Learning to swim & SCUBA and Filipino traditional martial arts?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, justdavid said:

I would really like to try scuba diving. It is one of my bucketlist trying that. 

By all means go for it!

Be sure to choose a certified dive instructor and check references best you can.

• Like 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

By all means go for it!

Be sure to choose a certified dive instructor and check references best you can.

Yes, I will. But how about free diving? Have you tried it?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, justdavid said:

No, mostly SCUBA and some snorkeling.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, justdavid said:

There is a small resort near Moalboal where they teach free diving.  One evening the wife and I were having dinner, met another expat, and were having a casual conversation.  Turns out he was a free diving instructor, could hold his breath for 12 minutes, and has dived to a depth of 100 meters.  

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

breath for 12 minutes, and has dived to a depth of 100 meters

100 meters is a world record set by a New Zealander. 

bajous can hold their breath for up to 13 minutes. But they do it for a living.

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

100 meters is a world record set by a New Zealander. 

bajous can hold their breath for up to 13 minutes. But they do it for a living.

Hmmm, Google says it is this guy;

<snip>What is the world record for free dive?
122 meters
The French freediver Arnaud Jerald broke a new world record on July 20 in Dean's Blue Hole, Long Island, Bahamas, by diving to 122 meters (400 feet) without an oxygen tank.Jul 21, 2023<end snip>

Apparently there are different classes of free diving, with and without weights, with and without fins, etc.  Maybe they both hold world records in their respective class?

Edit - now I see two more records one at 133 meter (free immersion) and one at 136 meter CWT ( so sounds like different classes)  

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I think I broke that record on one of my flights over. A young kid made it an interesting trip over, his bum worked over time and stink. His poor parents were embarrassed, apologising profusely, even the  hostess Intervened on more than one occasion. Thank God there were a hand full of Ozzie’s sitting close by and turned it into a joke, organ arse, was what they nicknamed him. Yeah it was an interesting trip, and every time he let one fly the whole plane knew about it, thanks to the Ozzie cheers. :hystery:

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Hmmm, Google says it is this guy;

<snip>What is the world record for free dive?
122 meters
The French freediver Arnaud Jerald broke a new world record on July 20 in Dean's Blue Hole, Long Island, Bahamas, by diving to 122 meters (400 feet) without an oxygen tank.Jul 21, 2023<end snip>

Apparently there are different classes of free diving, with and without weights, with and without fins, etc.  Maybe they both hold world records in their respective class?

Edit - now I see two more records one at 133 meter (free immersion) and one at 136 meter CWT ( so sounds like different classes)  

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Petar Klovar (CROATIA)

128 meters. free immersion. what ever that is! Anyway it beats my record of 50 ft that was 1978. Could have gone deeper but was intoxicated from the night before :cheersty:

• Like 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Mike J said:

There is a small resort near Moalboal where they teach free diving.  One evening the wife and I were having dinner, met another expat, and were having a casual conversation.  Turns out he was a free diving instructor, could hold his breath for 12 minutes, and has dived to a depth of 100 meters.  

I should add this on my list when I visit there, I really want to try free diving. That's really amazing how he could hold his breath for 12 minutes for that depth, I don't think I could do that.