Natural disaster prone areas

smallchungo
Posted
Posted

How do Iloilo, Cebu, and Davao compare when it comes to things like flooding, typhoons, and earthquakes (or any other disaster I haven’t thought about)? I have dogs so just taking off on a plane for a week or two isn’t really an option. I would be renting a house so getting a higher level condo to avoid flooding isn’t really an option either. I read something that every barangay in Iloilo is flood prone. This would eliminate it as an option for me because the last thing I want is my house getting soaked in disease water.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, smallchungo said:

How do Iloilo, Cebu, and Davao compare when it comes to things like flooding, typhoons, and earthquakes (or any other disaster I haven’t thought about)? I have dogs so just taking off on a plane for a week or two isn’t really an option. I would be renting a house so getting a higher level condo to avoid flooding isn’t really an option either. I read something that every barangay in Iloilo is flood prone. This would eliminate it as an option for me because the last thing I want is my house getting soaked in disease water.

There are 180 barangays in Iloilo - 37 are rated as having high to very high risk of flooding, so less than in in five.  I'd say you'd need to be unlucky to randomly pick one of those areas.  I've been here 8 years and have never come even remotely close to flooding in my area.  Most of the newer and better developments (I'd probably go as far as saying all) are deliberately built in areas not flood prone - just do a little research and you'll be fine. 

Typhoons - is there anywhere here not typhoon prone?  In terms of magnitude, again in my 8 years here we've had not more or less typhoons than the average and only 2 spring to mind as being notable.  No damage whatsoever to  properties that are relatively well-built.  

Earthquakes - not had a notable one in my 8 years and probably have had a little shake every other year or so.  Never read anything in the local news about anything significant regarding earthquakes.  There was a media report earlier this week of a 3.8 in Iloilo - I've no idea where but it didn't wake me and none of the neighbours mentioned a thing so go figure. 

In short, Iloilo is no better or worse than the average for any of the above from my experience and doesn't have any particular reputation for any of them.  Just do a little research and apply common sense in where you buy/rent and you'll be fine.  Stick to the city and suburbs would be my advice.   

As for Davao and Cebu - hopefully some of the other members will chip in on their personal experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallchungo
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There are 180 barangays in Iloilo - 37 are rated as having high to very high risk of flooding, so less than in in five.  I'd say you'd need to be unlucky to randomly pick one of those areas.  I've been here 8 years and have never come even remotely close to flooding in my area.  Most of the newer and better developments (I'd probably go as far as saying all) are deliberately built in areas not flood prone - just do a little research and you'll be fine. 

Typhoons - is there anywhere here not typhoon prone?  In terms of magnitude, again in my 8 years here we've had not more or less typhoons than the average and only 2 spring to mind as being notable.  No damage whatsoever to  properties that are relatively well-built.  

Earthquakes - not had a notable one in my 8 years and probably have had a little shake every other year or so.  Never read anything in the local news about anything significant regarding earthquakes.  There was a media report earlier this week of a 3.8 in Iloilo - I've no idea where but it didn't wake me and none of the neighbours mentioned a thing so go figure. 

In short, Iloilo is no better or worse than the average for any of the above from my experience and doesn't have any particular reputation for any of them.  Just do a little research and apply common sense in where you buy/rent and you'll be fine.  Stick to the city and suburbs would be my advice.   

As for Davao and Cebu - hopefully some of the other members will chip in on their personal experience. 

Wow this is super helpful.  Thank you so much.  Makes me feel very good about potentially choosing Iloilo.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, smallchungo said:

I have dogs

Well, that puts you at a disadvantage, not a lot of people will allow pets in rentals, as a few have made it hard for the good pet owners.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, smallchungo said:

How do Iloilo, Cebu, and Davao compare when it comes to things like flooding, typhoons, and earthquakes (or any other disaster I haven’t thought about)?

Davao has little to no history of typhoons to my knowledge. There is a very high mountain range to the east of the city and that is the common direction from which typhoons approach the Philippines. As such, this mountain range apparently either defuses storms headed this way or at least helps steer them toward the north and Cebu area.

Davao has areas that flood regularly - some so deep that you cannot drive through them - we're talking over a foot or two. But it also has many places that do not flood. I have experienced Biblical rainstorms here and really only had to wait for a few of them to settle down so that I could drive or ride (on a cycle). 

We just experienced two recent earthquakes in the past two weeks. The last one was only 3. something and didn't wake me from sleep. Another one about two weeks ago was 5.4 which is significant, but only shook the house a bit. I was standing but fortunately near a counter that I hung onto just to be extra cautious. There are many faults running through and near Davao City and surrounds. In 8 years, no damage except to some poorly constructed homes or other structures. The entire Philippines is located on the "Pacific Rim of Fire," so there's always a chance of a nasty one striking almost anywhere at almost any time. I am willing to - and have taken - the chance. I do have earthquake insurance. And, at this moment I have a "Standard" insurance policy that covers almost everything...

Maybe this will assist in your searching.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Davao has little to no history of typhoons to my knowledge.

Much to close to the equator to be a real threat from a typhoon, you are correct.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Much to close to the equator to be a real threat from a typhoon, you are correct.

Most of the time. Further east - like toward Palau and other locations near the equator, typhoons do sometimes occur. But for some reason (way above my pay grade) They don't seem to strike here....

I sailed a yacht on both sides of the equator for over 20 years so I sort of got a feel for it and weather is also my hobby and interest. That does never mean I don't make mistakes!

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Most of the time. Further east - like toward Palau and other locations near the equator, typhoons do sometimes occur. But for some reason (way above my pay grade) They don't seem to strike here....

I sailed a yacht on both sides of the equator for over 20 years so I sort of got a feel for it and weather is also my hobby and interest. That does never mean I don't make mistakes!

When they come in from the east there's normally a high pressure system to the northeast that they swing up around to the west of before Mindanao so the danger occurs at higher latitudes of PI.  Normally.  Anything could happen though.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

without sounding like a geek, the lack of typhoons at or near the equator has to do with the lack of a coriolis force (need the coriolis to induce the spin, for the typhoon to get started.   Further away, like about 5 degrees north or south and more, you will start to get typhoon formation.  Weather was a little more than a hobby for me.   "I sailed a yacht on both sides of the equator for over 20 years so", I am envious, you must have some incredible stories!

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

I am envious, you must have some incredible stories!

Yeah..... some of them are even true!!!

• Haha 5