United's Location Based Pricing

Gator
Posted
Posted

After hemming and hawing a bit I decided to book my roundtrip  flight with United as their price and schedule was the best for the route I needed (MNL to Florida). Among other websites I used google flights to find the best deal I could. I went to United Airlines' website and entered the dates, class of service, etc and the price shown was almost double of that I had seen on google flights. Closed the page, deleted browser history and cookies and then tried again; same thing, almost double the price! Went back to google flights and clicked on their link for the flight, which took me to United's website. But this time the price displayed was the original lower fare. Entered all my personal data and CC info, which uses a USA based address, and I clicked on "continue" to get to the payment confirmation page. The price shown was the almost double fare I had seen when I when I tried to book by going to United's website directly. 

Initially I thought it was happened because I was using my VPN. I played around with VPN's settings and tried it with the VPN on and finally with it turned off. Same result each time, as soon as I entered my CC info the price changed. 3 payment options were given: CC / debit card, PayPal or pay in person within 72 hours at any of United's service counters  located in an airport. I don't even know if there is an office for United in Manila and even if there was I wasn't about the drive there to find out. So, just for the hell of it, I clicked on the PayPal payment link and lo and behold (trumpets sounding in the background please) the price remained at the lower fare. So it seems like the fares are based on the location of your payment. I should note I did try to use my BPI debit card, but both times it was rejected without any explanation given and no fraud alerts were sent by BPI to my phone. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting.  Did you end up paying $ or pesos with Paypal?  Paypal does not have good exchange rates so I avoid paying in foreign currency with them.

Also, in my U.S. Paypal account, I have my preferred payment method as my preferred U.S. credit card, so I get points when I use it with Paypal.  No fees at all.  My secondary payment method is my U.S. checking account.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have you checked prices from a local travel/ticket agent?

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Have you checked prices from a local travel/ticket agent?

No, I didn’t. To be honest I didn’t even think about trying that. However it’s been my experience in the past (albeit a long time ago) that they’re more expensive than booking direct with the airlines. 

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Interesting.  Did you end up paying $ or pesos with Paypal?  Paypal does not have good exchange rates so I avoid paying in foreign currency with them.

Also, in my U.S. Paypal account, I have my preferred payment method as my preferred U.S. credit card, so I get points when I use it with Paypal.  No fees at all.  My secondary payment method is my U.S. checking account.

Paid in USD and it went thru my PayPal master card, which also gives travel rewards. I would have preferred to use a different card as I get 2-3% cash back; slightly better than PayPal travel rewards. 

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

After hemming and hawing a bit I decided to book my roundtrip  flight with United as their price and schedule was the best for the route I needed (MNL to Florida). Among other websites I used google flights to find the best deal I could. I went to United Airlines' website and entered the dates, class of service, etc and the price shown was almost double of that I had seen on google flights. Closed the page, deleted browser history and cookies and then tried again; same thing, almost double the price! Went back to google flights and clicked on their link for the flight, which took me to United's website. But this time the price displayed was the original lower fare. Entered all my personal data and CC info, which uses a USA based address, and I clicked on "continue" to get to the payment confirmation page. The price shown was the almost double fare I had seen when I when I tried to book by going to United's website directly. 

Initially I thought it was happened because I was using my VPN. I played around with VPN's settings and tried it with the VPN on and finally with it turned off. Same result each time, as soon as I entered my CC info the price changed. 3 payment options were given: CC / debit card, PayPal or pay in person within 72 hours at any of United's service counters  located in an airport. I don't even know if there is an office for United in Manila and even if there was I wasn't about the drive there to find out. So, just for the hell of it, I clicked on the PayPal payment link and lo and behold (trumpets sounding in the background please) the price remained at the lower fare. So it seems like the fares are based on the location of your payment. I should note I did try to use my BPI debit card, but both times it was rejected without any explanation given and no fraud alerts were sent by BPI to my phone. 

Maybe some glitches in the online system as they are newly on board for the first US carrier to provide direct flights starting this week??

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Maybe some glitches in the online system as they are newly on board for the first US carrier to provide direct flights starting this week??

Perhaps you’re right.

I was almost tempted to say screw it and book with Philippine Airlines, but United flies into Tampa. With Philippine Airlines I’d have to fly to into Orlando.  My cousin, whom I’ll be staying with and would pick me up, only lives about 30 minutes away from Tampa. Due to health issues she doesn’t like to drive very far and won’t drive to Orlando, which is at least 2 hours away (depending on traffic and the never ending road construction). So if I flew into and out of Orlando it would mean I’d need to rent a car. Add that cost to their higher flight cost (about 500$ more than United) and I’d wind up spending at least an extra 800$.  

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I have found similar issues at times with United and other airlines even in the USA... regardless where I fly or how I pay. 90% of the time they match... but enough where check both to make sure.  Airline pricing algorithms are a complicated mess in my opinion.

But if this drives you nuts... work with PAL on a cancelled flight sometime... you'll pull your hair out. United is worth the $$ in my view.

• Like 3

longway
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Gator said:

clicked on the PayPal payment link and lo and behold (trumpets sounding in the background please) the price remained at the lower fare. So it seems like the fares are based on the location of your payment.

I'm curious, I have Paypal and it is linked to my U.S. credit card. so if I used Paypal I assume it would still be U.S. payment.  Is your Paypal linked to a Phi card/ bank ? I am looking at booking international air travel now for December or January and did not know about the cost differances depending on your location of payment. Worth knowing more about that. I might have to change the Paypal linked account.

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, longway said:

I'm curious, I have Paypal and it is linked to my U.S. credit card. so if I used Paypal I assume it would still be U.S. payment.  Is your Paypal linked to a Phi card/ bank ? I am looking at booking international air travel now for December or January and did not know about the cost differances depending on your location of payment. Worth knowing more about that. I might have to change the Paypal linked account.

My PayPal Mastercard is USA based with a USA address linked to it. It was what I had set as my preferred payment method for PayPal when I booked my flight. As per @OnMyWay’s post I changed to my preferred rewards cc and set the PayPal card as my secondary method of payment. I hadn’t thought to add my preferred card to my PayPal account and when I booked the flight using PayPal I wasn’t even sure if it would go thru with the lower price or not. 

• Like 2