Peso or Dollar?

usa32
Posted
Posted

This was with a citi card on the foreign transaction fees. Probably need to shop for another. Got an american express, but most restaurants in the Philippines, dont take amex I think.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, usa32 said:

Got an american express, but most restaurants in the Philippines, dont take amex I think.

American Express charges much higher merchant fees.  This is the reason why many establishments won't accept it.  In recent years, they also cut their rewards program points in half.  I still keep their card for emergencies but limit usage to a few recurring charges like our monthly phone service.  Keeping my Amex card is also for nostalgic reasons.  It is the first card for me dating back nearly 50 years ago.  

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Same here with my AMEX, it's my oldest credit card and these days the least used for the reasons given above.

I occasionally use it for flights but that's about it.

• Like 3

usa32
Posted
Posted

I went ahead applied and approved for another amex with no foreign fees, and a BAC via with no foreign fees and hilton rewards.

I'll use these with international

• Like 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 1/22/2024 at 5:42 AM, OnMyWay said:

You need a different card.  My CapitalOne card has no foreign transaction fees and I know there are others too.

Is that a Capital One Quicksilver Visa?  That's what they issued to me, but I've actually been using my Capital One debit card, which is Mastercard.  I'm going to have to compare.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Maxheadspace said:

Is that a Capital One Quicksilver Visa?  That's what they issued to me, but I've actually been using my Capital One debit card, which is Mastercard.  I'm going to have to compare.

They have changed the names a few times since I got my card.  Mine just say "world" on it.  If you go to their website, they have some comparison tools.  The comparable to mine would be under the Travel cards

I don't think all of their cards are free of foreign transaction fees, but I think the travel cards are.

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They have changed the names a few times since I got my card.  Mine just say "world" on it.  If you go to their website, they have some comparison tools.  The comparable to mine would be under the Travel cards

I don't think all of their cards are free of foreign transaction fees, but I think the travel cards are.

The last time I travelled here to the Philippines I contacted Capital One to inform them I would be traveling here.  They replied, "no need to notify us of foreign travel; we know where you are."  I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!  😲

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Maxheadspace said:

The last time I travelled here to the Philippines I contacted Capital One to inform them I would be traveling here.  They replied, "no need to notify us of foreign travel; we know where you are."  I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!  😲

Yes, they got rid of the travel notifications several years back.  I think it roughly coincided with the deployment of the chip cards.

• Hmm thinking 1

longway
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Maxheadspace said:

I notified my bank that I would be out of the country traveling, they also said "no need" but they did explain that it was because I had charged the Air tickets on that card. They knew I was the travelor. " We know where you are going and when".

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 1/31/2024 at 9:50 AM, longway said:

They knew I was the travelor. " We know where you are going and when".

If you charged an airline ticket on the card or used it for hotel reservations, they know your destination.