Tire expirations

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Not sure about here but in the UK tyres have a code on the side wall of manufacture date and should be replaced within a set time frame, again not sure here but I wouldn't risk my life if the tyres are over 5yrs old. UV light is a killer for tyres.

Look out for a four-digit code. The first two figures represent the calendar week in which it was made (from 1 to 52) and the second two figures are the year of manufacture. So a code of 1316 would mean your tyre was made between 28th March and 3rd April 2016.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

even at low speeds; think hitting an unseen pothole or speed bump at night

Luckily, the roads here do not have potholes and the roads are well lit!  :hystery:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Look out for a four-digit code. The first two figures represent the calendar week in which it was made (from 1 to 52) and the second two figures are the year of manufacture. So a code of 1316 would mean your tyre was made between 28th March and 3rd April 2016.

Yes, and these tires also have an expiration date.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

IMO, your concerns about the age of your tires should be about excessive dry rot. Since you drive so little, you might consider buying 2 new tires for the front and culling the remaining tires for dry rot and putting the best on the back.

This link here states that if there is any evidence of dry rot then replace the tires (of course they are trying to sell you tires)

https://wiygul.com/support/1452/when-to-replace-your-tires/#:~:text=4.,learn more about dry rot.

tire.jpg

Yup, just took a close look and there is cracking similar to this.  I will be shopping for new ones.  We don't need to use it much right now as we are moving.

Gator
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

The 4 digit code was started in the year 2000. Prior to then a 3 or  code was used. For example = 497 meant the tire was manufactured in the 49th week of a year in a decade ending in 7. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see tires here in use or for sale with a 3 digit code. Buyer beware! 

Lee
Posted
Posted

I didn't know that new tires had wear indicators.

I thought people still used the old, reliable coin test. LOL.

tires.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I have lost track of how many flat tires I have endured. Mainly they have been from slow leaks between the rim and tire. The chromed steel wheels started to exfoliate (sorry Mike) and so rough spots opened up to allow the leaks. The other thing has been nails. My tires have been nailed and screwed! Also, there is significant road work ongoing all around Davao and the workers put steel plates to cover their excavations. Some of these have very sharp edges and can slice a tire sidewall. I know that's happened to us more than once.