Online Marriage

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

I called the consulate in the USA, and asked the question.   Reply:  Philippines does "not" recognize online marriages.   I mentioned that I had heard about it happening and she was quite adamant (polite), "Philippines does not recognize online marriage, the couple must be physically present together"...    Online companies will take your money, and they do have a caveat something along the lines of, 'we can marry anybody, but check with the respective country to make sure your Marriage will be recognized.'   Most countries do recognize online marriages but the Philippines is not one of them. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

You have to ask how they would know the marriage is online.  I'm guessing they still issue the required legal documents.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

As I mentioned before, if you are seriously interested in UTAH online marriage, join Visa Journey, read and ask questions.

There are companies that do online marriages.  That is not Utah online marriage.  Utah online marriage is recognized by U.S. immigration.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

As I mentioned before, if you are seriously interested in UTAH online marriage, join Visa Journey, read and ask questions.

There are companies that do online marriages.  That is not Utah online marriage.  Utah online marriage is recognized by U.S. immigration.

I just wanted to share what the US Philippines Consulate told me

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

You have to ask how they would know the marriage is online.  I'm guessing they still issue the required legal documents.  

As far as I'm aware, the marriage should have either a marriage certificate issued here or alternatively a Report of Marriage if the marriage was overseas.  Without either I doubt if the marriage would be legal here.  

• Like 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I called the consulate in the USA, and asked the question.   Reply:  Philippines does "not" recognize online marriages.   I mentioned that I had heard about it happening and she was quite adamant (polite), "Philippines does not recognize online marriage, the couple must be physically present together"...    Online companies will take your money, and they do have a caveat something along the lines of, 'we can marry anybody, but check with the respective country to make sure your Marriage will be recognized.'   Most countries do recognize online marriages but the Philippines is not one of them. 

The Consulate was correct. 

From The Family Code of The Philippines.

Art. 2. No marriage shall be valid, unless these essential requisites are present:

(1) Legal capacity of the contracting parties who must be a male and a female; and

(2) Consent freely given in the presence of the solemnizing officer. (53a)ChanRoblesVirtualawlibrary

Art. 3. The formal requisites of marriage are:

• (1) Authority of the solemnizing officer;

(2) A valid marriage license except in the cases provided for in Chapter 2 of this Title; and

(3) A marriage ceremony which takes place with the appearance of the contracting parties before the solemnizing officer and their personal declaration that they take each other as husband and wife in the presence of not less than two witnesses of legal age. (53a, 55a)ChanRoblesVirtualawlibrary

https://chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm

• Like 3

KC813
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

A slight correction/addition.  U.S. immigration will recognize any proxy marriage, but only after there is evidence the marriage has been 'consummated' at some time after the ceremony.  As fun as proving consummation should be, just proving the couple were together in the same place at the same time is usually sufficient.  Yet, some people wish to send evidence that is a little more graphic!

• Haha 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

The Online Marriage subject is funny to me. Why would anyone in their right mind marry someone over the internet ,even if legal? Is this a desperation move by one of the parties? God knows there is no reason to be panicking over finding a marriage partner

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Possum said:

Why would anyone in their right mind marry someone over the internet ,even if legal?

Here is one reason. (Too long to copy and paste so here is the link and a short description)

https://www.military.com/spouse/relationships/proxy-marriage

Did you know a proxy marriage can allow you to be officially married without your significant other even being present?

There are plenty of reasons military marriage is complicated. Deployments, frequent moves and long training absences make planning the wedding difficult -- forget navigating the marriage itself.

Marriage by proxy is one way to make the wedding less complicated. Available from a handful of states, proxy marriages allow couples to be officially married despite the challenges the military world might throw at you. So how does it work?

. . . 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Possum said:

The Online Marriage subject is funny to me. Why would anyone in their right mind marry someone over the internet ,even if legal? Is this a desperation move by one of the parties? God knows there is no reason to be panicking over finding a marriage partner

There were thousands of weddings conducted online during the pandemic due to lockdowns.  Yeah, that's the extreme but it was the impetus for laws to be changed in favour of it in many juristrictions.  

• Like 3