Filipino Character and culture

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here are some quotes from “Indolence of the Filipino”. The entire book is well footnoted. No worries about “fair use” because it’s over 120 years old.

“…discussion of it has been continued, not only by government employees who make it responsible for their own shortcomings, not only by the friars who regard it as necessary in order that they may continue to represent, themselves as indispensable, but also by serious and disinterested persons; and as evidence of greater or less weight may be adduced in opposition to that which Dr. Sancianco cites, it seems expedient, to us to study this question thoroughly, without superciliousness or sensitiveness, without prejudice, without pessimism.”

Before the arrival of the Europeans, the Malayan Filipinos carried on an active trade, not only among themselves but also with all the neighboring countries. A Chinese manuscript of the 13th century, translated by Dr. Hirth (Globus, Sept. 1889), which we will take up at another time, speaks of China's relations with the islands, relations purely commercial, in which mention is made of the activity and honesty of the traders of Luzon, who took the Chinese products and distributed them throughout all the islands, traveling for nine months, and then returned to pay religiously even for the merchandise that the Chinamen did not remember to have given them. The products which they in exchange exported from the islands were crude wax, cotton, pearls, tortoise-shell, betel-nuts, dry-goods, etc. [5]

The first thing noticed by Pigafetta, who came with Magellan in 1521, on arriving at the first island of the Philippines, Samar, was the courtesy and kindness of the inhabitants and their commerce. "To honor our captain," he says, "they conducted him to their boats where they had their merchandise, which consisted of cloves, cinnamon, pepper, nutmegs, mace, gold and other things; and they made us understand by gestures that such articles were to be found in the islands to which we were going." [6]

Further on he speaks of the vessels and utensils of solid gold that he found in Butuan, where the people worked mines. He describes the silk dresses, the daggers with long gold hilts and scabbards of carved wood, the gold, sets of teeth, etc. Among cereals and fruits he mentions rice, millet, oranges, lemons, panicum, etc.

That the islands maintained relations with neighboring countries and even with distant ones is proven by the ships from Siam, laden with gold and slaves, that Magellan found in Cebu. These ships paid certain duties to the King of the island. In the same year, 1521, the survivors of Magellan's expedition met the son of the Rajah of Luzon, who, as captain-general of the Sultan of Borneo and admiral of his fleet, had conquered for him the great city of Lave (Sarawak?). Might this captain, who was greatly feared by all his foes, have been the Rajah Matanda whom the Spaniards afterwards encountered in Tondo in 1570?

In 1539 the warriors of Luzon took part in the formidable contests of Sumatra, and under the orders of Angi Siry Timor, Rajah of Batta, conquered and overthrew the terrible Alzadin, Sultan of Atchin, renowned in the historical annals of the Far East. (Marsden, Hist. of Sumatra, Chap. XX.) (7)

At that time, that sea where float the islands like a set of emeralds on a paten of bright glass, that sea was everywhere traversed by junks, paraus, barangays, vintas, vessels swift as shuttles, so large that they could maintain a hundred rowers on a side (Morga;) that sea bore everywhere commerce, industry, agriculture, by the force of the oars moved to the sound of warlike songs (8) of the genealogies and achievements of the Philippine divinities. (Colin, Chap. XV.) (9)

Wealth abounded in the islands. Pigafetta tells us of the abundance of foodstuffs in Paragua and of its inhabitants, who nearly all tilled their own fields. At this island the survivors of Magellan's expedition were well received and provisioned. A little later, these same survivors captured a vessel, plundered and sacked it, add took prisoner in it the chief of the Island of Paragua (!) with his son and brother. 

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

I think enough has been said. Our readers have enough information to draw their own conclusions.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I think enough has been said. Our readers have enough information to draw their own conclusions.

Maybe but thanks for the education.

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:huh: Character? is What's in it for me, Culture? is Rip them off before I get ripped of:whistling: Nuff said:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Two of the wife’s uncles have long been known in the family as the only honest policemen in Cebu. The one who recently retired after having been chief investigator for the traffic division just won election as barangay counselor without buying votes. He gave away tee shirts and hosted a lot of drinking sessions but no money changed hands.

That’s a good omen.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Two of the wife’s uncles have long been known in the family as the only honest policemen in Cebu. The one who recently retired after having been chief investigator for the traffic division just won election as barangay counselor without buying votes. He gave away tee shirts and hosted a lot of drinking sessions but no money changed hands.

That’s a good omen.

Good to hear Guy!

The majority of Filipinos are good people we just don't experience them behaving badly or read about them in the papers. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interestingly, nobody has mentioned the German occupation or attempted colonization of the  Philippines. About the 1890's, the Germans were actually vying for control of the Philippines with the Spanish. Then, of course, the Spanish-American war popped up and settled all of that until the Japanese incursion. From what I have read, the Americans made all sorts of promises to the Filipino "rebels," only to renege most of the promised deals. Then the Filipinos found themselves invaded by the Japanese and then "saved" again by the Americans. Were I a Filipino, I would trust no one, no way!

I am sorry that I do not remember the book where I read about all this, but I do remember that it was a book primarily about the Spanish/American war. It was a one-sided affair with the Spanish having only old, derelict ships that had not been well maintained and could barely get out of their own way. The Battle of Manila bay was a farce. The Americans, while decimating the Cuban "fleet," simultaneously  overpowered the few ships in the Philippines. They made deals with a rebel leader, Emilio Aguinaldo. I may have dates and names mixed up, but the crux of the matter is that the Filipinos made a deal with the Americans after the defeat of the Spanish, then the Americans dis did not follow it up with their promised  support.

Anyway, that's the short story of what I remember reading (and my memory is not as good as it used to be so I may have some grievous errors here....)

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

He gave away tee shirts and hosted a lot of drinking sessions but no money changed hands.

Red Horse (SMC)A always wins the PI Political Event.....:cheersty:

• Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Interestingly, nobody has mentioned the German occupation or attempted colonization of the  Philippines. About the 1890's, the Germans were actually vying for control of the Philippines with the Spanish. Then, of course, the Spanish-American war popped up and settled all of that until the Japanese incursion. From what I have read, the Americans made all sorts of promises to the Filipino "rebels," only to renege most of the promised deals. Then the Filipinos found themselves invaded by the Japanese and then "saved" again by the Americans. Were I a Filipino, I would trust no one, no way!

I am sorry that I do not remember the book where I read about all this, but I do remember that it was a book primarily about the Spanish/American war. It was a one-sided affair with the Spanish having only old, derelict ships that had not been well maintained and could barely get out of their own way. The Battle of Manila bay was a farce. The Americans, while decimating the Cuban "fleet," simultaneously  overpowered the few ships in the Philippines. They made deals with a rebel leader, Emilio Aguinaldo. I may have dates and names mixed up, but the crux of the matter is that the Filipinos made a deal with the Americans after the defeat of the Spanish, then the Americans dis did not follow it up with their promised  support.

Anyway, that's the short story of what I remember reading (and my memory is not as good as it used to be so I may have some grievous errors here....)

You have this entirely correct, according to my recollection. But wait, there’s more! During WW2 Filipinos fought alongside US forces and were promised US citizenship and the same benefits American veterans were to get. It didn’t happen.

The Rescission Act by Congress in 1947 cancelled that deal. See attached screenshot.

The wife’s grandpa was one of the screwed vets. I’ve seen a photo of an official-looking discharge paper from the US Army.

IMG_1627.png

• Sad 1