Philippine ranked #43 out of 87 "best countries"

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Possum said:

In my experience the majority of the population cannot speak conversational English. Keep in mind the majority  may or may not complete 12 years of education. In a discussion with my wife I  estimated 20% were conversant in English and she said likely about 10 percent. The reason is most westerners in the provinces only encounter Filipinos in the malls where a knowledge of English is required but the standard is low. There is always a go to person for the non-conversant to call to interpret. In the NCR area if one can afford a private education the English knowledge is higher. When I mentioned to my wife the fact that English was a required course when she was going to school she laughed. She said, "Being able to repeat English phases  was required but understanding what they meant? Haha. We were basically like parrots, many times the teachers were just repeating words from a book too, it was a joke among us all"

So to say a big advantage of the Philippines is that most can speak English is BS. i knew better than to assume that when I moved here. Matter of fact I get wary when someone I don't know comes to me and starts speaking fluent English.

Now you and @craftbeerlover have me re-thinking my earlier post.   As I think about it, many of the adults I meet have limited English skills but the majority of the students (mid and high school) do have adequate conversational English skills but are sometimes shy about using them.  So my experience is almost certainly slanted in favor of those who do speak English because our ministry focuses on young people.  Perhaps the ability to speak English is some what generational?   They learn to speak it in school but may lose it as they age unless in an occupation that requires English?  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Here in Iloilo, within the city and suburbs the majority can speak passable English albeit often at a basic level.  That said, as soon as I have to communicate with contractors etc the level drops to almost zero.  Also, definitely generational as most younger folk can communicate well enough but again, if we're talking kids from the squatter areas it's almost zero.  I assume education level is the deciding factor. 

I do often smile to myself when I hear that everyone in the Philippines speaks English.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, Possum said:

"Being able to repeat English phases  was required but understanding what they meant? Haha. We were basically like parrots, many times the teachers were just repeating words from a book too, it was a joke among us all"

That has been my experience as well.   And yes to your point, places like Malls, banks, restaurants (especially around NCR and of course places like Cebu, you will find more Filipinos that can speak conversational English.    I sent kids thru public schools and private schools and was very frustrated with the 'education' they "were" getting.   I got slammed pretty hard when I said most cannot speak conversational English, even considering it is taught in all the schools.  Its funny, everybody jumped on the bandwagon when poor math skills were being discussed, why is English any different?.   To say the education system is broken is not even close to going far enough.   Students can get slightly above average scores on their tests, e.g., low 80s and still get in the 90s for their final grade.  I will say again, most/or a very large portion, Filipinos cannot speak conversational English.   

• Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 10/1/2023 at 1:10 AM, Possum said:

to say a big advantage of the Philippines is that most can speak English is BS.

Maybe where you live, not in the city though.

Not only does everyone in commercial and government establishments speak English, but all tech support always speaks English. They also always chat, text, and write in English. All the signs are in English.  Forget about being better the rest of Asia, there's more English here than some cities in the US :laugh:

• Like 2

KC813
Posted
Posted

While most speak some English, not everyone, even in high circles.  At a Philippine Senate hearing a few weeks ago about the West Philippine Sea, the committee chairman interrupted a UP professor's testimony and asked him to speak "Taglish".  Probably because Senator (former actor) Robin Padilla is on the committee.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, KC813 said:

While most speak some English, not everyone, even in high circles.  At a Philippine Senate hearing a few weeks ago about the West Philippine Sea, the committee chairman interrupted a UP professor's testimony and asked him to speak "Taglish".  Probably because Senator (former actor) Robin Padilla is on the committee.

Taglish of course is neither Tagalog or English but rather a mixture of both.  My wife refers to Taglish as "carabao English".  :smile:  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

Taglish of course is neither Tagalog or English but rather a mixture of both.  My wife refers to Taglish as "carabao English".  :smile:  

Taglish, Chinglish, Singlish and so on.