Obamacare questions

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

My neighbor asked me to look into this----kinda wish that he hadn't as it quite confusing. Posts on the MB are several years old.

Anyway, he and his wife are both US citizens who have lived in the PI for over 10 years. Wife has recently signed up for Medicare---hubby is a bit young yet to do so. They have BCBS insurance from their previous employer but are considering dropping it for both of them. Is this a good idea? Will he get hit with Obamacare penalties? Perhaps the wife should be dropped as she is on Medicare now?

(They are both retired and neither one of them work, if it matters.)

They seem to have the cash to pay out when they go to the doctor here. They explained how previous attempts at being reimbursed for meds by BCBS have all failed in recent years. This has only added to their frustrations with BCBS.

So what say you? All opinions appreciated.

Edited by Lee
clarification

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

My neighbor asked me to look into this----kinda wish that he hadn't as it quite confusing. Posts on the MB are several years old.

Anyway, he and his wife are both US citizens who have lived in the PI for over 10 years. Wife has recently signed up for Medicare---hubby is a bit young yet to do so. They have BCBS insurance from their previous employer but are considering dropping it for both of them. Is this a good idea? Will he get hit with Obamacare penalties? Perhaps the wife should be dropped as she is on Medicare now?

(They are both retired and neither one of them work, if it matters.)

They seem to have the cash to pay out when they go to the doctor here. They explained how previous attempts at being reimbursed for meds by BCBS have all failed in recent years. This has only added to their frustrations with BCBS.

So what say you? All opinions appreciated.

If they are living in the Philippines, the Philippines does not accept Medicare so that is somewhat confusing as to why she would think Medicare is better.  Others will be more knowledgeable, but I do believe should has to, or at least should sign up for Medicare, even though it is not accepted here.

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

the Philippines does not accept Medicare so that is somewhat confusing as to why she would think Medicare is better

Where exactly did I state this in my post? 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

1 hour ago, Lee said:

I thought it was inferred.   She signed up for Medicare, she is not happy with BCBS...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

They have BCBS insurance from their previous employer but are considering dropping it for both of them. Is this a good idea?

The BCBS plan would have to allow overseas claims, and it probably does not.  Overseas coverage on a U.S. plan is usually limited to vacation travel, not living there.

3 hours ago, Lee said:

Wife has recently signed up for Medicare---hubby is a bit young yet to do so.

Typically someone would sign up for Medicare while living overseas if they think that A.  They would travel to the U.S. / Guam for treatment or B.  They think they might move back to U.S. in the future.

3 hours ago, Lee said:

Will he get hit with Obamacare penalties?

Obamacare is not required when living overseas.

If they are planning to be in PH permanently, they might be better served by Philhealth and Pacific Cross.  Drop anything else that is not free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

The BCBS plan would have to allow overseas claims, and it probably does not.  Overseas coverage on a U.S. plan is usually limited to vacation travel, not living there.

Typically someone would sign up for Medicare while living overseas if they think that A.  They would travel to the U.S. / Guam for treatment or B.  They think they might move back to U.S. in the future.

Obamacare is not required when living overseas.

If they are planning to be in PH permanently, they might be better served by Philhealth and Pacific Cross.  Drop anything else that is not free.

I knew somebody would be a little more informative than I was!

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If they are planning to move back to the US... sign up for Medicare.

The BCBS policy may not pay for med's, but that depends on the policy they have. Many employer policies (including retired folks) have an open season to modify their coverage. They need to read their policy. BCBS is pretty good, and will pay for what the policy covers. 

If they drop the BCBS policy they may not be able to get it back later. That may not be important today but could be a big deal later.

When you're living in the US Medicare is primary, and the BCBS policy will be secondary. I keep both. I haven't paid a medical bill or any prescriptions since I signed up for Medicare. 

• Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Joey G said:

When you're living in the US Medicare is primary, and the BCBS policy will be secondary. I keep both. I haven't paid a medical bill or any prescriptions since I signed up for Medicare. 

Did you opt for Part B when you signed up for Medicare?

If you are married, then your health care costs must run $1200 per month. Is this number pretty close?

Joey G
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Lee said:

Did you opt for Part B when you signed up for Medicare?

If you are married, then your health care costs must run $1200 per month. Is this number pretty close?

Yes got Part B. Part B is $169

My monthly BCBS is a little under $500, but it is employer (retired) subsidized, so the $1,200 (unsubsidized) is pretty close. Also... BCBS gives me $800/year back once I signed up for Medicare. I guess because they know Medicare is Primary, and they want me stay on. I keep both BCBS and Medicare because ya never know...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Joey G said:

I keep both BCBS and Medicare because ya never know...

Are you living in US or PH?  Your BSBC covers in PH?