Youtube Ads

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

So Youtube has decided to send a script (in its simplest terms, a small programme) into your devices to detect whether or not you're running an ad-blocker or not.  If you are, all videos are disabled.  The script is run without your permission on your equipment and nowhere in their terms of service does it state that A. This will be done, and B. Asks for your permission to do so.  Whilst I understand why they're doing it - massive loss of ad revenue etc - I do object to them invading my computers without my permission.  

Apparently the EU Commission for Privacy may agree but we're still awaiting a determination:

YouTube began rolling out ad block detection to Europe earlier this year and is now preventing some European users from viewing its content if they have an ad blocker enabled. The EU’s ePrivacy Directive requires online service providers to get explicit permission to “gain access to information stored in the terminal equipment of a subscriber or user.” Hanff, an expert advisor to the European Data Protection Board, alleges that YouTube’s use of JavaScript-based detection scripts to look for specific HTML page elements rendered by a user’s browser is subject to that requirement and he believes it is failing to abide by it.

In a complaint lodged with Ireland's Data Protection Commissioner (DPC), Hanff called on the DPC to “take action against YouTube … for this breach of the law and demand YouTube cease their unlawful deployment of adblocker detection tools.”

Hanff, who helped to draft the forthcoming update to the EU’s ePrivacy regulations, says he believes YouTube’s JavaScript violates EU citizens' privacy.

“The script that [YouTube] deploys is detecting what software people are running on their machines or what behaviour their browser is exhibiting in relation to their private activities. It's not okay. It's illegal,” Hanff claims, echoing his complaint. We have a fundamental right to privacy under Article 7 of the European Charter of Fundamental Rights. We have a fundamental right to data protection under Article 8.”

Full article:  https://www.wired.co.uk/article/youtube-ad-blocker-detection-eu-privacy-law

Websites are required to ask permission for "cookies", and this falls under the same umbrella but the ad-blocking detection is much more intrusive.  

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think the recent dramatic fall in Youtube premium subscribers may have been the impetus for Youtube's action.  It's fallen due to premium free content being reduced to almost nothing - there used to be a fantastic library of music, TV shows and movies but not so much anymore.  The only thing Premium has to offer now is ad-free, and it's not cheap compared to what other content providers/streaming services offer with no ads. I opted out of Youtube Premium after I noticed the decline in content about 3 years ago. 

Why is the EU decision relevant to those outside the EU?

Well, a little while ago the EU handed down a decision that all mobile devices sold within their jurisdiction must have the common charging port regardless of brand, operating system etc leaving Apple as an outlier.  Apple subsequently announced they'll be moving to USB-C worldwide.  The legislation includes phones, laptops and tablets.  

Following Parliament’s approval, EU consumers will soon be able to use a single charging solution for their electronic devices.

By the end of 2024, all mobile phones, tablets and cameras sold in the EU will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C charging port. From spring 2026, the obligation will extend to laptops. The new law, adopted by plenary on Tuesday with 602 votes in favour, 13 against and 8 abstentions, is part of a broader EU effort to reduce e-waste and to empower consumers to make more sustainable choices.

Under the new rules, consumers will no longer need a different charger every time they purchase a new device, as they will be able to use one single charger for a whole range of small and medium-sized portable electronic devices.

Regardless of their manufacturer, all new mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles and portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, portable navigation systems, earbuds and laptops that are rechargeable via a wired cable, operating with a power delivery of up to 100 Watts, will have to be equipped with a USB Type-C port.

All devices that support fast charging will now have the same charging speed, allowing users to charge their devices at the same speed with any compatible charger.

Full article here: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

I think we all know why Apple remained on their proprietary chargers....  Contrary to popular belief and the displays of mobile device peripherals/accessories would indicate, only 30% of mobile phone users are actually using iPhones etc.  

Anyway, it's hoped that Youtube, like Apple, will either concede defeat outside of the EU or other jurisdictions will pass similar laws.

For those that are interested, the browser plugin for Chrome, Adblock Origin still works fine on Youtube; you just have to update the filters every couple of days and that only takes seconds. Just remember to "whiltelist" this forum :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Got so fed up with ads I went Premium.. sooo much better for such a small outlay. Blood pressure reduced !!!

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Got so fed up with ads I went Premium.. sooo much better for such a small outlay. Blood pressure reduced !!!

I couldn't be bothered with it given the only advantage is no ads.  If they want to charge the same as a streaming service they should provide the same is my thinking.  As I said, they used to give you a heap of free movies and TV shows in the past, not so anymore.  I can guess that a rationalisation would be that the content creators on the platform is the content, but I don't see it that way. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I couldn't be bothered with it given the only advantage is no ads.  If they want to charge the same as a streaming service they should provide the same is my thinking.  As I said, they used to give you a heap of free movies and TV shows in the past, not so anymore.  I can guess that a rationalisation would be that the content creators on the platform is the content, but I don't see it that way. 

I actually took a look at the movie listing last night for the 1st time in forever. A few reasonably up to date movies not yet on Netflix I.e. Barbie and Super Mario available for around 180php to rent - not bad in my opinion but most of the library was as outdated as both Netflix and Prime Video so hardly enticing.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I actually took a look at the movie listing last night for the 1st time in forever. A few reasonably up to date movies not yet on Netflix I.e. Barbie and Super Mario available for around 180php to rent - not bad in my opinion but most of the library was as outdated as both Netflix and Prime Video so hardly enticing.

That's my point mate, it used to be up to date and latest release movies were included with premium.  Well the ones they had the streaming rights to anyway. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I just wait 5 seconds and hit skip ad....but then I am a luddite and dont understand half of what the article said :hystery: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

I use adblockers so i never see ads but recently on a friends computer there were ads constantly, no sir not for me, and no i'm not paying, there are better alternatives out there.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I won’t pay so I just switch off or go and make a coffee , better things to do then watch something I’ve never thought I would need or want 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Same here.  My family and I watch a lot of You Tube.  They kept piling on the ads in an obvious strategy to get Premium users.  After the first month free I just got my first U.S. credit card billing.  $4.31 for 5 users.

Actually even before I got the premium I was finding free movies.  I like old westerns and there are a lot of those.  Last night I ran across a trailer for the 2017 Tom Cruise movie American Made, and it looked interesting.  A search of You Tube had a version for free.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Same here.  My family and I watch a lot of You Tube.  They kept piling on the ads in an obvious strategy to get Premium users.  After the first month free I just got my first U.S. credit card billing.  $4.31 for 5 users.

Actually even before I got the premium I was finding free movies.  I like old westerns and there are a lot of those.  Last night I ran across a trailer for the 2017 Tom Cruise movie American Made, and it looked interesting.  A search of You Tube had a version for free.

Interesting, when I was last on it 3 years ago it was $14.95AUD a month.  

I just checked and in Australia it's now $16.99AUD a month. 

image.png

With the only benefit being ad-free and no included premium content anymore, I'll just stick to my ad blocker.