LTO-7 urges vehicle owners: Get your unclaimed license plates now

Lee
Posted
Posted

CEBU CITY, Philippines — The Land Transportation Office in Central Visayas (LTO-7) is encouraging motorcycle and vehicle owners to collect their unclaimed license plates this year.

In a press statement on Jan. 26, LTO-7 Director Glen Galario urged those with temporary plates to visit the nearest LTO office to claim their plates, mentioning thousands are available in their Talisay City storage facility.

“We still have thousands of plates in our storage facility in Talisay City in Cebu and we want to intensify again the release of these license plates,” Galario said.

The latest data shows 105,127 plates distributed in the last seven months, and Galario aims to intensify efforts.

Between June 9, 2023, and January 19, 2024, 91,835 motorcycle plates and 13,154 vehicle plates were released.

“We want to intensify our efforts in distributing these plates. We want the public to know that we have plates available for them to collect,” Galario said.

To recall, LTO-7 launched last September 2023 their region-wide plate distribution campaign “Oplan Bigay Plaka” that aimed to gather data from the motorists to help them verify the availability of their license plates to reduce plate backlogs.

“We will also intensify our Oplan Bigay Plaka this year as we are optimistic to see a significant decrease of our backlogs for the license plates,” Galario said.

Clients can claim plates by bringing their original receipt and registration certificate to the nearest LTO-7 office, filling out a Plate Information Form at the Public Assistance Complaints Desk (PACD), and receiving a text confirmation within 48 hours for plate status and collection details. /clorenciana

LTO-7 urges vehicle owners: Get your unclaimed license plates now (msn.com)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Why bother? Everywhere I look I see temporary plates that say "To be issued", "Plate not issued", or "Temporary Plate". I have yet to talk with someone who has been pulled over and asked to see their current registration. Why go through the hassle or traffic, finding parking at the LTO, standing in line to get your plate or paying a fixer to get it for you. My money is that those plates will rot in storage.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Why bother? Everywhere I look I see temporary plates that say "To be issued", "Plate not issued", or "Temporary Plate". I have yet to talk with someone who has been pulled over and asked to see their current registration. Why go through the hassle or traffic, finding parking at the LTO, standing in line to get your plate or paying a fixer to get it for you. My money is that those plates will rot in storage.

Exactly.  I won't be driving from Central Negros to Talisay anytime soon to pick ours up.  Toyota were supposed to source them for us but nothing from them yet. 

• Like 4

Gator
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Exactly.  I won't be driving from Central Negros to Talisay anytime soon to pick ours up.  Toyota were supposed to source them for us but nothing from them yet. 

Had a similar issue with the license plate for my vehicle. The dealer only makes a monthly trip to the LTO office and that was in Angeles. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

They will continue to have this kind of problem because the method of issuing plates is flawed.  The computer assigns a plate number and now a plate has to be ordered, built, shipped, picked up, etc.  Each LTO office should be given a supply of new plates.  When a new vehicle is registered, or needs new plates, the plate is handed over the counter and the LTO personnel enter the plate number assigned to the vehicle.   Hey LTO decision makers, this is not rocket science, just common sense. :whistling:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Or do what they do in Australia:  New car dealers are issued plates by their state transport authority and then they inform said authority which vehicle it's been assigned to. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The computer assigns a plate number

And once ppl have that they often pay a few hundred pesos and have their own plate made (usually a cheap plastic one). I know that’s what I did with my Honda and Bristol motorcycles. So why bother making the trip or waiting in long lines? 

As a side note it only took a little over 2 years for the dealer to get the official metal plate for my Honda, lol

• Like 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

They will continue to have this kind of problem because the method of issuing plates is flawed.  The computer assigns a plate number and now a plate has to be ordered, built, shipped, picked up, etc.  Each LTO office should be given a supply of new plates.  When a new vehicle is registered, or needs new plates, the plate is handed over the counter and the LTO personnel enter the plate number assigned to the vehicle.   Hey LTO decision makers, this is not rocket science, just common sense. :whistling:

If they had a "supply", they would sell them out the back door like hotcakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We got ours in early December - car in mid-July so a wait of around 5 months.  Toyota did everything though - we just had to pop in to the dealership and they fitted the plates.  We did have to pay a supplement to extend LTO registration and TPO insurance to 3 years from the issue of the plates rather than from the original registration date - I tried to have a discussion on this but gave up when I got the glazed look from the employee.  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

We got ours in early December - car in mid-July so a wait of around 5 months.  Toyota did everything though - we just had to pop in to the dealership and they fitted the plates.  We did have to pay a supplement to extend LTO registration and TPO insurance to 3 years from the issue of the plates rather than from the original registration date - I tried to have a discussion on this but gave up when I got the glazed look from the employee.  

I'm beginning to wonder if the backlog was specifically a Region 7 issue for some reason?