Undocumented Filipinos in US now estimated at 309,000

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippines is the sixth top source of undocumented (unauthorized) immigrants in the United States, a population estimated at 309,000 in 2021, according to Sept. 13 report by the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, DC.

table-1024x498.jpg

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/527920/undocumented-filipinos-in-us-now-estimated-at-309000

I wonder how many undocumented (unauthorized) immigrants there are in the Philippines...

Edited by Kingpin

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

I wonder how many undocumented (unauthorized) immigrants there are in the Philippines...

Beyond count, especially down south near Indonesia. I remember reading years ago about BOI trying to stop small boat traffic

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Beyond count

Just checked:  "The Manila Chronicle estimates that there are about 500,000 illegal immigrants in the country."

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

500,000 illegal immigrants in the country

Like I said, beyond count,,,,even if I take my socks off :hystery:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

The Philippines is the sixth top source of undocumented (unauthorized) immigrants in the United States, a population estimated at 309,000 in 2021, according to Sept. 13 report by the Migration Policy Institute in Washington, DC.

Mostly likely those numbers have changed a lot since 2021,  Venezuelans have probably moved up a lot as they coming across in large numbers.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

When they say 500,000 what they actually mean is "We've no idea!"  The number is far too 'rounded' to be accurate(ish).

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Mostly likely those numbers have changed a lot since 2021,  Venezuelans have probably moved up a lot as they coming across in large numbers.

Probably.

Over twenty times worse than Philippines numbers and with presumably 1000 times the Philippines BI budget.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

How do undocumented Filipinos get to the US? By boat? Go to Mexico and use the usual routes to the US from there? Asking for a friend.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

How do undocumented Filipinos get to the US? By boat? Go to Mexico and use the usual routes to the US from there? Asking for a friend.

By Air.  Many enter the US with a valid visa.  Then they disappear, also known as TNT (Tago Ng Tago).  The problem is US Immigration & Border Control is very strict when you enter, but unlike most countries, they don't check those departing.  At airports, the concern is security.  The authorities have little concern how long you stayed, if you exceeded you visa limitation, etc.  Statistics on immigrations is guess work.

Upon arrival, a well-established network of relatives and friends provides assistance including jobs that don't require showing documents validating your visa status.  A popular one is caregiver services because families can't subtract the expense from their income tax, so they don't mind paying cash.  If the concern is liability or providing required benefits like healthcare, the illegal caregivers are hired through agency that are mere fronts.  The advantage for hiring Filipinas is ability to speak English, companionship for the elderly, and the neighbors won't know there is a caregiver living in the home because they never step outside.  American in-resident caregivers are very demanding including hours spent plus overtime, days-off and food quality.  Plus, there is the 50% discount when hiring a TNT.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

The article is confusing in that it mentions "undocumented" and "unauthorized".  I don't think they are the same but I don't know the intention of the writer.

I don't see how the home country would be known for those who have illegally crossed the border without intervention.  The "got-aways".  For those that are stopped and then released it on the country, they would be somewhat documented and their country of origin known.

However, for Filipinos, I would guess that many entered legally and were documented, but have overstayed their tourist or work visas.  That number is for a point in time but would have accumulated over many years.