Renting or buying

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering have any of our long term members here are renting the place they call home and how many years you have been doing that plus are you still happy or do you think you should have brought a place all those years ago .

I do realise the prices of properties have gone up and some are just silly prices in my view but in the future one day you just could not buy a place because of the cost .

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

I bought...very very glad I never rented.. currently on my 3rd condo. allhave done well for me.....

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I built a home and am glad not to be renting anymore...

However, a common axiom in USA years ago.... if it flies, drives, or f***s.....rent it... There is a bit of logic to that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

IMO buying can be a big risk but with risk comes rewards. 

1. Unless you a great deal on the place you buy it will be hard to sell if you want to move or go back to your homeland.

2. You don't own it unless its a condo. I know there are 100 different ways to trick the system, but have fun in court trying to explain to the judge " why you leased land from your wife..  etc.etc

3. Most houses built in the Philippines are substandard to say the lest.

A long list can follow but in the end my wife and I don't like living in other people's homes so we buy,then rent out or sell when we want to move. It has worked well for us for the last 38 years or so. However if you don't want to be a landlord or take years to sell, rent. Like i said just MHO.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, gbmmbg said:

Most houses built in the Philippines are substandard to say the lest.

Sorry but i can't agree here, we  planned/built and bought the materials, we used proved labour and after some 13 years Little problem. People tend to generalize, Not Good:tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry but i can't agree here, we  planned/built and bought the materials, we used proved labour and after some 13 years Little problem. People tend to generalize, Not Good:tiphat:

Lol. I think the word "most" when used in the context of "What do we mean by "most"? Academic linguists have traditionally agreed that when we use the word "most" in English, we usually mean anything from 51 to 99 percent of given group of people or collection of objects.Nov 19, 2009". Fits into exactly what you said. You built your house. Unfortunately more then 51% of homes in the world are not custom built.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

1 minute ago, gbmmbg said:

51 to 99 percent

Accountants use % terms to cover when they are wrong when it matterswhat can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg But you carry on with your generalizing. Many and I mean many members here built their own House, are we all wrong?

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

46 minutes ago, gbmmbg said:

51 to 99 percent

Accountants use % terms to cover when they are wrong when it matterswhat can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg But you carry on with your generalizing. Many and I mean many members here built their own House, are we all wrong?

Now im lost. Can you please explain to me how an accountant would express 51 out of 100 if not as a percentage? Well .51 would work but that makes it too easy to miss the "."  As far as generalizing, the statement "Most" would mean up to 49 percent of home are not substandard. I know you dont like %'s so .49.... So i don't think saying most would be a negative generalization. Also not quite sure how you assumed I was saying "homes built by members of this forum fit automatically into the substandard category". Asking "Are we all wrong" would imply I said you all were wrong, and that would have to include myself because I live in a house my wife and i built here in the Philippines. 

• Like 1