getting a US phone number here by Skype

JJJ
Posted
Posted

I don't know much about this. Can I get a US phone number by paying Skype a low monthly fee? Then if someone in America calls that number my phone in the Philippines will ring and I can take the call?  Anyone use this? Is it any good? Can I get sms login codes from my US bank?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJJ said:

Can I get a US phone number by paying Skype a low monthly fee?

Dont know about Skype JJJ but we have been using a product called "Majic Jack" for the last 11 years, It plugs into your computer and you get to pick a number and area code. If I call someone in the states, they think I am in San Diego. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJJ said:

I don't know much about this. Can I get a US phone number by paying Skype a low monthly fee? Then if someone in America calls that number my phone in the Philippines will ring and I can take the call?  Anyone use this? Is it any good? Can I get sms login codes from my US bank?

It will work for calls but almost all banks and financial institutions will not send a two factor authentication to a VOIP number.

JJJ
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your replies

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, JJJ said:

I have a Skype phone number that is a USA number. It will receive calls and forward them here, but I do not get SMS messages. Calling out is wonderful - unlimited time and the quality, so far, is better than I ever had with any of the standard US telecom companies. I think it costs me about $15/year. But I do miss the ability to receive SMS for third party verifications. I am considering changing services....

Edited by Tommy T.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

It will work for calls but almost all banks and financial institutions will not send a two factor authentication to a VOIP number.

8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I have a Skype phone number that is a USA number. It will receive calls and forward them here, but I do not get SMS messages.

I pay a monthly fee and get all bank codes sent via SMS.  It's the only method that works, I have other numbers that don't.

t

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I have a Skype number, two Google voice numbers, a Google Fi number and a Magic Jack number)))) I pay for the Sype, Fi and Magic Jack numbers. They all work for SMS and call back codes depending on the bank or credit union. As you can see I am a little paranoid when it comes to redundancy))))

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I pay a monthly fee and get all bank codes sent via SMS.  It's the only method that works, I have other numbers that don't.

t

Is this via a Skype number?

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mike J said:

Is this via a Skype number?

It is, I posted about it here before when I was looking for an alternative (still haven't found one).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
JJJ
Posted
Posted
On 10/11/2023 at 2:18 PM, baronapart said:

I have a Skype number, two Google voice numbers, a Google Fi number and a Magic Jack number)))) I pay for the Sype, Fi and Magic Jack numbers. They all work for SMS and call back codes depending on the bank or credit union. As you can see I am a little paranoid when it comes to redundancy))))

How do you rate Google Voice? Also, you need a US phone number to get a verification code from Google. Can you use this same US phone number to get more than one Google Voice number? I do not have a US phone number and might ask a friend in the US to help me. But I don't want to prevent him from getting a Google Voice number in the future. Hope my question is understandable

• Like 1