TRICARE to Medicare

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)

Has anybody gone through the process of moving from TRICARE to Medicare?   I know I have seen many vets well over the age of 65 still using TRICARE, and I also know the Philippines does not accept Medicare, so I guess my question is, what are the Vets doing for health insurance when TRICARE runs out?  Actually anybody for that matter, what do most do for insurance? 

Edited by craftbeerlover

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Has anybody gone through the process of moving from TRICARE to Medicare?   I know I have seen many vets well over the age of 65 still using TRICARE, and I also know the Philippines does not accept Medicare, so I guess my question is, what are the Vets doing for health insurance when TRICARE runs out?  Actually anybody for that matter, what do most do for insurance? 

You are "luckier" than me.  I pay for Medicare part b but can't use it in the Philippines.  I am not retired military.  According to this webpage, you can continue to use Tricare overseas but you have to pay Medicare part b.

Thank you for your service!

https://www.tricare.mil/Plans/Eligibility/MedicareEligible/Retiree_and_Family

• Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Thank you for your service!

It was an Honor and my pleasure!!        Tricare for life really does not cover anything, it will not cover medical bills, and I wont be able to use Medicare as well.    So I may be in the same boat as you.   Having said that, I know I have seen some retirees that are over 65 in the Tricare office.     Does anybody have insurance?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

It was an Honor and my pleasure!!        Tricare for life really does not cover anything, it will not cover medical bills, and I wont be able to use Medicare as well.    So I may be in the same boat as you.   Having said that, I know I have seen some retirees that are over 65 in the Tricare office.     Does anybody have insurance?

@scott his like 95ish and he uses Tricare for some things.

• Sad 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

@scott his like 95ish and he uses Tricare for some things.

I am thinking there is some kind of workaround.   If medicare is not available then then Tricare users will be able to continue to use the Tricare coverages.   Hoping somebody on here has gone that route.  Will keep digging, if I do find out answers, I will post and share

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

@scott his like 95ish

Now that'd be impressive, his profile says he's 66 though.

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

In my dealings, once I reached 65 Medicare became my primary and Tricare my secondary, but I did not loose Tricare.  I have continued to use both without any issue at all (especially for medication).  In the PI there are a few direct bill facilities, The Medical City is probably the largest, and they have an insurance office that can assist you in direct bill.  Also, there's the option of filing with Tricare for reimbursement, if you don't mind paying up front.  But you must first enroll in the Overseas Tricare Program before you can use these services. But in any case, the only way you can loose Tricare that I'm aware of is to refuse accepting Medicare as your primary insurance, and you should have experienced this option when you became eligible.  Of course, this all assumes you are a retiree.  One last note, if you are a Disabled Vet and have VA privileges, this is one of the best ways to get medications and deal with service connected disabilities and if you are 60% rated or over, they can offer expanded services too.   Good luck my friend. :cheersty:

John

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

In my dealings, once I reached 65 Medicare became my primary and Tricare my secondary, but I did not loose Tricare.  I have continued to use both without any issue at all (especially for medication).  In the PI there are a few direct bill facilities, The Medical City is probably the largest, and they have an insurance office that can assist you in direct bill.  Also, there's the option of filing with Tricare for reimbursement, if you don't mind paying up front.  But you must first enroll in the Overseas Tricare Program before you can use these services. But in any case, the only way you can loose Tricare that I'm aware of is to refuse accepting Medicare as your primary insurance, and you should have experienced this option when you became eligible.  Of course, this all assumes you are a retiree.  One last note, if you are a Disabled Vet and have VA privileges, this is one of the best ways to get medications and deal with service connected disabilities and if you are 60% rated or over, they can offer expanded services too.   Good luck my friend. :cheersty:

John

Are you talking about the VA in Manila or VAs stateside?

From what I've read numerous times is the VA in Manila is very limited and will only see patients for the specific already known rated disability.

So, I question would that mean medicines only related to the specific disability?

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

John

Hi John, maybe what I was told over the phone with DEERS personnel is incorrect.  Yes you (we) do not lose Tricare, however, at the age of 65 we move over to Tricare for life, which really does not cover much at all.   One caveat that may exist (which I am trying to find out), is if Medicare is not available do we retain all of the Tricare benefits we had before hitting 65?   I do know I will have to apply for Medicare, and I also know Medicare is not available in the Philippines.   Can you shed a little more light as to how that transition worked?   Did you have to send Tricare a letter stating Medicare is not available to you?  (you are living in the Philippines correct?)  Thanks for the reply above and thanks in advance as well!!!

• Like 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
On 10/9/2023 at 2:32 AM, craftbeerlover said:

Hi John, maybe what I was told over the phone with DEERS personnel is incorrect.  Yes you (we) do not lose Tricare, however, at the age of 65 we move over to Tricare for life, which really does not cover much at all.   One caveat that may exist (which I am trying to find out), is if Medicare is not available do we retain all of the Tricare benefits we had before hitting 65?   I do know I will have to apply for Medicare, and I also know Medicare is not available in the Philippines.   Can you shed a little more light as to how that transition worked?   Did you have to send Tricare a letter stating Medicare is not available to you?  (you are living in the Philippines correct?)  Thanks for the reply above and thanks in advance as well!!!

Hi "Craft".  Once I applied and was enrolled in Tricare Overseas, it is my understanding that it then opened the door to using the full Tricare benefits in locations that are void of Medicare, without having to file Medicare first.  I have used my Tricare 3 times while living here and all three times it was billed direct from The Medical City, similar to what would happen in the US.  They (the Philippine facility) does want you to pre-qualify for Tricare so they don't have to worry about putting an armed guard at the door to your hospital room to ensure you don't try to leave without paying. I don't bother using Tricare or filing for reimbursement  for the smaller things such as office visits and "most" lab test because the cost is minimal.  But I'm aware of guys who accumulate a years worth of these costs then file for reimbursement.  I went through the process to file for reimbursement the first time I went to The Medical City because was to be significant and I wasn't sure yet if they were able to qualify me for direct bill.  I used a credit card with the hospital billing to cover any costs and thus I didn't have to feel like I was a prisoner.  As far as the transition and if I had to send a letter; no letter was required of me as it all was accomplished by registering with Tricare Overseas.  Once you reach/exceed age 65, the process is seamless as it appears the two entities actually communicate with each other to avoid confusion and double billing, etc.  I didn't receive a letter from Tricare or any other notification.  My account was updated and it just started happening.  No problem with the direct billing and no one saying I owed them anything.  Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to answer for you.  Good luck my friend.

By the way... are you eligible for VA care?

John

• Thanks 2
  • Love it 1