Philippines has highest shopping scam rate among 11 Asian countries

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2023 at 10:17 PM, Gator said:

before paying the delivery driver I open and inspect the item to make I’ve gotten what I paid for. 

What happens if it isn't?

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

What happens if it isn't?

Refuse the delivery it and it gets sent back. Works the same if the item is broken or obviously defective / missing parts or pieces. Regardless if it was scam or not, take some photos and send them both to Lazada and the seller. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Lazada serves as an intermediary between buyers and sellers.  Oftentimes, the merchandise does not pass through Lazada.  They receive the order and payment, take their fees & commission, the remainder payment is passed on to the seller.  If it's a scam (happens more than one or two times), the seller will be blacklisted from participation.  Lazada should make up for the loss with a full refund.  However, sometimes it's the buyer who scams the system (more than one or two non-delivery complaints).  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, craftbeerlover said:

Scams,or borderline scams, are almost part of the DNA here

That said, neither you nor I have been scammed (or not often) as per our posts so how reliable is the 1-in-3 stat?  Maybe we are the lucky ones! 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That said, neither you nor I have been scammed (or not often) as per our posts so how reliable is the 1-in-3 stat?  Maybe we are the lucky ones! 

Statistics show that 1 out of 3 statistics are BS.  :mocking:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

we are probably more careful, at least that would be my guess.   Here are a few sentences from an article addressing the problem, "

“Scammers take advantage of the high volume of online shopping and people’s vulnerability during this period,” Ramos added. This mindset makes Filipinos vulnerable to online schemes.

“Some people easily believe in false premises, even if they are too good to be true,” he explained. Moreover, the Asia Scam Report said 24.8% of Filipino victims respond too quickly to scammers’ demands, and 21.1% of victims chose to take a risk despite uncertainty about the risk."

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

we are probably more careful, at least that would be my guess.   Here are a few sentences from an article addressing the problem, "

“Scammers take advantage of the high volume of online shopping and people’s vulnerability during this period,” Ramos added. This mindset makes Filipinos vulnerable to online schemes.

“Some people easily believe in false premises, even if they are too good to be true,” he explained. Moreover, the Asia Scam Report said 24.8% of Filipino victims respond too quickly to scammers’ demands, and 21.1% of victims chose to take a risk despite uncertainty about the risk."

I don't doubt it but the article was specifically about online shopping scams - if we are talking scams of all nature I would believe it. 

• 2 weeks later...
PinoyDani
Posted
Posted

My purchases on Lazada are limited to Lazmall products. I usually pay with cash when the item arrives, but sometimes I use Gcash for sellers that I know are reliable. I’ve had some bad experiences with scams, but I discovered that getting a refund from Lazada is simpler for Lazmall items.

• Like 1