New "arrival" procedure at NAIA Terminal 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted

I took a trip out of the country for a brief vacation and arrived at NAIA Terminal 3 yesterday.

Perhaps it's related to the contents of an article in the link below? New procedure was all Pax must get in line after retrieving their luggage then all "carried on baggage/Items", purses, etc. must be placed in 1 security X-ray machine, then afterwards proceed to customs and hand them the customs form, then exit. Checked baggage was not required to be placed in the X-ray machine. The line was a bottle neck because there is only 1 X-ray machine for all arriving pax, many cutting in line in an attempt to quickly exit.

Also, BI asked if I enrolled in E-Travel, I replied yes but they nor anyone asked to see proof.

PH airports on heightened alert after series of security threats

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, October 6) The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has placed 42 commercial airports in the country on heightened alert after a series of security incidents in the past days, urging passengers to allot more time for inspection.

CAAP issued a memorandum to airport managers on Wednesday and released it to the media on Friday. It said stringent access control procedures for both personnel and vehicles will be implemented, accompanied by thorough inspections of passengers and cargo.

It also reminded passengers who will be traveling internationally to arrive at the airport at least three hours before their scheduled flight to avoid any inconvenience.

CAAP said the Air Traffic Service received a warning via email that some flights will be set off by a bomb, but it did not give further details.

Meanwhile, the Manila International Airport Authority said in a statement that foot and mobile patrols are in place and K9 units are doing the rounds in all the terminals of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

MIAA added that it is coordinating with the Philippine National Police to validate any threats.

On Oct. 2, flights and operations at the Bicol International Airport were disrupted due to a bomb scare. Last Sept. 23, a molotov cocktail exploded at the open parking area of NAIA Terminal 3.

http://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2023/10/6/airport-security-philippines-bomb-threat.html

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So if I understand correctly, when you get on the plane at the origin airport in another country, you go through security checks, then enter the secure area.  You are in the secure area at the origin airport, on the plane and when you get to NAIA.  You retrieve your check-in baggage, proceed to an X-ray, and have your hand carry baggage X-rayed in order to get OUT of the secure area.

Makes absolutely no sense.  Another contribution to keeping NAIA as the world's worst airport.  :bash:

What also makes no sense is if an arriving passenger has any item in their carried on items which they are screening for, they could easily transfer that item into their retrieved checked in bag which are not required to be placed in the X-ray machine.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Sounds like another case of PI employment bloat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So if I understand correctly, when you get on the plane at the origin airport in another country, you go through security checks, then enter the secure area.  You are in the secure area at the origin airport, on the plane and when you get to NAIA.  You retrieve your check-in baggage, proceed to an X-ray, and have your hand carry baggage X-rayed in order to get OUT of the secure area.

Last time I flew to USA with a layover at Tokyo Narita airport, (many years ago) the same procedure was followed except that my checked baggage was checked straight through to USA. But just de-boarding the aircraft (which was supposedly secure) everyone had to queue up and go through x-ray carry-on checks and walk through the metal detector before permitted access to the airport proper even just to sit and wait for the connecting flight. Anything odd resulted in body scan with metal detector wand.

• Like 3

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree with all the posts, and terrorist have not got any smarter over the years nor corruption in airports has gone with the charging of the airport staff concerning the last episode. Yes why should we waste our time standing in line to check our luggage, shame on the security staff, we are visitors, we should be able to come and go as we please without any disruption, after all we pay their wages.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Christmas is fast approaching and the crocodiles are hungry. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Christmas is fast approaching and the crocodiles are hungry. 

Don't get me started....I'll be evicted.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Makes absolutely no sense.  Another contribution to keeping NAIA as the world's worst airport.  :bash:

Unless there is a very specific threat unknown to the public, this arrival screening makes absolutely no sense and I don't see any relationship to the high alert status.  Of course, common sense is lacking and it could be a response to the high alert.

1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Last time I flew to USA with a layover at Tokyo Narita airport, (many years ago) the same procedure was followed except that my checked baggage was checked straight through to USA. But just de-boarding the aircraft (which was supposedly secure) everyone had to queue up and go through x-ray carry-on checks and walk through the metal detector before permitted access to the airport proper even just to sit and wait for the connecting flight. Anything odd resulted in body scan with metal detector wand.

I have been through there and that is a different scenario.  You are still in a secure area while waiting for your next flight.  The extra screening is a double check, and done efficiently on the transfer passengers. 

At NAIA you are completely leaving the secure area.  What would they be looking for?  Maybe cash because they are hungry?

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1