Philippine, Australia ‘work, holiday’ visa open to ages 18-31 (msn.com)

• Like 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

There is a maximum 30 yrs old

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OzeMike said:

There is a maximum 30 yrs old

Wonder what the point is? That age group is not known for being big spenders.:89:

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Wonder if they will be considered OFW's.... or OFV's? 

V = vacationers :biggrin:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I cannot help but think this agreement will be pretty one-sided i.e. many more Filipinos heading to Oz rather than the reverse.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/11/2023 at 3:35 PM, Lee said:

Sounds like a pathway to permanent residence for wealthier middle class Filipinos.  College + 5000 AUD eliminates a lot of Filipinos.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Sounds like a pathway to permanent residence for wealthier middle class Filipinos.  College + 5000 AUD eliminates a lot of Filipinos.

I don't think it can be used as a pathway to permanent residence - it's a working holiday visa.  I know plenty of folk who've had one for Australia and the visa ends after the visa expires and they return home. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't think it can be used as a pathway to permanent residence - it's a working holiday visa.  I know plenty of folk who've had one for Australia and the visa ends after the visa expires and they return home. 

I don't mean during the visit (but who knows what is possible), but sometime later.  E.g., go getter Filipino does this visa and seeks out a job in their field of study.  They do well and the employer likes their performance.  Employer says I need you to stay on, and I will help you get a permanent visa.  Voila!

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't mean during the visit (but who knows what is possible), but sometime later.  E.g., go getter Filipino does this visa and seeks out a job in their field of study.  They do well and the employer likes their performance.  Employer says I need you to stay on, and I will help you get a permanent visa.  Voila!

I see what you mean.  I guess for some it could be a way to put themselves in the shop window given how well we know OFWs work when outside. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I see what you mean.  I guess for some it could be a way to put themselves in the shop window given how well we know OFWs work when outside. 

As I understand it, Australia has a shortage of workers, so they are fairly liberal on immigration.

My step-daughter wants to move to Australia.  This gives another visa option for testing the water, but she will probably go on a student visa.  Work is also allowed on a student visa.