Senior High School Is Not Going Anywhere, And An Education Advocate Explains Why It's Here To Stay

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No problem -

My son is in Grade 6, going into Grade 7 next school year.  The Fees are in the region of about 75kphp a year, including books, PE Kit etc etc.  I do not consider this particularly expensive or that he attends an elite school. Satisfactory, yes.  I won't comment on whether the number is affordable to many as that's not my call.  

If I think back to my Grade 6 days, it seems that in general some subjects are more advanced here i.e. Maths and Science and some less so i.e. English and Geography.  I would say the level overall is broadly similar but perhaps I went to a poor school (not perhaps, I did) and my son goes to an above-average school (probably true).

For the avoidance of doubt - I am in no way suggesting the education system here is good but there are pockets of satisfactory schools.  That doesn't help the majority of kids here and I'm well aware of that.  

Unfortunately I think the 75K per year would be beyond the reach of most Filipino families, especially those with 2-4 children of school age. 

Per google <snip>In 2022, the median monthly wage rate of time-rated full-time workers in the Philippines amounted to 18,423 Philippine pesos.<end snip>

• Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Unfortunately I think the 75K per year would be beyond the reach of most Filipino families, especially those with 2-4 children of school age. 

Per google <snip>In 2022, the median monthly wage rate of time-rated full-time workers in the Philippines amounted to 18,423 Philippine pesos

Which is why a quality public education is so important but there is no national will, for reasons already mentioned.

I see no change in the future therefore our children supplement their moderately priced private school classes with online study from Singapore based courses. I include a geography course as I find many people have no idea where they are located on planet earth.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Per google <snip>In 2022, the median monthly wage rate of time-rated full-time workers in the Philippines amounted to 18,423 Philippine pesos.<end snip>

I understand that but can only speak for myself as an ex-pat with one child which is why I said it's not my call.