Central Visayas logs 19 suspected rabies deaths

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

the DOH-7 is currently investigating 19 mortalities that may be related to the deadly rabies. In 2022, the health department only recorded seven suspected rabies mortalities.

Screenshot-2023-10-09-at-11.00.16%E2%80%

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/532429/central-visayas-logs-19-suspected-rabies-related-deaths

dogs? cats? bats? rats? It remains a mystery....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good heads up Kingpin. If one is bitten immediately get the four shot rabies vaccination. 

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

Would have been nice if the article had a map of the areas where the fatalities occurred. Instead it only states Region 7 / Central Visayas. 

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted

It would be helpful if the Anti Rabies Act were enforced. But  though there are some very good laws few are enforced here..

https://paws.org.ph/downloads/ra9482_anti_rabies_act_of_2007.pdf

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I made a point of getting the rabies vaccination a few years ago... cheap insurance IMO

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Old55 said:

Good heads up Kingpin. If one is bitten immediately get the four shot rabies vaccination. 

And be prepared to buy the vaccine yourself.  Local clinic closest to us in Badian gives 10 shots per week one day a week.  People start lining up the night before and sleep in line.  So if you get bitten in the province, see a doctor, get a script, locate a pharmacy that has the vaccine, then return to the doctor for the shot(s).  My neighbor kids were "nipped" by a puppy and he had to go to three separate pharmacy in order to get sufficient vaccine.

So I am not at all surprised that rabies deaths, especially for locals in the province, would be on the increase.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Not surprised, every time I have couple hours walk experience angry dogs....Never go without my heavy duty umbrella

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Funny someone mentioned this, the other day a animal rescue team came around offering worming and rabies vaccine for the cats 600 p for each cat and to spay them 3.5 k each, no more kittens after a fortnight from getting the needles. By the way how long dose a rabies vaccine last in a human before you have to get a booster.

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

And be prepared to buy the vaccine yourself.  Local clinic closest to us in Badian gives 10 shots per week one day a week. 

Certainly.

Vaccines are often touted as being free but most clinics around here are always out.  When we went through this (more than once) a vial of vaccine costs 1400Php and has to be used that day. As we only required one shot (vials contains enough for 3 shots) the rest was given to the nurse for other patients use.

The rule seems to be if the supposed rabid animal dies, then the patient needs 2 shots. If the animal lives only one shot is required.

Edited by Lee
spelling
  • Like 1

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, RBM said:

Not surprised, every time I have couple hours walk experience angry dogs....Never go without my heavy duty umbrella

I get that.  Some time ago (1990s), I used to spend a lot of time in Tuguegarao, or, more precisely, in Carig Sur nearby.  It was very rural then.  I'd go for long walks in the hills; nice countryside.  But, many times, one would be confronted by 2 or 3 snarling dogs charging, with no one around.  I used to carry a bag of rocks.  Throwing a few always discouraged them.  I would have preferred my nice, compact, Browning .32 auto, but not possible there.  

• Like 3