Worker Consideration

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

We have two now who are constructing a storage "house" for us.

Tommy, what kind of storage house are you building?  I need to build some outdoor storage and I am concerned that many things stored in there (like boxes) will get damp and moldy.  We don't have much inside storage.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Tommy, what kind of storage house are you building?  I need to build some outdoor storage and I am concerned that many things stored in there (like boxes) will get damp and moldy.  We don't have much inside storage.

it is sort of a "standard" Filipino design with split roof. We had materials left over from L's building construction so were able to use a lot of GI for the sides and leftovers from our own roof re-build here. Of course, we had to have a lot of cement for the flooring and also a front "deck"{ under a roof for the dog).

We opted for coco lumber to save a bunch of money on some framing, but we insisted to have it treated with Solignum and all the steel was coated with rust converter.  All has since been painted with epoxy primer. I am guessing this will cost a total of US$1k maybe more...... But we wanted it solid and built to last a while....

When done, I will try to remember to post a photo.

Yeah.... and I agree with you - where to put all this s**t? We have a chain saw, weed whacker, the standard tools like shovels and bolos, etc. I also have all my Craftsman hand tools, some of which date back to 1968! So all this stuff has been stashed in the falling-apart small house the the contractors built and left for us. Some of it is stashed next to our house and is just taking up space that we are finding increasingly necessary for other things. My God.!!!! After living on a yacht for over 20 years, I never would have believed that I had or needed so much "stuff!"

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

After living on a yacht for over 20 years, I never would have believed that I had or needed so much "stuff!"

STUFF?  Reminds me of George Carlen.  He nails it and funny.  But if you are offended by his foul mouth you may want to skip.  And Yes, I also have too much "stuff".

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, intrepid said:

STUFF?  Reminds me of George Carlen.  He nails it and funny.  But if you are offended by his foul mouth you may want to skip.  And Yes, I also have too much "stuff".

OMG!!!!! Hysterical and so very true! We had the stuff problem when we moved out of our 1,700 sq foot house and onto a 40 foot yacht. Then I had the problem of what to do with all this stuff when we split up and I had this literal boatload of stuff. My apartment wasn't big enough so I sold off a lot of stuff and put some into a dock box I had constructed. Well, eventually the box leaked and leaked and some stuff was ruined. I gave stuff away and lost a small industrial machine to rust.... 

So now we are filling up this house with stuff.... A lot of it is legitimate - tools for yardwork and maintenance. We stock up - in a similar manner to what I did on the yacht - with food and cleaning products because one week there is plenty at the store and next week it's the hated, "Sorry Sir, out of stock." 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Stuff - reminds me of a move that I made many many years ago.  I was packing boxes and came to my "junk drawer", you know the one where you put all the miscellaneous "stuff you might need some day".  The duplex I moved to was really nice but the kitchen only had a single drawer!  So what am I to do with my junk drawer collection?  I dumped it into a  paper bag, labeled it "junk drawer" and put in the garage.  A couple years later I moved again.  I had never opened that bag since the prior move so I tossed it into the trash without even opening it.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Stuff - reminds me of a move that I made many many years ago.  I was packing boxes and came to my "junk drawer", you know the one where you put all the miscellaneous "stuff you might need some day".  The duplex I moved to was really nice but the kitchen only had a single drawer!  So what am I to do with my junk drawer collection?  I dumped it into a  paper bag, labeled it "junk drawer" and put in the garage.  A couple years later I moved again.  I had never opened that bag since the prior move so I tossed it into the trash without even opening it.  

There is a saying among yachties..... If you haven't touched or used something after two years, trash it! I only partially followed that advice....

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I guarantee you needed something from that bag the day after you dumped it! 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

There is a saying among yachties..... If you haven't touched or used something after two years, trash it! I only partially followed that advice....

Similar deal here. I moved every two years or so with the navy and if something wasn't used/worn for an entire cycle of seasons, it was ditched or sold.  Over the second half of my 20 years in (post divorce) I managed to whittle down from a 5 bedroom well outfitted house to a one bedroom apartment.  Admittedly it was an unusually large one bedder, but still.

• Like 3

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
On 12/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, OnMyWay said:

We have two now who are constructing a storage "house" for us.

There is never enough storage for our ever growing cat family. From the bedroom across the bridge, to the bahay kubo, across the duel bridge to the new cat condo. We had to upgrade to the duel bridge because some of the Big cats like to sit in the way.

20231214_164758.jpg

20231214_164815.jpg

20231214_164748.jpg

20231214_164723.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Kind of related -

One of the houses opposite us is having some work done.  I see the 'electrician' has run the cable inside the typical plastic moulding on an exposed outside wall.  I wonder how safe this is given the possibility/probability of water seeping in somewhere along the line.  I will report back If he uses silicon to seal along the moulding.  Anyone wanting to make a bet on this?