Another Kindle Question

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Thanks to forum members I was able to overcome my Ludite fear of kindle.:thumbsup:

Next question. Some books I wish to get are not available in Kindle version. I can order them hard copy but not kindle. 

Is there a webpage, forum, e-mail addy or method to request something be made available? I know this is a shot in the dark, but worth a try :whistling:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Thanks to forum members I was able to overcome my Ludite fear of kindle.:thumbsup:

Next question. Some books I wish to get are not available in Kindle version. I can order them hard copy but not kindle. 

Is there a webpage, forum, e-mail addy or method to request something be made available? I know this is a shot in the dark, but worth a try :whistling:

Google says this and I expect there may be others.

<snip>

Here are some top alternatives where you can buy ebooks and enjoy new books and bestsellers:
  • Speechify Audiobooks. Speechify audiobooks is the newest audiobook app that brings eBooks to its vast library. ...
  • Barnes and Noble. ...
  • Kobo. ...
  • Apple Books. ...
  • Google Play Books. ...
  • eBooks.com. ...
  • Smashwords. ...
  • Getting Free Ebooks.
  • <end snip>
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Project Gutenberg is supposed to be good for free eBooks.

https://dev.gutenberg.org/

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Some authors resist making their titles available as ego oks but you can often send a comment to the author via Amazon or the author web page asking for an ebook version.  Never know, maybe they’ll do it, it wouldn’t be th first time.

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

Hi, slightly off topic but worth a shot. I've been using an old Ipad to read my Kindle eBooks over the years, but I think its days are numbered.   I wondered if anyone on this thread could recommend a decent E-Reader to buy? I've seen them everywhere in my travels but never owned one. Appreciate any assistance.

Happy New Year All!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 12:42 PM, Sailor Jerry said:

I've seen them everywhere in my travels but never owned one. Appreciate any assistance.

I've got a Kindle Paper White, which IMO is the sweet spot in the range.

It isn't just for Amazon books, you can send by email any book in a compatible format to your Kindle online library.

And if the book you want to read isn't in a compatible format there are conversion apps.

The advantage of these is the eink screen means they're totally readable outside in the brightest sunlight.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

Hi, slightly off topic but worth a shot. I've been using an old Ipad to read my Kindle eBooks over the years, but I think its days are numbered.   I wondered if anyone on this thread could recommend a decent E-Reader to buy? I've seen them everywhere in my travels but never owned one. Appreciate any assistance.

Happy New Year All!

I think I have owned a total of five, maybe six, Kindle tablets over the years.  Started the journey with their first kindle.  Currently have a Kindle Fire and a Kindle Paper White.  I much prefer the Kindle Fire and it is capable of quite a bit more than the standard reader.  As @GeoffHmentioned the Paper White is outstanding if you like to read outside in the sun, beside the pool, at the beach, etc.  You can also download the Kindle reader application onto virtually any android tablet.  So quite a few choices at Amazon for Kindle and many many choices when it comes to Android tablets.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

PinoyDani
Posted
Posted
On 1/3/2024 at 6:12 AM, Mike J said:

You can also download the Kindle reader application onto virtually any android tablet.  So quite a few choices at Amazon for Kindle and many many choices when it comes to Android tablets.

Or any Android phone, really. Most phones now have big screens, so you can read a Kindle e-book without any problem. But your battery will drain faster if you read a lot.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, PinoyDani said:

Or any Android phone, really.

iPhones and iPads also.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If you have the Kindle reader on multiple devices the app will keep each device synced to the same book location provided you have an active internet connection when you open/close the book.   So you can read a book on your pad at home, then continue reading on a phone while traveling, etc.   

• Like 1