Metro Manila has worst traffic in the world

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Sometimes it not good to be number one. :popcorn:

https://www.manilatimes.net/2024/01/19/news/national/metro-manila-has-worst-traffic-in-the-world/1928663

Metro Manila had an average travel time of 25 minutes and 30 seconds per 10 kilometers in 2023, compared to 24 minutes and 50 seconds in 2022. It has a congestion level of 52 percent

Lima, the capital of Peru, is in second place with an average travel time of 24 minutes and 20 seconds per 10 km, followed by Bengaluru, India (23 minutes, 50 seconds); Sapporo, Japan (23 minutes, 30 seconds) and Bogota, Colombia (23 minutes, 30 seconds).

Also in the top 10 are the Taiwanese cities of Taichung and Kaohsiung, ranked 6th and 8th respectively, Mumbai and Pune in India, 7th and 9th. Nagoya, Japan ranked 10th.

Brussels, Belgium and Geneva, Switzerland, as well as Tokyo, Japan, were in the top 15.

The TomTom Traffic Index selected and ranked 387 cities in 55 countries and 6 continents.

"The Index aims to rank these cities based on their average travel time and provide free access to city-by-city information," it wrote. "In the Traffic Index, we use a representative sample of this data, spanning 551 billion km, to assess and show how traffic has evolved in cities around the globe throughout 2023." It is based on floating car data, which is collected from various sources "to create traffic services for our clients and customers."

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The Metro Manila traffic situation can easily be improved.  First.  You need to eliminate inefficient jeepneys by converting to larger capacity vehicles such as a minimum of 25 passenger seats.  Second.  Pay the bus driver and conductor salaries rather than the current boundary system that encourages transportation vehicles to "stand by" waiting for a full load.  This clogs the streets with what is essentially parked vehicles and delays passengers already on board from reaching their destination in a timely manner.  Third.  You can only board taxis from a designated taxi stand.  Otherwise, you will observe taxi drivers driving slowly looking for potential fares.  Fourth.  Create more parking garages for private cars.  Private car drivers go around in circles or illegally park until chased away by the police.  They are waiting for owners to finish their business meeting.

Firth: fairly enforce the existing traffic laws. Sixth: erect more barriers to prevent illegal left and u-turns. Seventh: clear the right lanes of “businesses” that encroach on the roadway as well as illegally parked vehicles and actively enforce the “……use right lane only” laws where applicable. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Firth: fairly enforce the existing traffic laws. Sixth: erect more barriers to prevent illegal left and u-turns. Seventh: clear the right lanes of “businesses” that encroach on the roadway as well as illegally parked vehicles and actively enforce the “……use right lane only” laws where applicable. 

I was thinking similar thoughts.  New rules mean nothing without enforcement.  Enforcement will not happen due to the inherent culture of corruption.  Corruption is built into the system and many citizens find it an easier way to live, rather than band together to end it.  E.g., traffic violations, easier to pay p500 on the spot than get a ticket and have to go someplace to pay or fight it.

I don't see how that system can ever change for the better.  Some have tried, and failed.

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I was thinking similar thoughts.  New rules mean nothing without enforcement.  Enforcement will not happen due to the inherent culture of corruption.  Corruption is built into the system and many citizens find it an easier way to live, rather than band together to end it.  E.g., traffic violations, easier to pay p500 on the spot than get a ticket and have to go someplace to pay or fight it.

I don't see how that system can ever change for the better.  Some have tried, and failed.

I have said many times the problem is not the drivers.  Its the LTO and lack of traffic enforcement.  IF,..you could somehow end corruption, you would be amazed how fast drivers would comply after a few traffic citations would be issued and word got around.    The other issue is parking or should I say lack of parking.  All business should be required to provide enough parking for the average number of customers expected at a given time.  AGAIN, good luck with that one.  As someone mentioned earlier, over population is a large factor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

There was a bill introduced to the house but I suspect it will not pass. :sad:

source https://congress.gov.ph/legisdocs/?v=billsresults#19

<snip>

Significance: National

Date Filed: 2022-06-30

Full Title, As Filed: AN ACT REQUIRING PARKING SPACE FROM MOTOR VEHICLE BUYERS IN METROPOLITAN AREAS AS A PRE-REQUISITE FOR THE PURCHASE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE AND REGISTRATION WITH THE LAND TRANSPORTATION OFFICE

Principal Author/s: 1. VELASCO, LORD ALLAN JAY Q.

Date Read: 2022-07-26

Primary Referral: TRANSPORTATION

Bill Status: Pending with the Committee on TRANSPORTATION since 2022-07-26

<end snip>

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't see how that system can ever change for the better.  Some have tried and failed.

We moved from a Makati hotel to Bonifacio Global City (BGC) because the area seems to be more pedestrian friendly for our daily walks.  Most motorists in this area will stop at designated crosswalks for pedestrians.  A few, of course, would pretend they didn't see you.  I have witnessed traffic enforcers flag down vehicles and observe they have been trained to start writing the ticket before confronting the driver about the violation.  The only inter-action is asking the driver for his/her license to add information and to sign the ticket before giving them a copy.  This procedure eliminates petty bribery known as "pang merienda money."  For those who are unfamiliar with the technique, several hundred pesos are attached to the bottom of a driver's license with a rubber band.  The money disappears, sometimes also the rubber band, and the traffic enforcer admonishes the driver about the violation, but no ticket.  

Last night, we went out for dinner at Bonifacio High Street that has over 100 restaurants, and the driver was instructed to look for parking elsewhere.  After we finished, our friend phoned the driver that we were ready for pick-up.  If he was driving, our friend mentioned that all the nearby office buildings are required to allow more visitor parking after 6:00pm.  This means you can use private stalls.   There is a fee of course, but the system reassures diners and shoppers that parking is available.  Our friend was a previous owner of the high-end restaurant (along with 64 others) and he mentioned deliveries are only permitted after hours.  The idea is to reduce traffic and parking congestion.  Emergency deliveries are permitted after online payment of a special fee.  

BGC might be the exception.  The area is brand new after the former Fort Bonifacio Military Camp was sold to real estate developers.  Most of the high-rise buildings are less than 30 years old.  But the system in this enclave is a step in the right direction.   By the way, there was a fight as to which municipality had jurisdiction, Makati or Taguig.  It went all the way up to the Philippine Supreme Court and Taguig won.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

BGC might be the exception.

BGC is not in the Philippines.  :smile:

I have only been once and it is a very nice place to visit, but the prices are almost like Singapore.

BGC had the huge advantage of starting from scratch.  Roadways are wide, bike lanes are almost everywhere, and pedestrians were included in the planning.  And from what you are saying, corruption in traffic enforcement is less common.  Hate to think what it would be like if Makati had control.  Makati traffic enforcement is very corrupt.

Possum
Posted
Posted

BGC was a planned community. There was and is no planning in most areas. I live in a the capital city of one of the provinces. There are NO parking garages in existence so people park in the street even though there are old "no parking" signs left over from an  earlier era. Businesses aren't required to provide adequate parking. A new 2 story restaurant was built and they provided 8 parking spaces [the employees use them]. Stop signs, traffic directional signs do not exist. How much would it cost to paint STOP on the road so the untrained would know they are supposed to stop? My wife was stopped by a 'traffic enforcer' for driving the wrong way. He said it was a one way street. She said,"Says who? where is the sign? I've live here all my life" He said,"Everyone knows." She said "No they don't because I don't know." He let her go which was fortunate for him and our legal fund. There is no law enforcement. We were told there are about 100 paid traffic enforcers but you rarely see more than 10 in a drive thru the city. There is an intersection near our daughters school. Besides the school there is also a hospital and an access road to the government offices. It is mayhem. The school and hospital asked for a traffic light 5 years ago and every year since then, nothing was done. Traffic enforcers don't work after 5PM, police do not enforce traffic regulations beyond road checks for license. Things get really insane after dark. The reason given for all this lack of enforcement is the politicians don't want to lose votes because elected office is the way to riches. We have come to the conclusion the people prefer the situation as it is as they keep reelecting the same political dynasty. So best to just go with the flow. But if you have to drive in this city for a few hours make sure you have something cool and calming to drink waiting for you at home

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

BGC is not in the Philippines.  :smile:

Nice way to describe the area.  BGC is a good business real estate development model which others in the Philippines should emulate.